Chaparral Energy

Updated April 18, 2014
Updated April 18, 2014
3.9

Mark A. Fischer

To work at Chaparral has been very satisfying and rewarding. People there are great to work with.

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Tech I  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Tech I in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Chaparral Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Three weeks vacation starting out with, great 401K matching, and Friday afternoons off.

Cons

Middle management are more of the "Yes Man" mentality and can't make decisions.

Study and become more familiar of job descriptions and make up of the average worker there.

Great Company To Work For

I have been working at Chaparral Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at Chaparral for 6-12 months and I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed. I feel as comfortable at Chaparral as I felt working for a small 5 person firm in college. Executives and upper management are very kind and respectful to subordinates. Workload is manageable, and hard work hard is encouraged and rewarded. The opportunity to take on greater responsibilities is available if desired. Management is flexible if personal responsibilities occasionally come up. The working hours are typical for an energy company (half days on Fridays). The pay and benefits are great. Overall, Chaparral Energy is a great company to work for.

Cons

Occasionally have to work a little late.

Keep up the good work. Great corporate culture.

Positive experience on the whole

Former Employee - District Geologist  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - District Geologist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Chaparral Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some freedom to work on projects

Cons

Management does not stay with current technology advancements in the industry

Pay your employees at par with the industry

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a loyal company at all, could care less about employees

I worked at Chaparral Energy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, nice building and location

Cons

I worked here for 10 years and was passed over by a younger, newer employee for a promotion because he had close ties to upper management. The younger guy started rumors and back stabbing and i was ultimately let go. No explanation whatsoever. His actions also caused the termination of a manager in the department later on. So many people have left this company because of the way they treat employees, and those that haven't left already are looking for other jobs.

Why don't you follow the rules, take a look at everyone who works for you, not only the elite upper management. Increase your pay and act like you give a darn about the employees.

Can't go public because they won't let go of uneconomic properties and all their moneypit, in-house, service companies.

I worked at Chaparral Energy for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work atmosphere that is shared with some loyal lifelong employees.

Cons

Don't want to train employees, drilling department turns over almost every year, field services and drilling companies cost more than contracting, and there are 5,000 wells that they absolutely don't need

Trim the fat and remember that the most important assets are the employees

The business changed dramatically over the years

Former Employee - Senior Revenue Analyst  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Revenue Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Chaparral Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay was good, well furnished private offices and up to date technology made putting out a large amount of work possible and comfortable. Responses were quick to requests for ergonomic equipment. Benefits were those typical in O&G companies in OKC, head and shoulders above other industries in town. Wonderful teams in some departments, and cooperation among departments at the lower levels was generally excellent. Weekly schedule leaves Friday afternoons free.

Cons

Expectations of how much work a person can do are quite high. Little communication comes down from management about things important to lower level employees, like pay raises and bonuses. For long term employees the change from a small company to a corporate culture has been striking. Noticeable favoritism and nepotism in promotions and hiring existed, although promotions from within were common (notwithstanding a reluctance to post openings internally).

Information about pay related topics and upcoming open positions are very important to lower level staff. It would be a big improvement to announce decisions on this front earlier. Flexibility on lunch hours and schedules would be a good (and free) benefit to lots of people. It should be noted that suggesting in any way how employees should vote is coercive and illegal.

Worked for Chaparral Energy? Contribute to the Community!