Chandler Unified School District

3.9
CEO

1. Awesome

I worked at Chandler Unified School District part-time

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work here at this place, would be the great people

Cons

Some of the most awful things about working here is not having more than 40 hours a week, I could not get enough

Advice to Management

Good job, keep it coming, never quit, a smile can change a day, and a day can change a life time

2. Not to be overlooked

Pros

Great school staffing, caring about the kids, and high expectations for all

Cons

The only con is it's in the State of Arizona.

3. A job to consider

I worked at Chandler Unified School District full-time

Pros

Great district to work for. Parties for all staff before holidays and a friendly environment. Also understanding that life happens and family issues arise. I've never had a problem requesting time off or leaving for an emergency.

Cons

Constantly asking for more and more from all staff for little compensation. It burns you out and makes you drag your feet to and from your car.

5. Excellent School District

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Chandler, AZ

Pros

Great administration and training for substitute teachers. Substitute teaching coordinator is very supportive. The school environments are all positive and welcoming. School facilities are well kept. Pay is competitive for the area.

Cons

Substitute teaching assignments not available every day.

6. Overall good

I worked at Chandler Unified School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty high compared to other school districts and the work environment is stable

Cons

I didn't work there too long so can't talk much about it. The management inside schools could be improved though.

7. CUSD provides the best of teaching... and the worst

Former Employee - Math Instructor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Math Instructor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Chandler Unified School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even though it comes with baggage, the teaching profession is extremely fulfilling. Not many careers offer the opportunity to influence so many lives for the better. When students take time to express simple gratitude, it validates your diligence through all of the difficult days. On the last day of each school year, I invariably felt proud of the accomplishments of my kids, however large or small they may have been. I believe that most teachers choose their career because they are passionate about learning, whether in general or as it relates to a particular subject. I certainly felt this way, and thus teaching allowed me to do something that I loved for a living. As a parent of four children of my own, perhaps the most valuable nugget that I have gleaned from my teaching years is a detailed understanding of what not to do.

Cons

The simple reality is that our society undervalues teachers. When it comes to salary, public respect, and legislation, teachers do not get what they deserve. I understand that none of this is the fault of the district or even individual schools, but more could be done to defend their front line employees. Despite being one of the most well-funded districts in the state (thanks to open enrollment, successful budget overrides, and a rather large population of students from affluent families), there are fewer technology resources available than you might expect. Teachers are not issued laptops, which seems to run counter to standard policy in pretty much every other district. It would be fine if those savings were used to upgrade classroom tech, but that's not the case. A classroom was cleared for me shortly after I was hired, but I went nearly a full semester with no teacher’s desk, no computer, no projector, and a single whiteboard. I used my personal laptop to take attendance on the library’s Wi-Fi and brought in a large desk that had belonged to a sibling who moved across the country. The school finally got around to giving me an old, crusty projector that sat on a busted cart and had a thick power cable that was constantly tripping me as I taught in front of the students. A full year passed before I received a desktop computer, and it took a year and a half to get a proper projector installed in the ceiling. All of this is to say nothing of the district’s practice of arbitrarily blocking websites, disallowing software installation without a lengthy, non-transparent review process, and requiring IT admin permission to change something as simple as ClearType settings on district machines. The entire situation is really quite pathetic. (None of this is meant to suggest that I believe technology is somehow crucial to student success, but it was frustrating to not have access to the same basic resources as my peers.) I will never forget a first-year experience that involved a football player. As a senior, he was placed in a bottom-of-the-barrel-just-hurry-up-and-graduate math class and yet somehow found himself failing in the weeks leading up to the state championship. Naturally, this young man was overcome with emotion and shock at the prospect of facing consequences for his deplorable effort. He went straight to his coach, who then—in a petty and despicable manner—called my classroom in the middle of a lesson to ask why a member of his team was not receiving special treatment. When I informed him of the absurdity of his expectations, he promised to appeal to the principal in order to resolve the situation. My hopes that the principal would act as an impartial judge were quickly dashed as I was guilt-tripped and all but coerced into fudging the grade. It pains me to think of all the past and future football who will likewise enjoy singular coming-of-age experiences at the expense of learning accountability.

Advice to Management

As unrealistic as it sounds, administrators should continue to teach in a normal setting to some degree. This would serve to keep them grounded in the profession.

8. Network Administrator IT Security

Pros

Flexible and extremely fair, the district provides a succeeding environment.

Cons

Salary is under market average due to economy and bonds.

Advice to Management

Consider reinvestment for technology certifications.

9. They are very supportive and protective of their teachers. They work hard to keep good teachers.

Current Employee - Teacher in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chandler, AZ

Pros

The have a great support system to help teachers get their hours of recertification.

Cons

The only negative is that insurance is expensive.

Advice to Management

The management of the district is great

10. Best district to work for!

Former Employee - High School Teacher in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Chandler Unified School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When all of the other districts were laying off, Chandler did not. They did all they could do to retain employees that wanted to be there.

Cons

Their 'big brother' attitude is a bit too much. The control over internet access for students and teachers is way too controlling in this day. They are not as 'forward thinking' as I would like.

11. Live & Learn

Current Employee - IT/AV Technology in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - IT/AV Technology in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Chandler Unified School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community, Kids, and great energy around you. Teachers are true hero's!

Cons

Rampant Nepotism, interdepartmental in fighting, old school ignorance, very political.

Advice to Management

Get District#80 and individual School Management on same page. Break the vicious "Farm Family" nepotism, weed out those waiting to retire/faking it. Bring in outside purchasing to break up family contract awards. Bring in senior outside management. New Superintendent

RSS Feed </> Embed