Champps Americana Reviews

Dean Vlahos

1. Customer Service

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Champps Americana (More than a year)

Pros

it,s good company and i hope to apply in this company

Cons

i have many goal to achieve in this company

2. ok

Pros

The people that come into the restaurant are cool and fun to interact with

Cons

Management loves to watch over your shoulder..annoying

3. Server/Bartender

Former Employee - Bartender/Server in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Bartender/Server in Westlake, OH

I worked at Champps Americana part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When busy, great tips; shifts were awarded based on seniority; menu was enticing & large which offered a variety of choices for customers; great place to get your foot in the door somewhere to get quick money

Cons

Management wasn't all together and where one manager would do one thing, another one would do another and the employees would get in trouble for their lack of cohesiveness. Benefits were horrible - you're better off purchasing a plan independently of the company; Open every holiday & you had to work a minimum of 3 per year; hard to get spot as bartender & they usually gave spots to servers with seniority; Store closings have become common; high turnover

5. Food Production

Current Employee - Line Cook in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Durham, NC

I have been working at Champps Americana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family Oriented and Great place to work

Cons

Lengthy Hours and the time to commute to work

Advice to Management

Great Work

6. server

Pros

great food and very good quality

Cons

no cons to report here

Advice to Management

n/a

7. Champps Americana

Former Employee - Server in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Great atmosphere! Friendly management and team embers.

Cons

Cheap menu items and ridiculous discounts to the point where a server goes home with nothing.

Advice to Management

"We'll comp that" - is not always the best decision in problem solving.

8. Better before Fox & Hound bought it out

I worked at Champps Americana full-time

Pros

-Strong store-level management -The staff (at my store, at least) worked well together -Comprehensive training kept quality high -Opportunity for advancement

Cons

-no longer a scratch kitchen -After Fox & Hound purchased this chain, they seemed to absorb many bad ideas from that brand (pool tables in the middle of a dining room, for example). -Corporate management seemed to bring little to the table

Advice to Management

This concept was much better as a scratch kitchen. They do a good job of following trends, such as craft beer and late night happy hours, but the quality of food used to be much better.

9. One of the Most Horrible Places to Work (Eastwood Towne Center in Lansing, Michigan 48912)

Former Employee - Cook in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Cook in Lansing, MI

I worked at Champps Americana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good things are as follow: You get 1 menu item (only specific ones) 1/2 off only 30 minutes before, during, or 30 minutes after your shift. Pay usually starts at $9.50/hr, except for servers, which is a little more than $2/hr I think. Lastly, most of the employees are very nice and helpful.

Cons

They train you hardly at all, which isn't good if you have no experience whatsoever and they have a thing for hiring people that just don't have any previous kitchen experience. They give you maybe a few days of training, but sometimes you go in and expect that someone will be training you just to find out that the person didn't show up and you have to figure everything out yourself. Sometimes that's on the very first day and you never even get a tour of the place yet so you don't know anything at all about the place, but the thing about this Champps is that they expect you to be an expert immediately. You can have the job interview and they can see that you have no experience working for the position you applied for, and it might even be the first job you ever had as well, yet they hire you anyway and then the managers are mean and rude and say to go faster and say how terrible you are for not being as good as them. If you aren't an expert at the job in basically less than 10 days of working there (days you work, not how long you're employed for), you just get fired and another poor soul takes your place and has to deal with the same thing. They also seem to be very sexist and treat the men differently than the women and give them a harder time and they might also be a bit more "friendly" with the female employees. They still will give the female employees a hard time if they aren't going as fast as they believe they should go, but usually they're still a lot nicer to them (well, the pretty ones at least). Another thing wrong with Champps is that they really are understaffed in the kitchen, and sometimes have just 4 people at the most working, doing all the grilling, baking, frying, sandwich making, dessert making, salad making, etc. Even when it's really busy on the weekends, they have one person doing a bunch of things at once. There's usually always one person working making all the salads, pizza, flat-breads, desserts, etc. There's one person making all the chicken, salmon, steak, etc. One person makes all the sandwiches and does the frying too. It might not seem like a lot, but if you have to make food for about 40 people in 10 minutes, it's a lot. You get a ticket that has 5 or more items on it, and as soon as you even read the first thing, another comes out and there 5 more items, then one second later another ticket with 7 items, and then another and another until you have about 7 or more tickets and about 30+ things to make all in literally 5 minutes sometimes. As soon as you get the ticket, a lot of the servers expect you to have it instantly, as do many of the employees and managers. You think to yourself that you just got the ticket for 5 different things, so how could you possibly have them all done already? You constantly have to stock your station, so if you leave the kitchen for even 30 seconds, when you get back there's usually a large amount of tickets and everyone expects everything to be done. I don't care how much experience you have cooking in a kitchen, but that's just humanly impossible. Also, they change the menu constantly without telling you, yet they expect that when you get a ticket with an unknown food item on it, you'll know how to make it (Yes, they're that dumb). They change the menu maybe every week or so. They take off items and add many all the time, so everyone is confused about how to make things. So, don't think this is an easy job. It's incredibly stressful, and you have to do a lot more than what you were told and there's many things you don't even get told or shown that the managers expect you to know. Also, everyone has their own way of doing things, so when someone does finally show you how to do something, another person will see you doing it and tell you it's wrong and to do it another way, which only annoys you and makes you lose time. Another thing, everyone that works in the kitchen has to prep as well, so if you work in the morning, you need to go in usually 3 hours before opening and you can have about 30 or more things that need to get done, and you need to have almost all done by opening, and you also can't leave work until the entire list is done. One thing on the list can take about an hour though, so try to calculate that (you also do all the prepping yourself too). So you have to prep, then the store opens and guess what? Now, you have to cook and prepare food and make it pretty and appetizing for the customers, but you still need to prep at the same time. You are told you get breaks, but if you stop for a second, nothing will get done and everything is a mess. Every day I came home hurting badly. My feet hurt the worst, but my back did too. My mental state was hurt as well. It makes you go crazy working for them. You will lose your appetite and you will constantly be tired, yet find it hard to sleep some nights, while other nights you just sleep the entire rest of your day away as soon as you get home. You lose interest in things you once loved and can't spend time with friends or family. This job WILL change you. Trust me, unless you have years of experience, don't work here. Also, have experience in everything Champps has a position for if you do decide you want to work at this horrible place, because you might apply for one job, but get another completely different job that again you have no experience in, despite you wanting the job you actually had experience in. This place really doesn't know how to run a business. One more thing, the food usually gets mixed with other food when the employees are rushing, so you might have some pepper or vinegar on something that shouldn't have it at all. Sauces are in other sauces and it's a real mess when it's busy. But it's not the employees' fault; it the manager's fault for not hiring more employees. If you work here, you'll constantly be cleaning your work station while at the same time making food, but it'll always be messy and littered with previous food scraps since you never get a break. You just keep running around making one thing after another. It's just terrible. So if you are a customer that reads this, just know that the reason why your food is late or messy looking, it's because the place is very understaffed and the employees are trying so hard they're basically killing themselves just to make you happy. Also, if you are a customer that wants to get a bite to eat for your lunch break (lucky you have time to actually get a real one) then try not to go to Champps for it, especially if the place seems crowded already. Try to think of what you're making the employees go through. They're very hard workers that badly NEED a break. So those are the things that I at least know of that are wrong with Champps.

