Chapters Indigo

Updated February 7, 2015
Updated February 7, 2015
3.1

Heather Reisman

Pros
  • Good discount on books and other items in the store (in 5 reviews)

• Fun work environment and great support staff (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As well, there were no benefits and it was hard to get full time hours (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, lack of possibility to grow (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Had a good experience at my particular store

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working around books
    Opportunity to use bibliophilia to improve other people's lives
    I had a great batch of coworkers

Cons

Minimum wage
    Limited hours
    Often a lack of respect from customers

The management at my store was great. Unfortunately it was shut down recently.

Good relaxing work environment and good team spirit

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best retail jobs in the market.

Cons

low paid for CER, unstable work hours.

Love it here!

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you love books, you'll love working here. I legit shop while I work. Coworkers are awesome, we have so much fun everyday, and always talk about books and movies and shows. The work itself is fine, not stressful, not too difficult. Not much training is necessary. We get 30% off products (and sometimes 40%)- use it and abuse it. The atmosphere is very comfortable. Overall, I love going to work everyday and getting to see everyone.

Cons

-Always on your feet, which can be bad after like 7 hours.
    -I hate the music they play at Chapters, too- like it really begins to get to your head.
    -They don't post schedules regularly. Sometimes I get my hours for the week at the last second.

Post schedules more frequently.

On the Fence

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- great employee discount (all merchandise not just books) and ability to borrow books is brilliant
    - surrounded by fellow book lovers

Cons

-Managers are not trained very well and lack ability to actually lead
    - We have customers who do not return when the manager is working because they practically tackle the customer when they come in the door and hound them about what they are looking for, very uncomfortable to witness.
    - Scheduling, again Management lacks guidance from the company. Some shifts you run off your feet, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the kids are off school and you are going to be busier.
    - Manager makes decisions based on their potential bonus, they cut shifts when it looks like they are going to be over their labour budget and end up losing sales because there is not enough support on the floor.

- you are losing customers with your lack of foresight with scheduling
    - you are losing customers bombarding them with every sale and promotion as they step into the store, this advice is based on what CUSTOMERS have said.

First and only job

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive managers encouraging growth within the company, great work environment, great customers, great staff

Cons

Not much notice of work schedule beforehand, schedule week to week. Frequent managers changing within stores

Keep more seasonal employees into the full time season

A place of hierarchy

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The higher your status is within the company management will treat you differently. I have proof.

Cons

Home Office thinks they know what they are doing when they give out orders to retail level. Example Blitz. How many new employees will they get with that system. They didn't even pay a premium. This company's policy: DO MORE WORK IN A WAREHOUSE SETTING, GET PAID LESS THAN A WAREHOUSE SETTING.

What you think works in some stores will not work in every store, that's why Kazan failed, and Blitz will too.

Fun job, short-term

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The staff was friendly, the customers were pretty good. Managers were helpful and understanding. I was allowed to borrow books and read when there were no customers, to familiarize myself with the merchandise.
    The job would vary from intense and fast-paced to very quiet. But with books around, I was never bored.

Cons

The hours I worked were decided week by week, so I never knew ahead of time when I would be working. Although they did work around my schedule.
    I was hired temporarily for the holiday season, but was told they would consider keeping me on. They did not keep me on.

Customer experience management

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Chapters Indigo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fast paced ever growing company. Full benefits and training. Love my employee. I made their jobs fun and easy. Customer service is most important.

Cons

No support from regionals. Managers are multi taskers from doing schedules to receiving stock. I am not a tasker but had to do it. Heavy lifting and constant carrying of heavy product. Pay sucks for the job I do compaired to other managers in my region. Way to many reports and not enough time with everything else I have to do. Leaving as soon as I find a new management job!

Listen to your managers!

Customer Experience Representative (Tasking Team)

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team of early morning Task Team
    Ease of requesting time off
    Ability to borrow books free of charge

Cons

Tasking Team are invisible to the individual store and the company as a whole
    Divide between sales/cash team and tasking team
    Regular daily cleanup of sales team inability to care for store closing policies
    There is almost zero training outside of sales and cash
    Safety violations for Task Team are overlooked as long as product gets out
    Only stockroom/warehouse job I have ever seen where there is no premium for manual labor

Make the tasking team feel like a part of the company. You force staff who have nothing to do with customer interactions, complete online training modules dealing strictly with cash operations and sales. There are no training modules on anything the task team does, who are the reason your store runs so smoothly. Incorporate additional training modules that show just how much work goes into tasking jobs.
    You have everyone perform a health and safety training module, where one of the key points is not leaving books on the floor since it is a safety hazard. Now, the latest work technique you have implemented is for the morning task force to lay piles of books on floor which must be put away before customer arrivals, completely disregarding your workers safety and ignoring safety protocols which you supposedly enforce.
    Unpacking skids with heavy product, transporting skids to appropriate location, moving heavy bookcases/display bases, etc. and being paid on par or less than sales staff is unheard of. Wage increases necessary for those doing all the manual labor in the store.

CER

Former Employee - CER
    Former Employee - CER

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time

Pros

Great discounts on books and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Customers get irritated at you when you constantly ask them if they're finding everything ok.

Chapters Indigo Photos

The Grand Daddy of Chapters!!

+ Add Photo