Changi General Hospital

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014
3.2

CEO

Good company to work with

I have been working at Changi General Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good values & teamwork for collaboration

Cons

Aging population poses challenges to healthcare sector

Good employee engagement

Choose the department properly

Current Employee - Executive in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Changi General Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The current CEO, Dr Lee is a very understanding and supportive leader.
    - The remuneration is good. 0.5 - 5 % salary increment yealy. Medical benefit is good
    - Some department have work-life balance culture

Cons

- Most of the leader are promoted due to the length of service not through merits. Some of them have poor leadership skill, have domineering character and obsolete mindset.

- The older employee who stayed here very long are a challenge to manage them

- Unfair workload distribution. The older employees try to get their way due to seniority. The younger employee suffer

- Have 360 appraisal for subordinates to evaluate their supervisor.

- Allow internal transfer to allow employee to gain new skill set and for retention reason.

Great people to work with, family -oriented yet meritocracy is valued.

Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Assistant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Changi General Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are really great, better than all restructured hospitals in S'pore as of now.
    Work-life balance is adequate, having to take leave w/o pressure as long as you can priorities your work.
    My learning experience is challenging yet fulfilling, but this depends on the bosses you meet.
    Promotion is based on meritocracy system, which is fair.

Cons

Rising through the ranks are slow as it consist of many levels.
    Workload is hell, but many working in healthcare industry seems to say the same thing.

Need to buck up on career path set for employees to be competitive.
    Benefits offered are awesome, can be seen that Mgmt thinks thru of what employees need.
    Mgmt takes pride in making CGH a better place, that sets good example.

Inept management & nurses

Current Employee - Anon Specialist in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Anon Specialist in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Changi General Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The scope of work is somewhat interesting and it fits my ambition to become an administrator in the future. The pay and benfits are so-so and can definitely be better.

Cons

INEPT MANAGEMENT

Management/ Aministration live in their world; they don't listen. I complained about the conduct of some MOs and attitude of some nurses but there was no action.

Management/ Aministration sit in their observatory high tower; they don't care. They dismissed feedback about compensation and benefits and work/ life balance from "ground" staff.

Management/ Aministration are wont to capitulate to unreasonable patients; they are spineless. They shoot first and ask later. They don't understand that many patients are plainly unreasonable (typical peasantry mentality) and in the wrong. It's disgusting that they always concede to patients' unreasonable demands even when patients are plainly in the wrong.

INEPT NURSES

Nurses are brainless, lazy, complain a lot, and always follow the wrong instructions. They can do one task wrongly over and over again. When impeached, they will point fingers at their MOs, and then each other, and give excuses. Actually I can do everything myself; thanks but I don't need their trouble. But I have no time.

Some nurses always disappear for hours to smoke and chat. Sometimes they even bring along their managers from the same country!

I wonder if Nursing deserves a degree course in NUS* when the job needs only ITE** caliber (the most miserable level of certification in Singapore). And yet they can mess up so often.

*National University of Singapore

**Institute of Technical Education

See "cons".

roller coaster

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Changi General Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its located near my house

Cons

Management does not seem to value its nurses, too much planning done by the people on top without regards to the feasibility of their plans on the ground. Also the nursing managers don't seem inclined towards autonomy

Listen to your nurses. and dear nurse managers, grow a backbone. if you can shout at your junior nurse why cant you shout at others?

opportunity for nurses

Current Employee - Nurse in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Changi General Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits and nice working environment

Cons

needs more man power and more opportunities for staff education and promotion

more healthy and flexible working environment will be more helpful for the staffs

Worst Surgical Ward 47!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Changi General Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easily bonded to CGH for 2 years. CGH gives school allowance of $850/mth for 1st year and $900/ mth for 2nd year. Good preceptor. Able to attend part-time Degree in Nursing for 2 years. Lots of hands on in post operative dressing.

Cons

Slow career progress. Heavy ward workload I.e. nursing 14 mostly bed bound pt with the assistance of one enrolled nurse. Pathetic environment and crowded with visitors. Very low salary. 3 rotating shift and ONE weekend off per month. Irregular length of days work before your day-off. Every month sure work 13 days befor e a day off! Rude medical officer. Blurred housemen. Hot tempered sister.

Help yourselves by learning to be nice to newbies because their swear and curse will hasten your death.