Advice to Management

Don't be cheap; get more workers. Treat all employees nicely, treat them all equally, and show them respect. One of the most important things you need to do is: Stop being butt-heads (meant to say another word that rhymes with glass holes, but I'm not allowed to use profanity on here). Another very important thing: Give a new employee a couple of months at least to get good at their new job. Also, actually TRAIN your new employee yourself and don't get another trainee to train your new employee, because how exactly does that make sense?? Lastly, if you want them to be an expert immediately, then hire an expert and pay more. $9.50 an hour is nothing compared to what your employees really deserve. They deserve at least double the starting pay with what you put them through. They could easily get paid more at Walmart for just being a cashier (that's $10 an hour starting pay to stand and check out items for people, so there's no recipe memorization nor do they have no help, but instead they have a lot of help from the many other cashiers). Lastly, don't think your restaurant is the best, because it's far from it. The food isn't the best and it's not for a lack of trying on the employees' end. It's because you guys are so understaffed and are over-working your employees and you lack the ability to actually give people a chance and take it easy on them. Encourage your employees and maybe one time you can tell them they need to go faster, but don't rudely/meanly say it and yell it to them. If they really are trying their best, then telling them to go faster only makes them feel more pressure, it makes them lose track of thought, and they in the end go slower because of it and they feel as though they're not good enough, so they quit. Stop pressuring them, and you'll soon see an improved performance. I personally did great when there were a few days in a row where I wasn't working when the managers were there. When it was only the other employees and myself, no managers (or maybe one, but the manager stayed in the office all day), we all did so much better. We all got our prep lists done before opening, myself included, and then I did perfectly with making food and didn't make any mistakes. Now, what does that tell you? I know for me, it just shows that you managers are doing something wrong and think too highly of yourselves. You're not that perfect nor are you that good at the job yourselves. Most of you go slower than any other employees and it was always really annoying when I'd be rushing and I'd see you all walking around like a snail, sometimes even slower than that. Lastly, I don't know why you guys keep firing people recently if so many people have been quitting recently as well (really a mystery why so many have been quitting). There's no way you guys will last. You guys really don't know how to run a business at all. That's the best advice I can give you guys, but knowing you all, you guys won't change and nothing is going to get better.

10. server

Current Employee - Server in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Champps Americana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy management nice coworkers nice short hours for good pay

Cons

average lunch not enough hours

Advice to Management

none

11. It was always interesting to meet new patrons and customers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Champps Americana part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One good reason to work at Champps is the earning potential (tips). Another good reason to work at Champps is it's fast paced nature. There's a sense of gratification in seeing your tasks complete and instant satisfaction from the recipients of your hard work and attentiveness.

Cons

The cons derive from my personal experience as an employee at my particular location. My co-workers left a lot to be desire as in the completing everything within their job description contributes to the overall success of the team was severely lacking.

Advice to Management

When things get to be problematic, look at all involved in a problem then take action.

RSS Feed </> Embed