Championsway

Updated January 2, 2015
2.9

Farid Dordar

Great Product, Great Company, Great Opportunities

I have been working at Championsway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In a fast fast paced technology business, vision and innovation is key. At Champions Way we are fortunate to have both. The vision of our CEO as well as the innovation is impossible to ignore. For 12 years we have dominated the Martial Arts industry, and we are moving in a direction where the future looks even brighter.

Cons

If you don't have a strong work ethic then we are not for you. If you are a person who is late frequently then we are not for you. If you are not looking to grow as a person then we are not for you.

Amazing Workplace!

Current Employee - Success Coordinator in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Success Coordinator in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Championsway as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Championsway is very rewarding and fun. It has a very positive bonding culture amongst the employees and management. All staff treat and encourage one another with respect. There is a high level of discipline on the floor as many of the staff have been active athletes and martial artists.

What has impressed me the most is that everyone works with integrity and the strong willingness to help all clients and especially the ones that are struggling financially. Some of the individuals in senior management were once school owners themselves and can truly relate to what our clients go through on a daily basis. And because of this, I was able to learn the nature of the industry and how to best help them.

The company is always pushing forward to improve by communicating and listening to everyone’s opinions and critiques. Every month, a sync meeting is held where the entire staff get together to share and update each department’s status quo and future plans. It is evident that all voices are heard and valued at Championsway.

Every day around lunch time, there is a fresh fruit basket for all staff. On Fridays, the Fun Committee hosts weekly tournaments for air hockey, table tennis, Fifa, and more in the staff lounge.

Cons

Computers are very slow at times and gets really frustrating
    Irregular office temperature - it gets too hot on one side of the building
    Poor phone quality - unable to carry conversations with clients

Please don't miss out on any of the sync-meetings.

Culture is Broken, Broken, Broken Fear and Intimidation are the Prime Motivators

Former Employee - Sales Manager in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Championsway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some previous reviews have been unfair in criticising the company culture in referring to employees calling the CEO, "Master Farid". It is not required to call him Master Farid but many people do so in deference to his many accomplishments in Martial Arts.

The sales team at ChampionsWay is world class and I will always be proud of having worked with them. The sales team cares about their clients even if the company does not.

There are many great people who work at ChampionsWay and at least while you are miserable you have people to commiserate with.

There are forces within the company pushing for positive change.

Cons

There is close to zero marketing support. This means sales are required to generate their leads through almost 100% cold calling.

Customer care is outsourced to India which means as a member of the sales team a lot of your day is spent taking care of damaged or upset clients.

Sales people love to complain about unrealistic targets, however; the targets at ChampionsWay are the most unrealistic I have ever seen. Even if by some miracle you do accomplish these targets count on having to sit down with Ali Sanei (the COO) and be told what a failure you are.

Count on having to fight for every dime you make. The company often changes the rules unilaterally to avoid paying bonuses and commissions. When people stand up and fight for the monies they are owed, there have been instances when those people have been fired. This naturally has created an environment of fear amongst staff at ChampionsWay wherein people are nervous to fight for money they are rightfully owed.

Management is dominated by Iranians. There is a very strong undercurrent of racism in the office toward any members of management or staff who are not from Iran.

There is a culture of yelling and screaming. This culture is led from the top down.

People deserve to feel safe at work. There were times while working with Ali Sanei I felt as if I might be physically assaulted.

The environment is one of condescension, expect to be treated as a child and not a competent professional.

There are tons of people at the company who care about the company, their clients and their coworkers. The main poison within ChampionsWay is the COO Ali Sanei. Ali lords his power over all members of staff and leads through power, intimidation and fear in order to get things done. If the company were to remove Ali; I see the fortunes of ChampionsWay turning around quickly. Until that happens the cycle of people and going will not end.

Dec 12, 2014HR Manager

Championsway disagrees with the accuracy of this review.

Challenging but Exciting

I have been working at Championsway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The opportunities are everywhere and it's really up to you what you do with them. There seems to be a real willingness from management to continually improve processes, strategies and company culture. People in all departments are positive and there are many employees and managers that have been with the company for years. It's nice to feel like you have a real impact in what you do. Management encourages professional development and seek to utilize the unique skills of each employee. It's a great place to learn.

