Chapters Indigo

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014

3.1

Heather Reisman

Very bright and happy place

Current Employee - Tasker  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Tasker in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Great co workers, all readers of course, engaging discussions and positive reinforcement from managers and supervisors all the time. Co-workers really help you feel welcomed when you're new and it feels like everyone is a family

Cons

I work tasking shifts so it's early morning at 5am. Very bad times for a student working part time as you have to sleep early the night before to make sure you're not dead tired when you start work

none

Great place to start but not to stay

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative  in  Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

Pros

Best for students who need extra cash and have limited days to work. Seasonal positions can be lucrative. The discount on books can come in hand when ordering online.

Cons

Poor training and communication with staff. Not the ideal place for those who need full time hours and benefits.

If things are bad with the store or company outlook, tell your employees. While the world restructures to shopping online, many still want to have a salesperson to recommend products. Once the company budget and books are balanced, get back to basics: Books and people working there who read books.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Montreal (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montreal (Brazil)

Pros

Good People,. Flexible Schedule. Good company culture. Must be availble for odd shifts. Holidays are hectic. Decent managers who seems to care.

Cons

Fast employee turnaround. Short training period. Sometimes you are left to your own devices. Must be available for weekend work. Must be comfortable with repetitive work.

more training for employees. higher base salary. Consider a 4 week training period for this job. Allow employees more opportunites to advance. Try promoting from within and you will get more satisfied employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly Disappointing Work Place at Chapters Pinetree

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative  in  Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

Pros

Great owner, company philosophy and awesome discounts!

Cons

You feel like an employee number rather than a person. This job has the highest turnover rate I have ever seen. Management will cut all corners to avoid doing work! Including lying to customers about Ship-to-Store orders being not here just because he did not want to work.... You have to take a picture of your schedule because it changes weekly and they will blame the employee claiming "I never do that!" The GM will lie to your face constantly. You will hear " unfortunately we can't give raises so hours are based around performance" which is not true at all. Also if you like getting paid what you are owed do not work here. The worst I saw was missing $400 from the last cheque before xmas. Also you will not get a raise or raises. Its a shame Chapters is like this because I loved the idea of working at a Canada company with high values... however it is sadly not the case for employees.

Try asking your employees if you can change schedules without just doing it then assume it will work. Make sure employees are getting paid properly for hours worked. Timely reviews would be nice. Proper encouragement because most of the time you feel like you are doing something wrong.

disappointing

Current Employee - CER
    Current Employee - CER

Pros

nice co-workers, nice product, pleasant stores

Cons

poor treatment by management, no wish to further interests of staff

listen to employees, tell the truth

Okay Company To Work For

Pros

- 30% discount on books
    - book loan services
    -generally cheerful customers
    -flexible schedules

Cons

-basic pay
    -late reviews
    -lack of acknowledgement
    -no opportunity to move up
    -unprofessional staff

Your floor staff takes the brunt of criticism from customers, maybe pay them more than 11 dollars an hour. And when they excel, you should probably as management recognize them.

Easy job, low pay

Pros

Discounts. 30% off of the lowest marked price year round (this includes marked sown items, but only if they scan in as a lower price not if they are a % off). Christmas time is even better, but children's products remain 30%, always.
    Super easy to pick up more shifts, except after holidays when they keep on seasonal.
    Easy job, easy to kill time. No uniform just clothing guidelines and a vest (which is great because it is always cold).
    Great job for students (very adaptable to schedules)
    Benefits if you are there forever (but really, why would you be?)

Cons

They do not allow for booking off around holidays.
    Management seems to think that minimum wage means you work as hard as you can all day.
    Annoying patrons believe that you should know every author, especially true in childrens dept.
    There is never enough time to organize shelves and often entire sections are left horrible (art=always).

Clean your staff rooms.

Customer Service Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate At Indigo
    Former Employee - Sales Associate At Indigo

Pros

Good discount for purchasing their products.
    Pleasant work environment. Things seem nice.

