Chapters Indigo

Updated December 22, 2014

Heather Reisman

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

First and only job

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive managers encouraging growth within the company, great work environment, great customers, great staff

Cons

Not much notice of work schedule beforehand, schedule week to week. Frequent managers changing within stores

Keep more seasonal employees into the full time season

Customer experience management

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Chapters Indigo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fast paced ever growing company. Full benefits and training. Love my employee. I made their jobs fun and easy. Customer service is most important.

Cons

No support from regionals. Managers are multi taskers from doing schedules to receiving stock. I am not a tasker but had to do it. Heavy lifting and constant carrying of heavy product. Pay sucks for the job I do compaired to other managers in my region. Way to many reports and not enough time with everything else I have to do. Leaving as soon as I find a new management job!

Listen to your managers!

Fun job, short-term

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff was friendly, the customers were pretty good. Managers were helpful and understanding. I was allowed to borrow books and read when there were no customers, to familiarize myself with the merchandise.
    The job would vary from intense and fast-paced to very quiet. But with books around, I was never bored.

Cons

The hours I worked were decided week by week, so I never knew ahead of time when I would be working. Although they did work around my schedule.
    I was hired temporarily for the holiday season, but was told they would consider keeping me on. They did not keep me on.

Customer Experience Representative (Tasking Team)

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team of early morning Task Team
    Ease of requesting time off
    Ability to borrow books free of charge

Cons

Tasking Team are invisible to the individual store and the company as a whole
    Divide between sales/cash team and tasking team
    Regular daily cleanup of sales team inability to care for store closing policies
    There is almost zero training outside of sales and cash
    Safety violations for Task Team are overlooked as long as product gets out
    Only stockroom/warehouse job I have ever seen where there is no premium for manual labor

Make the tasking team feel like a part of the company. You force staff who have nothing to do with customer interactions, complete online training modules dealing strictly with cash operations and sales. There are no training modules on anything the task team does, who are the reason your store runs so smoothly. Incorporate additional training modules that show just how much work goes into tasking jobs.
    You have everyone perform a health and safety training module, where one of the key points is not leaving books on the floor since it is a safety hazard. Now, the latest work technique you have implemented is for the morning task force to lay piles of books on floor which must be put away before customer arrivals, completely disregarding your workers safety and ignoring safety protocols which you supposedly enforce.
    Unpacking skids with heavy product, transporting skids to appropriate location, moving heavy bookcases/display bases, etc. and being paid on par or less than sales staff is unheard of. Wage increases necessary for those doing all the manual labor in the store.

CER

Former Employee - CER
    Former Employee - CER

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time

Pros

Great discounts on books and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Customers get irritated at you when you constantly ask them if they're finding everything ok.

Simple Job for Simple People.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a job. It is inside. Not mentally stressful. If you are a good worker they might reward you with a gift card to the store.

Cons

They pay next to nothing and expect very fast paced work. Not mentally challenging or stimulating. They tell you that there is room for upward growth and promotion but expect at least 4 years of bending over backward for them before you are considered.
    They keep the Employees full of self doubt and scared of losing their jobs for not going fast enough.

Try paying your employees enough to eat, you give millions to charities just to look good and leave your employees in the bread line then just chalk it up to being a competitive market place.

Great team

Former Employee - CER in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - CER in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discounts on books is really cool. The managers are fair and nice. The schedules are really flexible.

Cons

Low salary for long hours. The store is open during all holidays except for Christmas.

Upper management should consider offering more money to their employees and managers in order to retain them.

Customer Experience Representative

I worked at Chapters Indigo

Pros

Friendly Work environment, various book selection

Cons

Low pay, lack of possibility to grow

Great place to start but not to stay

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best for students who need extra cash and have limited days to work. Seasonal positions can be lucrative. The discount on books can come in hand when ordering online.

Cons

Poor training and communication with staff. Not the ideal place for those who need full time hours and benefits.

If things are bad with the store or company outlook, tell your employees. While the world restructures to shopping online, many still want to have a salesperson to recommend products. Once the company budget and books are balanced, get back to basics: Books and people working there who read books.

Highly Disappointing Work Place at Chapters Pinetree

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great owner, company philosophy and awesome discounts!

Cons

You feel like an employee number rather than a person. This job has the highest turnover rate I have ever seen. Management will cut all corners to avoid doing work! Including lying to customers about Ship-to-Store orders being not here just because he did not want to work.... You have to take a picture of your schedule because it changes weekly and they will blame the employee claiming "I never do that!" The GM will lie to your face constantly. You will hear " unfortunately we can't give raises so hours are based around performance" which is not true at all. Also if you like getting paid what you are owed do not work here. The worst I saw was missing $400 from the last cheque before xmas. Also you will not get a raise or raises. Its a shame Chapters is like this because I loved the idea of working at a Canada company with high values... however it is sadly not the case for employees.

Try asking your employees if you can change schedules without just doing it then assume it will work. Make sure employees are getting paid properly for hours worked. Timely reviews would be nice. Proper encouragement because most of the time you feel like you are doing something wrong.

Chapters Indigo Photos

The Grand Daddy of Chapters!!

+ Add Photo