Cons

I guess it depends which position you're applying for, but there could be better training. You'll likely be expected to hit the ground running and learn quickly. If you're looking for a slack 9-5 job, this may not be the one for you. It can be difficult making deadlines and achieving goals at times due to the fast-paced nature of the job.

Having a structured onboarding process could make it easier for new employees to adapt more quickly to their new positions. Creating an internal information-sharing network would be great for interdepartmental communication as most of us don't really know what employees do in other departments.

Nov 4, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for your review. We are in fact reviewing the current onboarding process and making changes to it in order to address many of the concerns you have brought up. As soon as the new process is ... More

Every day gets better.

I have been working at Championsway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Every day gets better; the company gets better, the culture gets better, I get better.
    If you aren't looking for a challenge -- don't work here.

Everyday I go to work and look forward to working hard, improving and seeing results. I am surrounded by fun-loving people who are passionate about their work, about learning, growing and succeeding together. The environment is fast-paced, which I love, and demands a sense of urgency.. if you are a problem-solver that is quick on your feet with a good sense of humor you will love it here too.

I can talk about beer Fridays, the fun sports events and activities, the young atmosphere, and other "perks" -- but the pros of working here, for myself, are the vast opportunities available to make a difference and an impact for the company. We are given feedback that allows us to improve and continuously push ourselves to strive for something more. I've watched myself grow both personally and professionally in my time here and I am looking forward to continue to grow with the company, as we both get better together.

Cons

There is a clock-in/clock-out system which I find to be out-dated and out-of-place for an IT company. Also, the office decor is drab, unattractive and uninspired -- but many improvements are being made.

Also, someone wrote a review on here that the only thing good about the office was the coffee and claimed everything else to be "fake"..well, the coffee is terrible. The coffee is so bad that I can only conclude that review must be fake, fake, fake.

The company is still maturing, and I feel we are heading in the right direction but still many growing pains.

Keep exploring innovative leadership practices. Continue to invest in the company and your people and remember that people are not resources! People are people and as such should be treated as humans not as finite resources.

Times...They Are A Changing!

I have been working at Championsway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A couple clarifications to be made:

a) There is no racism in this company. Frankly a harsh allegation. We have an extremely ethnically diverse staff, all with equal opportunities for growth.

b) No staff member is required to call anyone "Master." The CEO is a former World Champion Kick Boxer, and in the Martial Arts industry, someone gains the title of "Master" through the belt progression system. The CEO used to instruct the Black Belt class at his gym, and over the years, many of his students (who refer to him as "Master", as per the MA culture), began to work here at Championsway. This culture transferred over and caught on within the organization. Calling the CEO "Master" is a byproduct of staff coming from the MA industry and showing their respect to him for his years of success. Many staff members do not call him "Master".

The pros of this company are:

a) The product that this company develops is a first class product with tremendous growth potential globally.

b) The current staff have high energy, are positive and committed to being part of a growing company where they can add value. The new hires are fitting the same profiles and are contributing to a fun and changing work environment.

c) Development opportunities. As the company continues to grow, there will be more opportunities for current staff to grow into leadership/management positions.

d) With culture being a key attraction and retention factor in organizations these days, the leadership team is committed to investing into and promoting a fun, respectful and productive environment. Many changes have already been implemented and a culture shift has begun.

e) Willingness of the leadership to change and try new ways of doing business.

Cons

This company works at an extremely fast pace; the nature of a SaaS modeled company. The expectations of the management team are extremely high, and can sometimes be unreasonable. This is however, where our innovation comes from; pushing the boundaries. This is a challenging work environment based on the expectations of a truly passionate leadership team pushing for global market share with a product that is exceptional.

Based on these expectations, salaries could be a bit higher and more paid time off could be offered to staff. Work-life balance is encouraged, however sometimes it is tough considering some of the expectations. The feel of this company is much like a start-up. Put the hard work in now to reap the rewards of growth later on.