Cons

Lots of cliques in workplace. They don't give decent raises. Varying work hours can be closing and then open early next morning. 25 cent raises very common even after years of working there. Little chance of moving up in position. It is a minuim wage to start and insulting raises. Suppose better than none, that is their motto. Don't get enough hours to benefit any company perks, its for management, they get better wages and more hours. Too many managers and few part time workers to do the grunt work.
    Customers can do anything, cer must exercise all tolerance no matter what the situation. Many nasty, rude customers, Chapters has trained their customers can get away with anything, long as they spend money or the hope to. Management does not back up their staff, EVER. Anything goes wrong, cer fault and no 25 cent raise. Anything goes to sell, push it to the customers, push flyers in their face, have to ask for donations and sell memberships, quotas to meet all day long.. No commisions for selling, only minium wage.Twenty hours a week not enough to live on at a minium wage. They make high profits, expect the moon and stars. and do not pay their staff that do high jumps and bend over touch your toes for them. Wage Slaves!!!!!!

I believe the management is decent. All of the orders come from head office. It all comes from the core.
    If the company wants to save money they need not keep a minium wage. TRY TWO MANAGERS IN YOUR STORE INSTEAD OF FIVE, AND GIVE YOUR POOR WAGE SLAVE A BETTER WAGE! The stores could save alot of funds by less managers, most of them don't do much anyway except chase the cer's. Okay thanks.

Chapters is a friendly environment empowering their employees to make the right choices best for the customer.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Working at Chapters is great because everyone is so friendly there. The hours are great and they are very fair not to make you work every weekend. They empower all of their staff on every level to make the right choices that will in the end make the customer so happy. Their main focus always is the customer experience and that is what drives me while I am working. Management employees get three weeks holidays right from the start…you do not have to work there for a year before you get holidays. They have great benefits and an RRSP contribution program in effect. Their employees are just as important to them as their customer and that is what drives us to provide the customer with the best possible experience.

Cons

I do not have any complaints about working there at all but if you said I HAD to come up with one, well I guess it would be the shift where I work until 11pm and then work again at 8am the next day. That said….I do not really mind that at all hahaha…I honestly have no complaints.

If I had to share some advice to upper management I would ask for them to implement a Canada savings bond program. I had that at my previous job and loved it. Almost every was into it. I bought honda for all my nieces and whatever we signed up for was always payroll deduct. I would love to have that again!!! Some people contributed a certain amount every year and cashed them in at Christmas so they could do their shopping or to take winter holidays. It was a great way for staff to save money for the things they might have trouble saving for or a great gift to give if you buy for someone else. It is called the payroll savings program and can all be signed up for online. Please start that!!!! That and don't close the gate on our bonuses for things like buying tape at Christmas to do the gift wrapping when it is something that we are required to do. Things that we are required to do at the store should not close our bonus gate.

The worst.

Former Employee - Sales Associate At Indigo  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate At Indigo in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

It's easy to get employed and we got a discount. Once a manager got us lunch when we were working Christmas Eve.

Cons

I have worked a lot of retail jobs and this was by far the worst.

- extremely low pay. I was paid minimum wage. My manager (I think he was an assistant or shift manager) made less than $22,000 a year including overtime.
    - we were searched every time we left the building. Often we would have to wait around at the end of a shift because the managers were busy, so we couldn't even leave the store until 20-30 minutes after our shift ended.
    - there was an extreme focus on numbers. Every morning started with a report on the previous day's sales and goals for the current day and we would be blamed if we didn't meet those numbers, even if we had spent most of our shift in an empty section. We cannot will customers to appear.
    - virtually no contact with managers aside from the morning meeting and bag check. I'm pretty sure most of the managers didn't know most of our names.
    - there was no sense of camaraderie among employees.

Don't treat your employees like thieves. Recognize their work and don't blame them for poor sales.

Worked for Chapters Indigo? Contribute to the Community!