Chapters Indigo Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Heather Reisman

Pros
  • The discount on books can come in hand when ordering online (in 5 reviews)

• Fun work environment and great support staff (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the ideal place for those who need full time hours and benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, lack of possibility to grow (in 3 reviews)

1. Okay

Pros

Decent environment to work as part time

Cons

Need more input from people

2. Customer Experience Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Cambridge, ON (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo (More than 3 years)

Pros

Canadian Company, enjoyed the environment.

Cons

Retail, long hours, always short staffed.

Advice to Management

Take Management courses

3. Not Bad but not Great

Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're a book lover, you're surrounded by books! Staff Discount it 30% off, and it's additional on top of Bargain Books Lifestyle products are also a dream. Staff gets to hold items for nearly a month until your next paycheck date. Really great for Christmas shopping when it gets really busy, and you get first dibs on new merch and deals! Really good values. We call those who walk in 'guests' instead of customers, and the staff are called 'Customer Experience Representatives' instead of just Sales. Their mission and values really align to great customer service. Also, they have a system where you can 'rent/borrow books for a few months (I believe it was 3), so the entire store basically serves as your library!

Cons

I was hired during the Seasonal Employee rush, so that may have contributed to a not so great experience. I started around September and went until January, giving me a good 5 months to integrate myself into the work environment. Some of these criticisms may be more specified to the particular workers at my branch/city. There was a lot of work gossip, and a very awkward vibe between the veteran workers and the newly hired seasonals. Some of the managers were great and really welcomed the new crew, but a few select ones were a little more two-faced than the rest. However, this is to be expected at any work place. There will always be good and bad coworkers at every job.

Advice to Management

V5N 3T2

5. Chapters review!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gave me a change to interact with people and give advice to those who were looking or interested in specific books!!

Cons

You have to be well educated in multiple genres for book because you need to be able to help all customers and not just a targeted group based of only what books and authors you know!

Advice to Management

To be able to give use books of different genres to be able to self educate ourselves and then create staff meetings where we discuss information so everyone is informed about new information and learn new things to help customers!

6. Love it here!!

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Chapters Indigo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is lots to learn. It's constantly changing and growing. You get to borrow books. You get to influence change. Great bonuses!! Classy environment.

Cons

The schedules are very strict, not a lot of weekend time-off, but such is Retail. Sales pressure can be intense. Price point is just slightly above the reach of average customers. Merchandising updates often waste your time in making you do and and undo what you just did.

Advice to Management

More computers are needed in Manager's offices.

Can be good, can be awful.

Current Employee - Shift Lead
    Current Employee - Shift Lead

I have been working at Chapters Indigo (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The discount on the books - Most customers are fantastic - If you love books, generally you will be happy - If you have a good manager it's a great environment

Cons

- Minimum wage - Extremely strict dress code - Management can be horrible - Only schedules 5 hour shifts so you could work 5 shifts a week and barely make rent - Very pushy with things like sales, getting donations, having your loyalty percent up - They want small format stores to do more off hour tasking which means you will spend all day walking back and forth harassing customers because there is literally nothing else to do

Advice to Management

Pay people what the deserve to be paid. I'm not saying pay people who suck more than minimum but if you've got good employees why not make them want to stay?

8. Love Working Here

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- regular breaks - management and co-workers are considerate - teamwork - lots of different jobs to do in small format store - the job itself is easy, but fun and is different from day-to-day - employee discount

Cons

- in a small store it's not always easy to get all the hours you'd like

9. Great place to work

Former Employee - CER
    Former Employee - CER

Pros

- Friendly staff great people to work with - Awesome staff discounts - Flexible hours

Cons

-Min wage -on your feet for a long time

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

demeaning job, greedy company

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Truro, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative in Truro, NS (Canada)

Pros

only good reason to work at indigo is their discount, however online book prices usually beat out the employee discount

Cons

micro manaagement at its finest, Managers are emotional, mean, kiss butt to higher ups while the regional manager refuses to talk to lowly employees. Forget about advancement as they like to hire managers from the outside. really bad place to work.

Advice to Management

management in these stores is really bad, they use fear tactics and intimidation. We are yelled at if we don't ask for donations for a foundation chapters makes money off of. We are treated horribly.

11. Great Managment, and employees that love their job.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Representative

Pros

Always something new, staff discount, and friendly customers

Cons

Pay doesn't make it affordable to work full time

Advice to Management

More incentive to move up in the company

RSS Feed </> Embed