Channel IQ

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wes Shepherd

Great technology team and challenges

Software Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery smart, fun people. Great technology stack and challenges. I am learning a lot. There is clearly a very big vision.

ConsNeed more office space. Some open roles need to get filled.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot to do. Need to make sure we maintain focus.

Not at all what expected

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-growing company with outside people bring hired constantly
    -a few good people that actually do their job and are knowledgeable about what they are doing
    -Company happy hour

Cons-some full time employees were a joke
    -contract employees treated like crap and expected to work 40+ hours a week for non-livable wage...contract employee is the company's way around not having to give you any benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you go hiring all sorts of outside people for positions take a look at the people already working for the company

Passionate Talented People Working at 11 (that's louder than 10)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA cool environment that fosters individuality and rewards innovation. More new faces every week and projects to stay busy. There's never a dull moment. In the last year their company has come from unknown to well-know in Chicago. They are thought leaders. Their core product is the industry leader in the US. Nerf Guns. Company Happy Hours. Open work environment. Pro or Con they are growing so fast they need (and are getting) a new space.

ConsChannel IQ has all the traditional growing pains of a start-up transitioning to a growth stage company. They are challenged by needing more top talent to execute and create the innovative products they are rolling out they can't hire fast enough. Con or Pro, they expect, and push excellence out of their employees but sometimes push the work-life balance pretty hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've missed a couple chances in the past - keep pushing forward and give employees the opportunity to find their way to success. Listen more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very little engineering involved

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSome good people.
    Might actually be a good business as the concept is good.

ConsExcessive micromanagement.
    Don't believe in perks as to it being a good place to work.
    Management has no real engineering experience or background.
    Poor execution, everything is solved via band aid fixes rather than fixing root causes.
    Losing a lot of good technical people due to politics.
    They expect you to work 10-12 hour days, including weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs a complete makeover.

Very low pay considering the amount of work

Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAll of your work is done in silos apart from the rest of the company. For some people that is a pro and others its a con. For me it was OK since it meant that management basically didn't bother me as long as I got my work done.

ConsFor a company that advertises itself as "technology" there is surprisingly little of it. As a developer, I was required to do menial Excel client work when others in the organization failed to live up to their commitments. I was also at the company at a time when it was losing clients, which really hurt morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to improve the technology stack, because it was basically not functional when I left in 2011

Large startup with good culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI've been here just 1 month, but so far I see the team consists of smart, dedicated people who are enjoyable to work with. Pros are:
    - Good people
    - Good culture
    - Good work/life balance
    - Good pay

ConsNo downsides yet, will update if I find any

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing right now

Established startup with plenty of great problems to solve

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGrowing business, great variety of technology, opportunity to learn about big data (getting it, storing it, presenting it), awesome tech talent on the team, chance to build a SaaS platform from the ground up

ConsSome technical debt from the original product that went to market, hard to hire fast enough

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on the core business and build from there

Great company to work for so far over the past 4 yrs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGrowing at an unbelievable rate.
    Market leader in a niche market place
    Entrepreneurial culture
    Immediate feedback/action given on employee suggestions.
    Inventing new products and services to help our clients
    Actually care about our clients and don't just try to sell them anything we can.

ConsGrowing a bit too fast at times and having associated growing pains as a result
    Can't hire good people fast enough

Advice to Senior ManagementDo whatever it takes with recruitment to get the best people hired as fast as possible.

company in decline

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Proscreative workforce, fun environment, relaxed leadership

Consno real direction, management argues with each other, horrible restroom facilities, employees are blamed for failing/outdated technology

Stagnant if not declining

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Great friendships can be found
    - Ability to work from home when needed
    - Monthly work happy hours
    - Flex Hours

Cons- Does not respect traditional work environments
    - Losing clients recently
    - People do not take their responsibilities seriously
    - Lacks follow through on deadlines and commitments
    - Office has no private space
    - Severe lack of professionalism in multiple department heads

Advice to Senior Management- Management always is disagreeing and talking behind each other's back
    - Time to trim the fat and bring in people who produce.

Worked for Channel IQ? Contribute to the Community!