www.chapman.edu

Good Practice

Former Employee - Graphic Designer, Digital Art and Animation in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer, Digital Art and Animation in Orange, CA

I worked at Chapman University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked a number of jobs at Chapman during my time as an undergraduate student here. If you're serious about making some money while here it's totally possible. There are plenty of easy office jobs with very flexible hours, you can work as much as you want really. For more specialized positions that might pertain a bit more to your studies ( for me it was design, film) those are a little more competitive. Still, I wouldn't pass up that AV tech, or Front Desk assistant role, they're fun in their own ways. Most of the time you'll be working with other students and you'll probably get to spend more time with professors depending on your position.

Cons

Hourly pay across the board is pretty low. Finding anything higher than $9/hr is pretty tough, but for the amount of work you do it's not bad. For students I think it's a pretty fair compensation considering how flexible the hours and positions are.

As a seasoned instructor, my experience at Chapman university has been a unique one.

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, Design in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, Design in Orange, CA

I have been working at Chapman University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The campus is beautiful and it is located right by the Orange County old town area. I am impressed with how wonderful and dedicated my colleagues are.

Cons

Smart students, however, they like for their hands to be held. I have noticed that students put a lot of energy in talking and complaining about other people (students and faculty), problems (assignments and project) vs. than just rolling up their sleeves and solving the problem by just doing it. I see more talk than action.

To give more information about the students background and demography for new hires.

Non-tenured positions not valued

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, Music in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, Music in Orange, CA

I have been working at Chapman University as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good facilities, especially if in favored department. If not, second class status. Science programs the weakest, though buying their way to a traditional program.

Cons

If non-tenured, not job security and the politics of who gets hired is probably typical for a university but not what the outside would expect. Mixed students. Some a pleasure, others feel entitled to an A if they just show up.

It is a for profit university, but support cannot go just to glamour

Great work environment and place to grow!

I worked at Chapman University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Positive work environment, personal growth, work-self balance (Chapman offers many programs, free activities, and social outings for employees)

Cons

Most movement is done from within, stuffy cubicles, some management is 'set in their ways'

Tolerable

I have been working at Chapman University

Pros

time off policies are good, work life balance is good, salary is tolerable, people who work here are really amazing

Cons

compensation, lack of advancement opportunities, lack of grievance forum, no work from home policy, students dont seem to understand how the world works

The best work-study job I have had to date

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Chapman University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was working part time as a student while in the music program at Chapman University. My hours were flexible and able to be fitted around my schedule. The work was simple enough without being exceptionally mindless, and the working conditions were quite acceptable. I got to work with friends, peers, and professors.

Cons

Low wage is the largest con, but it was acceptable and helped me pay for school. Minimal working hours, so even if I wanted more, there was only so much work to be done per week.

There are really no complaints that I have. The conditions were friendly and very nice, and the company values its students, which I benefitted from (being a student).

A great learning and entry level job experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Orange, CA

I worked at Chapman University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved my time there. The atmosphere was great and so were the coworkers. Easily and quickly promoted as long as you're willing to put in the hard work. They are great at working with your schedule and will give time off if requested far enough in advance. I learned more at this job then I did in my actual editing classes at school.

Cons

My supervisors were awesome but our overall boss could be a little questionable at times. Seems like she would lay people off for no reason.

Former Employee - One Stop Specialist
    Former Employee - One Stop Specialist

I worked at Chapman University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great college to work for. Management was enthusiastic, humorous and nice.
    I greatly enjoyed working for Chapman University.

Cons

Chapman sold their adult learner portion/satellite campuses to an unknown university, Brandman.
    New management came in stripped our job titles, and overall made very unwise business decisions.
    We lost a lot of our long term faculty because of the unfavorable changes.

ASK campus directors about impending changes. Changes were made without realizing they would have an adverse effect on faculty, staff and students. By the way "One Stop" job model doesn't work.

Chapman is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Resident Director in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Director in Orange, CA

I have been working at Chapman University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a private institution there are many opportunities to work with other faculty and students.

Cons

Not having a multi-cultural center on campus.

Fantastic

I have been working at Chapman University as an intern

Pros

The school is on the up and up, there's great weather, and the business school is top notch. Jim Doti is the best president.

Cons

The school is still small and the student culture too closely represents the stuck-up, snobby stereotype of Orange County. Not always the friendliest school.

Make a Greek Row