Chaos Commerce

Add Photos

Matt Wiener

Not for everyone

I worked at Chaos Commerce full-time for more than a year

ProsEntry level customer service is worth the pay.. but inevitably they will try to give you extra heavy responsibility that makes the job hardly worth it, without giving any extra compensation. Be prepared to work on their time, not yours. This means all Jewish holidays are off (there are a lot), while normal holidays are not recognized. For example, we were told Thanksgiving was mandatory for customer service.. and on that day we were let off a little early as a "gift" to us (this was how it was presented anyways). Be prepared to work on Christmas Eve. Also, know that you will not receive the same treatment as those who work in other departments.. there were Jewish holidays when others (even non-Jewish employees) were let off early while CS was obligated to stay. Also, when customer service goes to lunch, all the tables are taken by other departments, leaving customer service to eat at their desks alone during the only substantial break. Basically, customer service is alienated from other departments and asked why they don't blend in with other departments. Mostly, though, be prepared to lie. The products sold are a joke and you'll see the same issues arise again and again. Reps are sent drafts to send to customers to cover up one of the endless mishaps. Provided that you actually want to solve an issue honestly, the other departments within the company are impossible to deal with.. so your left with your hands tied regardless. Overall, I found my time here to be wasteful but at least you get to listen to music and at least you get free coffee/tea.

ConsYou'll find your days to be repetitive with a hint of depression.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more of a REAL interest in your employee's concerns.

Where Dreams Go to Die- Unless You're Jewish

I worked at Chaos Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Fun, young group of people.
2. Senior management is always willing to sit down with anyone regardless of your position
3. Breakfast and snacks a re provided which is great because there isn't much to eat around there.
4. Fun monthly events which usually involve drinking.
5. The CEO is friendly and personable.
6. New management is actually looking out for the CS employees
7. Company culture has improved a lot.

Cons1. Starting pay rate is ridiculous. The only people who will start working for $12 an hour are either desperate adults or teens who are just trying to make a little money. If you want quality employees give them quality pay.
2. 10 days off per year. So your first 15 months there you get 10 days off. So don't expect to see your family at Christmas or Thanks giving. If it's not Jewish holiday they don't care about it. But if you're Jewish feel free to take as many days as you like. Need to leave a day early for Yom Kippur? Not a problem.
3. Speaking of Jewish, it is a Jewish company so you get all the Jewish holidays off. You won't be paid for them despite the fact that you would rather work and need the money but you get them off. But if you're not Jewish and want to say spend Christmas with your family that's too bad you don't have that option.
4. If you are Jewish you will get a nice comfortable salary if you are not then expect to take the bus to work and barely survive as you make $12 an hour and see your Jewish colleagues pull up in their nice cars because they make real money. All the non Jews live with their parents because they can not afford rent or things like that.
5. No benefits at all. No bonus at all. No paid days off at all.
6. You will constantly be given additional work and may even get a new position but you probably won't get a raise and they may put you back in your old position in order to hire another Jewish person.
7. CS is heavily monitored, almost like a preschool. Why not give one 45 minute break for lunch and then 15 for the other break? Who can go out and purchase food and eat it in 30 mins?

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a great company if you are Jewish. But you guys need to realize that unless you hire an all Jewish staff your employees will not be happy. They will quit as long as the pay scales remain so vastly different, they get cheated out of time-off and you show no reverence for non Jewish holidays. If you value your employees as much as you say you do then pay them adult wages and improve your benefits package. 10 days off is asinine.

Significant Growth Opportunities

I worked at Chaos Commerce full-time for less than a year

ProsI made the transition into the role of CSR for Chaos Commerce right amid the holiday season. In coming from a heavy retail background, the position was AMAZING. For the bind I was in at the time, the pay was good, stable and steady.

If your rent is low, you have little to no real responsibilities/bills or are a student, this would be a great job. For the initial requirements (work wise), the pay is very reasonable and actually on-par with most Entry Level CS rep positions. I was only with the company for 6+ months, however, within that time, I experienced a significant amount of growth and was entrusted with many responsibilities.

Please understand, however, like most jobs, its going to take SOME work and effort in order to garner recognition and this is not to be expected if you are a sub-par employee. If you are not punctual, focused or detail oriented, you cannot expect to be praised or granted opportunities for growth.

