Chapman University

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015
4.2

Jim Doti

Chapman is a great company to work for. They are very professional and friendly.

I have been working at Chapman University

Pros

great supportive environment
    won't cheat you
    reliable company
    give good benefits and pay

Cons

student jobs don't pay very much
    student jobs are hard to come by

Chapman University Student worker.

I worked at Chapman University

Pros

I enjoyed working alongside my professors and classmates during my work-study position because of the close relationships and friendly environment.

Cons

Sometimes I felt extraneous, because there were many student workers and occasionally not enough work to go around.

Wonderful way to build experience, but not sustain a career

Former Employee - Annual Giving in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Annual Giving in Orange, CA

I worked at Chapman University

Pros

Tight knit community. Lots of opportunities to create programming and access to leadership.

Cons

Low pay. Not a well-known university with staff hires having little or no experience in education or non-profit.

Choose a strategic vision and commit to it for the long-term to ensure employee longevity and continuity. Keep up the strong employee programming to ensure positive school spirit.

Work life balance great, the environment is generally toxic.

I worked at Chapman University

Pros

Economic stability, the universite won't collapse in a recession.

Cons

Chapman University overlooks clear hostile work environment scenarious and actively chooses to turn a blind eye. In most departments, you're dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't. In others words, if you take initiative you're critized for doing so, if you don't you're ridiculed for requiring too much guidance. Chapman is loaded with toxic personalitites, most of whom seriously need psychological /psychiatric help.

Clean house if you can....but then again, management is the problem.

Good Practice

Former Employee - Graphic Designer, Digital Art and Animation in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer, Digital Art and Animation in Orange, CA

I worked at Chapman University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked a number of jobs at Chapman during my time as an undergraduate student here. If you're serious about making some money while here it's totally possible. There are plenty of easy office jobs with very flexible hours, you can work as much as you want really. For more specialized positions that might pertain a bit more to your studies ( for me it was design, film) those are a little more competitive. Still, I wouldn't pass up that AV tech, or Front Desk assistant role, they're fun in their own ways. Most of the time you'll be working with other students and you'll probably get to spend more time with professors depending on your position.

Cons

Hourly pay across the board is pretty low. Finding anything higher than $9/hr is pretty tough, but for the amount of work you do it's not bad. For students I think it's a pretty fair compensation considering how flexible the hours and positions are.

As a seasoned instructor, my experience at Chapman university has been a unique one.

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, Design in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, Design in Orange, CA

I have been working at Chapman University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The campus is beautiful and it is located right by the Orange County old town area. I am impressed with how wonderful and dedicated my colleagues are.

Cons

Smart students, however, they like for their hands to be held. I have noticed that students put a lot of energy in talking and complaining about other people (students and faculty), problems (assignments and project) vs. than just rolling up their sleeves and solving the problem by just doing it. I see more talk than action.

To give more information about the students background and demography for new hires.

Good people but needs some work...

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Orange, CA

I worked at Chapman University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, lots of things going on in the area, good tuition benefits and retirement matching, good programs at the school, things to do in the area on your lunch or after work.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive, HR department does not support conferences and training for them so they aren't well enough equipped to support the staff, Deans aren't provided with management training and many need it because they were solely academic for their careers but now have to supervise employees--academic and non, I saw a lot of promotions for people whose work was sub-par, negatively affecting morale and de-motivating people.

Support your staff, encourage growth, fight for higher salaries, pay attention to morale issues.

Non-tenured positions not valued

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, Music in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor, Music in Orange, CA

I have been working at Chapman University as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good facilities, especially if in favored department. If not, second class status. Science programs the weakest, though buying their way to a traditional program.

Cons

If non-tenured, not job security and the politics of who gets hired is probably typical for a university but not what the outside would expect. Mixed students. Some a pleasure, others feel entitled to an A if they just show up.

It is a for profit university, but support cannot go just to glamour

Great work environment and place to grow!

I worked at Chapman University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, personal growth, work-self balance (Chapman offers many programs, free activities, and social outings for employees)

Cons

Most movement is done from within, stuffy cubicles, some management is 'set in their ways'

Tolerable

I have been working at Chapman University

Pros

time off policies are good, work life balance is good, salary is tolerable, people who work here are really amazing

Cons

compensation, lack of advancement opportunities, lack of grievance forum, no work from home policy, students dont seem to understand how the world works

Chapman University Photos