I commend the leadership team on their willingness to focus on their staff as of late. They have committed to promote and invest in a fun, respectful and productive work environment. Their willingness to change and try new processes, procedures and techniques is encouraging. No company is perfect. The leadership team is aware of the past and very excited about the future. They are bringing on some top notch talent to help drive this company forward. My advice to them is to continue to focus on your staff, as the people that work in a company is what makes that company a successful one.

Fake, fake, fake from beginning to the end

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Championsway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coffee is good. That is it.

Cons

Coffee is good
    Championsway and Perfectmind are same company. I would not be surprised if they came up with new name like ChampionsMind or other SellYouCrapWay.
    They call themselves "A Family". It's a 6-8 people management crew, other people treated like slaves or servants. "Bring me a coffee" is an easiest task.
    Fake smiles and handshakes. Fake posts and “likes” on Facebook, fake reviews, even on the website video interviews with people who cancelled their service with Championsway and Perfectmind right after they tried it. Words in this company do not mean anything. Everything promised on the interview had to ask and fight for it. Did not get a salary increase. No promotions, no future, just an empty words. Other people did not get a salary increase in years.
    Micromanaged by CEO every department. Constantly stealing and coping other company’s ideas. He teaches developers how to develop, UI to do UI, sales how to sell, designers how to design, marketers how to do marketing, etc. “Genius” everywhere. Never happy with results.

The talking" is main thing. If you can talk and blame someone else you will survive. Just talking, talking, talking.... Empty words... No opportunity to grow, step left, step right prohibited.
    People's personal problems are not company's problem, if there is a something – “fired” them. Answer for everything. No person - no problem. People with broken leg jumping on the stairs - just a joke and fun. "Fire them" (I don't feel like work with you anymore).
    Who comes earlier and stays late is a good employee. Does not matter how much work was done in regular hours. Every month - new faces. People come and go. After couple month did not even bother to remember names.

Brainwash constantly (every month) with talking how great this company is. In reality there are no all of that. Only one thing is good- coffee. That is it.
    Two words to describe the company: ” Cheap and Fake”.
    I would not recommend this this company even to my enemy.

Don't care

If you want to serve to MASTER work here

Former Employee - Account Manager in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Pune (India)

I worked at Championsway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talking really nicely about you for 90 days after initial hire. No growth potential. You will be doing the same thing two years after they hire you. You can get frustrated and you will be called negative influence and get fired from job.

Cons

After you spend some time here, you will notice the management starts to speak to you differently. No processes in place. Nothing is documented. You have to figure out for yourself where you belong and what your job is. Managers are always under pressure to perform and CEO doesnot listen to them.They are losing good employees by the ton as they can't justify overworking the employees with minimum wage.

Get some documentation in place for people who work for you so that processes are in place.
    Honestly, employees who work hard and brought your sorry company out from the dark ages need to be retained and not fired. Don't blame them for your short comings. Pay them what they deserve, and not fire them. They are already working for you while getting underpaid and have families to feed and take care of.

Aug 19, 2014HR Manager

We'd like to comment on this review as we feel it needs some clarification. This individual was never an employee of our company, but an employee of the company that we contracted out to help us in ... More

Great Place to work

I worked at Championsway

Pros

Competitive envoirnment
    Great co workers
    Management create a clear path in terms of career progression
    Effort = reward and hard work won't go unnoticed

Cons

I found a position I loved and couldn't call out any cons. Very happy

Keep it going, keep pushing to better, more innovative and inspiring.

A side note- I had to leave the company due to personal reasons but if that wasn't the case I saw myself there long term. If you want a challenge in a friendly envoirnment this is the place for you!

Hopeless company to work for.Don't waste your time working for this company.No future working in this organization.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Championsway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None -disappointed that I worked for such a company. Employees are overworked and not paid overtime.

Cons

Was fired though the employee was hardworking. Any conversations with CEO are not confidential. Will use the conversations with CEO on phone which are confidential in nature against you.

CEO is not a people person. He has total disregard for people with families and fires them as soon as they speak up. Has outsourced to India and is trying to downsize.

Championsway Photos