I left for a greater opportunity with another eCommerce business, for an ample pay increase and career opportunity. Though, without Chaos Commerce, I certainly would not have received the position. The role of CSR at Chaos was definitely a great stepping stone.

Condensed version:

- Good starting pay rate
- Fairly young, diverse company
- Monthly activities
- VERY flexible schedules, Friday's off early
- Respected in the "daily deals" realm of eCommerce, looks great on the resume! A great way to get your foot in the door starting out as a CS rep.

Cons- No paid holidays, whatsoever.
- Very little recognition of National holidays (only Christmas Day and New Years Day)
- No distinction between personal days and vacation days
- No paid time off
- No discernible opportunities for pay increases within Customer Service. Employees are promised increases and then upper management, last minute, informs them they will not be honoring the raise. Leads to lack of trust and low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementMy main critique of the company would be that the additional "titles" and responsibilities, sometimes do not add up to much. What does the title of Dropship Manager, eBay CS Manager or Dispute Manager really mean if the rep next you, that only sends emails all day, is making just as much as you? It does not offer much incentive to remain. Especially when those in upper management have appeared hesitant when honoring promised raises. Instead, it leads to doubt, mistrust and ultimately low morale.

My advice to management, specifically upper management, would be to possibly target an even younger demographic, more students or those with less responsibilities. I found that the main employees with low morale and outlook were a bit older and more in need of a real "career", with significant salary increases. I think the role of CSR with this company would be better suited for those with the actual availability to "grow" with the company, rather than those simply looking for a job to pay the bills.

Challenging Work, Inclusive Culture

I have been working at Chaos Commerce full-time

ProsA small company where management is always ready to listen to new ideas.
* Lots of room for growth within the company and flexibility with your position.
* Monthly events are a great way to get to know people in other departments.
* Lunches are nice because everyone usually eats together in the break room, instead of leaving the office.
* Work can be challenging, but overall it's a very relaxed environment.

ConsNot many vacation days. No benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps more full staff team meetings so entry-level employees can share their ideas with management.

How much are you willing to handle??

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Chaos Commerce full-time for less than a year

ProsSlightly friendly environment. Optional Sunday schedule. Free breakfast and coffee. Ping Pong table in the rec. room.

ConsThere is room for growth but no room for increased compensation. National holidays are not observed. Subjected to scheduled breaks at uncomfortable times.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees through compensation. The events and company gatherings are fun but the main point of a job/career is the ability to pay the bills.

Would not ever want to work at a place like this again

Customer Service (Former Employee)

I worked at Chaos Commerce full-time for more than a year

ProsFor the work at the start the pay is decent.

ConsManagement would rather talk down to customer service reps than offer a compliment.
Normal holidays are not really recognized.
All tiers of management are not really there to help.
Turn-over rate for customer service rep is incredible high.
Customer service reps are told to lie to customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll management need to be restructured to actual have the company grow instead of just squeezing out money of its customer.
Also offer REAL benefits and health plans to your employees.
Have actually values instead of just being money focused.

Four months of misery

I worked at Chaos Commerce full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay was pretty good for what you have to go through.

Cons- Customer service is a thankless job without any real help from upper management
- The company culture is terrible, the only thing keeping employees' morale up is complaining about customers and getting drunk at the occasional office party
- They blast the air conditioning, so you're basically freezing to death
- No one in the other departments are helpful
- Reps are encouraged to lie and generally be unhelpful.
- High turnaround.
- They target artsy/creative types that need a job, and exploit their desperation. If you found their ad in the Craigslist writing job section, there's a good reason for it.
- They try to market themselves as a "Fun" company to work for, but it's sitting in front of a computer in a windowless room for hours on end.
- I was in absolutely depressed for four months before they let me go. My life has improved since then.
- Half hour lunch break, with two fifteen minute breaks after that. I'd rather just have an hour break. The line to the microwave is long, and if you're at the end of the line, you're either gonna have to eat cold food, or have five minutes to eat. That is, unless you have a kosher meal. Then you can use the Kosher microwave.
- Speaking of, if you're gonna work for this company, you better know what all the Jewish Holidays are, because those are the holidays you get off.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive customer service reps the tools they need to help customers.

Worked for Chaos Commerce ? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chaos Commerce reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chaos Commerce CEO Matt Wiener. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Chaos Commerce employees.