Chandler Unified School District

Updated July 4, 2014
Updated July 4, 2014

3.6

CEO

Supportive district, lots of training available, room to be creative

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Chandler Unified School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clean, newer buildings, with up-to-date "ish" technology; curriculum that was geared to really work with elevating kid performance; supportive administration

Cons

Clique"y" staff; stuffy, uptight teachers who felt like they were maybe better than everyone else; high expectations on your personal time

Work to break up the catty women and their groups

ok as school districts go in Arizona. best of a poor lot!

Former Employee - Custodian  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Custodian in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Chandler Unified School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

decent academic standing. good parent participation in volunteer activities.

Cons

poor management. little to no opportunity for growth unless you are political with district. superintendent and associate superintendents very cliquey. shortage of fulltime positions as f/t positions come with benefits they try to avoid paying. football program means more than academics at some high schools. (Hamilton high)

train your mid level managers in people skills. (many are sorely lacking in them.) follow district policies in internal promotion to foster growth in district. many times jobs aren't even posted internally or candidate is already picked before job is even posted.

Great Regular Employment

Former Employee - Program Secretary  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Program Secretary in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Chandler Unified School District full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Same work schedules, vacations, holidays

Cons

Some middle management should be out the door.

Remember to listen to all parties.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Family Culture

Former Employee - Paraprofessional  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Chandler Unified School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Central office cares about employees
    Strong financial school district
    Well maintained schools

Cons

Gossip about other staff's personal lives

Increase use of Teaching Intern program to attract mid-life career changers to education

Stable as far as AZ goes

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Chandler Unified School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Dedicated staff, supportive board and superintendent. Great community, clean, new schools. Excellent resources available and decent district training opportunities

Cons

Located in the state of AZ, funding is abysmal. In the last 5 years I have seen my pay decrease as a result in cuts to special programs and revenue. Salary was restructured, very little opportunity to advance through hard work

Pay the best teachers more so you can retain the nest

Not bad when school is in session and able to get OT.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Chandler Unified School District

Pros

9 weeks on and 2 weeks off.
    Flexible schedule, you can choose a very short route (4 hrs/day) or a longer route (7 hrs/day) or you can set your own schedule by just doing trips. If you are retired or have other source of income this can be a great supplemental job. Lots of holidays.

Cons

No opportunity to advance unless you do your share of brown-nosing. Management does not reward outstanding performance by employees (i.e. "employee of the week" is a name drawn from a hat, literally), why not actually reward employees for a job well done. 9 weeks on and 2 weeks off, unpaid. After 5-7 years when you have some senority you may be able to do a route or trips for the 12+/- weeks school is out during the year. Very little loyalty in management.

Be loyal. Reward outstanding behavior and treat all employees the same. Employees want to see you when caught doing something right not just when doing something wrong.

Enjoyed my experience, but felt some dissatisfaction

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Chandler Unified School District

Pros

Great benefits, nice classrooms, lots of teacher resources, great support from principals, the ability to work for one of the highest paying districts in the Phoenix area.

Cons

My experience with CUSD was very up and down. My first three years were great, but when the program I was working for was forced to close due to budget cuts, I was transferred to another location. There I felt as though I was a threat to many of the teachers who had been working there for sometime, and as though my opinion didn't matter. After having taught for ten years, and then being treated as though I was a brand new teacher, I felt frustrated and saddened. After a tough year of having to "prove myself" I was ready to leave the teaching field in search of something else.

Often times teachers become too comfortable in their positions and become negative or complacent. I feel strongly as though some encouragement to move around grade levels would be beneficial to all.

Good job for retired people and college students

Current Employee - School Bus Driver  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Chandler Unified School District

Pros

Pay for this position is on the higher scale for this type of job. Other bus drivers are generally pretty nice.

Cons

Split shift.... You work in the morning have to clock out and then work in the afternoon. There were no really full time positions. Not guaranteed 40hr unless you were admistrative.

Be more empathetic

good district but has some problems

I worked at Chandler Unified School District

Pros

Good academic ranking, good access to technology, adequate class room supplies

Cons

disappointing support from administration, sports (football) prioritized over academics

Support your teachers, it's good for morale. Cave to every parent's whim and watch as the good teachers leave.

Worked for Chandler Unified School District? Contribute to the Community!