Chapman and Cutler LLP

Rick Cosgrove

Great Size Firm with best Finance Work/ Tim Mohan is CEO for 3+ years

Lawyer (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prostop people, lucrative firm with numerous practice areas that have thrived through economic turmoil

ConsFirm have minimal international exposure but therefor none of the economic pains and management distraction of over built Firms. Though municipal work is modest part of practice, many potential clients think of Chapman as a Muni Firm

Advice to Senior ManagementResist temptation to grow much larger or assume all practice areas are immune to

Believe what you hear

Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people, in general, were very pleasant to deal with. Unfortunately, in many respects, that was a ruse, as the old-boys'-network and the high-school-clique mentality ultimately were what ran the firm.

ConsI heard about Chapman's bias against women from the earliest moments of my tenure, especially when it came to the Banking department, which had a reputation for not keeping female associates beyond a few years, and virtually never making them partners. I didn't want to believe this, and thought that doing excellent work would be valued and would overcome any negligible bias. However, after my manager complained about the number of females in the summer associate class, and when push came to shove, the males in my department kept their jobs in the economic downturn, while I lost mine, I can only forewarn other young women to be careful taking a position at Chapman -- believe what you hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementChapman is controlled by a group of people who think and act as if they were still in high school, focusing on cliques and popularity over good business decisions, and who value male contributions while almost entirely de-valuing female contributions. As this includes the current management, I would doubt any advice I could offer would be given any credit.

Good firm, but lack of ability to see unique value of individuals

ProsFiscally sound
    Competitive salary
    Focus on work/life balance
    Good reputation in legal community
    Fairly complex and high level work
    Good technology

ConsThe firm operates as a democracy, and leadership changes pretty regularly. The direction of the firm can change pretty significantly with the change in leadership, and makes things a bit unpredictable.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to think outside the box when evaluating the value your employees bring to the firm. It's not always quantifiable in billable hours.

Worked for Chapman and Cutler LLP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chapman and Cutler LLP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chapman and Cutler LLP CEO Rick Cosgrove. All reviews posted anonymously by Chapman and Cutler LLP employees.