Champlain College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Physical Plant

Physical Plant (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsVery well rounded set of employees.

ConsManagement not very involved in getting to know its employees on a personal level.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication skills

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

High Potential, Little Self Reflection and Organizational Responsiveness

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsGreat variety of classes, expert instructors in some areas that come from realms of real-world experience especially business and game design, and generally decent and functional facilities with good staffing on physical spaces front. A small enough school to network within your realm easily, and approach direct supervisors without needing a set reason or appointment. Faculty can often be found in their offices, and people generally seem to like being there. Attempts by staff and admin to really enrich student life with events, speakers and support of student clubs, bring it far past its days as a accounting school for locals.

ConsSo many issues it's hard to make them seem connected. Organizationally challenged to the point of dysfunctional, not clear emphasis on any of the things they call "core values" or stated objectives and goals; lack of followthrough and accountability of both leadership and instructors seems par; student failure/mediocrity/flakiness is seemingly ok as long as they keep paying tuition; serious concerns about ability to keep up high-esteem that exists given that acceptance and retention rates aren't wonderful. Some facilities and initiatives seem funded but inaccessible to the college community. From an academic perspective, it is no longer the place for adult learners. Despite strong classes, the culture is not as tied to real-world, work- and life-experience as it boasts to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the duplicative jobs, roles, and be more accountable to students. Make staff/adjunct/faculty training and accountability a value. Deliver on the promises of your core values with actionable planning. Coordinate.

Two positions: Library Aide and Student Tutor

Library Aide/Student Tutor (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsThese have been great opportunities to both build my resume and to earn a little extra cash while in school here.

ConsSometimes it can present a challenge when the payment systems change and you are unknowingly left with outstanding OnBoarding to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps find room to make a few more positions non-workstudy on campus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Emergent Media Center

Part Time Student Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsI loved working at the emergent media center I had the opportunity to create my own hours, work with some really GREAT STAFF, and with an amazing company culture

ConsI can't think of anything big that I would be interested in changing. Maybe a better media services team for the college overall?

Great potential just needs effective leadership

Professor (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsGreat small town, highly energetic faculty & staff

ConsThe college has massive potential but is currently lacking in direction and effective leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the micromanagement and focus on the big picture

Champlain College is a teaching-focused educational institution with huge potential.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsChamplain is a career focused, high quality, experimental institution of higher learning, affording faculty high academic and classroom freedom. The focus is on career relevant student education. Faculty regularly work across program and division boundaries leading to huge potential for innovation.

ConsLow Levels of Faculty Support, High Expectations for Faculty Involvement, High Cost of Living, Poor Support Infrastructure and Lack of Sufficient Resources to meet Lofty Goals, Administration is Reactive, not Proactive, Administration Does Not Value Faculty Input.

Pretty nice!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsGreat place to work. Friendly co-workers and a great boss.

ConsPay is just ok, but yearly pay raises do help (assuming you've earned them).

Great school

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsAs an adjunct there is a lot of flexbility in how to run the course - maybe too much ? There is not much guidance or concern for what will be taught during the semester. This is great if you are on the ball and self motivated but could be a problem if deadwood professors slip in.

ConsSome students are unmotivated - but that is the case everywhere. As an adjunct it would be nice to be given more preparatory material for a course. So far each course I've basically been given a textbook and a blank slate. I think pay of $3k per semester per course is way to low - it should be double that.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise adjunct salaries - $3k per semester comes out to like $10/hour

Champlain College - A great place to work if your expectations aren't too high.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, VT

ProsChamplain College manages to hire some wonderful, qualified, and hard-working people - these people are one of the best reasons to work at the College. The benefits are great, in my experience, and easily accessible.

ConsThere is virtually no opportunity for career development, at least among staff. It's essentially a flat organization, and many of the long-tenured employees aren't planning on moving out of their positions, so there's a fairly large level of stasis in some of these long-tenured employees. This means there's a great deal of pushback at times in terms of change, and in a very real way the business world has passed these people by. Frankly, many of them are simply unequipped to survive in a place other than where they are. A "status quo" mentality is rampant amongst this select group of staff, and it's reflected in a high staff turnover rate. The pay scales for the staff positions lag the market, too, which probably contributes to turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementExamine the causes of turnover rates during the exit interviews, and seek direct feedback from current and former staff outside of their immediate management chain. If retaining good people amongst staff is important to senior management, then they know they have a problem but have yet to address it. This is going to be reflected in the students' experience at the College, one way or another.

Real Life Experience in a Work-Study

Designer (Current Employee)

ProsWith an extremely flexible schedule, extremely understanding staff and real-life clients, the Emergent Media Center is an invaluable resource for professional development in the guise of a work-study job.

ConsThe production cycles are stunted and are plagued by the semester cycle of Champlain. It can cause projects to take a long time and the same administrative stuff happens every three months.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive capable students more weight in decisions.

Worked for Champlain College? Contribute to the Community!