Chapman and Cutler LLP Reviews

Reset
3.3
Rick Cosgrove

1. Administrative

Pros

I've been with Chapman lots and lots of years, and sometimes wonder how that happened!! This is a GREAT place to work. The people are great to work with, there is a culture of mentoring and making sure you are well looked after. Great benefit and vacation package. People tend to stay put here.

Cons

This may or may not be a Con: Chapman is a growing and expanding company, which is awsome in my view. My concern is that we don't grow into a company that's too big to continue knowing and valuing each employee as their individual and unique self.

Advice to Management

Keep the interest in and support of your support staff as a priority.

2. Ok place to work

Former Employee - Administrative
    Former Employee - Administrative

I worked at Chapman and Cutler LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-They have many processes in place to keep the firm running smoothly -On-boarding process is lengthy and informative -Will invest in your learning & development if you find something that will help with your career growth -Overtime available if you want it

Cons

-Staff not treated very well, lots of policies and procedures in place -Attorneys can be very mean to staff, and management doesn't do anything about it, especially if they bring a lot of money into the firm -Very low company morale, people seem like they're working for a paycheck, and don't want to be there -Management doesn't care about low morale, seem to ignore the incredibly high turnover rate among associate attorneys and staff -Associate turnover rate was almost 100% in just a few years, staff turnover rate was close to that

Advice to Management

-Invest time and money into keeping employees happy, it will help improve morale and lower the turnover rate. -Don't let attorneys get away with treated their assigned secretaries poorly

3. Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chapman and Cutler LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location, nice offices - lots of marble.

Cons

Very stuffy and uptight, communication is only between lawyers and not as they term it "the serfs".

Advice to Management

HR is a joke as the woman who used to work there only got the job because of her lawyer boyfriend, hire qualified people who know what they are doing, talk to your staff and not behind their backs, more cohesion and teamwork amongst employees.

5. clerk

Pros

great place to work. Friendly people

Cons

none. Everyone is very nice

Great Size Firm with best Finance Work/ Tim Mohan is CEO for 3+ years

Former Employee - Lawyer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lawyer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chapman and Cutler LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

top people, lucrative firm with numerous practice areas that have thrived through economic turmoil

Cons

Firm have minimal international exposure but therefor none of the economic pains and management distraction of over built Firms. Though municipal work is modest part of practice, many potential clients think of Chapman as a Muni Firm

Advice to Management

Resist temptation to grow much larger or assume all practice areas are immune to

Believe what you hear

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people, in general, were very pleasant to deal with. Unfortunately, in many respects, that was a ruse, as the old-boys'-network and the high-school-clique mentality ultimately were what ran the firm.

Cons

I heard about Chapman's bias against women from the earliest moments of my tenure, especially when it came to the Banking department, which had a reputation for not keeping female associates beyond a few years, and virtually never making them partners. I didn't want to believe this, and thought that doing excellent work would be valued and would overcome any negligible bias. However, after my manager complained about the number of females in the summer associate class, and when push came to shove, the males in my department kept their jobs in the economic downturn, while I lost mine, I can only forewarn other young women to be careful taking a position at Chapman -- believe what you hear.

Advice to Management

Chapman is controlled by a group of people who think and act as if they were still in high school, focusing on cliques and popularity over good business decisions, and who value male contributions while almost entirely de-valuing female contributions. As this includes the current management, I would doubt any advice I could offer would be given any credit.

Good firm, but lack of ability to see unique value of individuals

Pros

Fiscally sound Competitive salary Focus on work/life balance Good reputation in legal community Fairly complex and high level work Good technology

Cons

The firm operates as a democracy, and leadership changes pretty regularly. The direction of the firm can change pretty significantly with the change in leadership, and makes things a bit unpredictable.

Advice to Management

Learn to think outside the box when evaluating the value your employees bring to the firm. It's not always quantifiable in billable hours.

RSS Feed </> Embed