Chapters Indigo
www.chapters.ca Toronto, Canada

Chapters Indigo Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014
Chapters Indigo – Winnipeg – “The Grand Daddy of Chapters!!”

Heather Reisman

Chapters is a friendly environment empowering their employees to make the right choices best for the customer.

Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee)
Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking at Chapters is great because everyone is so friendly there. The hours are great and they are very fair not to make you work every weekend. They empower all of their staff on every level to make the right choices that will in the end make the customer so happy. Their main focus always is the customer experience and that is what drives me while I am working. Management employees get three weeks holidays right from the start…you do not have to work there for a year before you get holidays. They have great benefits and an RRSP contribution program in effect. Their employees are just as important to them as their customer and that is what drives us to provide the customer with the best possible experience.

ConsI do not have any complaints about working there at all but if you said I HAD to come up with one, well I guess it would be the shift where I work until 11pm and then work again at 8am the next day. That said….I do not really mind that at all hahaha…I honestly have no complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I had to share some advice to upper management I would ask for them to implement a Canada savings bond program. I had that at my previous job and loved it. Almost every was into it. I bought honda for all my nieces and whatever we signed up for was always payroll deduct. I would love to have that again!!! Some people contributed a certain amount every year and cashed them in at Christmas so they could do their shopping or to take winter holidays. It was a great way for staff to save money for the things they might have trouble saving for or a great gift to give if you buy for someone else. It is called the payroll savings program and can all be signed up for online. Please start that!!!! That and don't close the gate on our bonuses for things like buying tape at Christmas to do the gift wrapping when it is something that we are required to do. Things that we are required to do at the store should not close our bonus gate.

Customer Service Experience

Sales Associate At Indigo (Former Employee)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood discount for purchasing their products.
Pleasant work environment. Things seem nice.

ConsLots of cliques in workplace. They don't give decent raises. Varying work hours can be closing and then open early next morning. 25 cent raises very common even after years of working there. Little chance of moving up in position. It is a minuim wage to start and insulting raises. Suppose better than none, that is their motto. Don't get enough hours to benefit any company perks, its for management, they get better wages and more hours. Too many managers and few part time workers to do the grunt work.
Customers can do anything, cer must exercise all tolerance no matter what the situation. Many nasty, rude customers, Chapters has trained their customers can get away with anything, long as they spend money or the hope to. Management does not back up their staff, EVER. Anything goes wrong, cer fault and no 25 cent raise. Anything goes to sell, push it to the customers, push flyers in their face, have to ask for donations and sell memberships, quotas to meet all day long.. No commisions for selling, only minium wage.Twenty hours a week not enough to live on at a minium wage. They make high profits, expect the moon and stars. and do not pay their staff that do high jumps and bend over touch your toes for them. Wage Slaves!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the management is decent. All of the orders come from head office. It all comes from the core.
If the company wants to save money they need not keep a minium wage. TRY TWO MANAGERS IN YOUR STORE INSTEAD OF FIVE, AND GIVE YOUR POOR WAGE SLAVE A BETTER WAGE! The stores could save alot of funds by less managers, most of them don't do much anyway except chase the cer's. Okay thanks.

Very bright and happy place

Tasker (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat co workers, all readers of course, engaging discussions and positive reinforcement from managers and supervisors all the time. Co-workers really help you feel welcomed when you're new and it feels like everyone is a family

ConsI work tasking shifts so it's early morning at 5am. Very bad times for a student working part time as you have to sleep early the night before to make sure you're not dead tired when you start work

Advice to Senior Managementnone

The worst.

Sales Associate At Indigo (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time

ProsIt's easy to get employed and we got a discount. Once a manager got us lunch when we were working Christmas Eve.

ConsI have worked a lot of retail jobs and this was by far the worst.

- extremely low pay. I was paid minimum wage. My manager (I think he was an assistant or shift manager) made less than $22,000 a year including overtime.
- we were searched every time we left the building. Often we would have to wait around at the end of a shift because the managers were busy, so we couldn't even leave the store until 20-30 minutes after our shift ended.
- there was an extreme focus on numbers. Every morning started with a report on the previous day's sales and goals for the current day and we would be blamed if we didn't meet those numbers, even if we had spent most of our shift in an empty section. We cannot will customers to appear.
- virtually no contact with managers aside from the morning meeting and bag check. I'm pretty sure most of the managers didn't know most of our names.
- there was no sense of camaraderie among employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like thieves. Recognize their work and don't blame them for poor sales.

It was a great experience working in a wonderful environment surrounded by books.

Customer Experience Representative (Former Employee)
Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time for less than a year

Pros-the discount is very good
-we get to borrow books from the store
-bonus gift cards if you sell a lot
-get to work at book signings, get to see celebrities

Cons-must sell, sell, sell
-dealing with unhappy customers
-managers are very picky with uniform (shirt must be collared, no uggs)

Great company, great products

Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Chapters Indigo full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Canadian owned company, growing unique product selection, wide range of job responsibilities

ConsNot the greatest schedule, longer evening shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training

I love this job. I dislike the salary.

CER (Current Employee)
Langley, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Chapters Indigo part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe managers are incredible people. It is a big staff, so plenty of new friends. The job is enjoyable with perks such as borrowing books. There are loyal and happy customers.

ConsThe pay is very disappointing, also very small chance of advancing in the work place. Also they will not hire full time because they are cheap.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring full time.

OK for the short term

CER (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat co-workers, good products, good staff discount, lovely customers

ConsManagement - absolutely no communication, encouraged to "snitch" on other employees, treated like idiots. Hours changed without notice and then management said we had got it wrong. It got so bad people started taking a photo of their rota from the computer. With proper management it could be a great job. Bag search every shift, but managers not checked!

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers trying to get one over each other. Treat your cer's with the respect they deserve. Clearly managers have not been told that if they treat people fairly, then they will go the extra mile for them, if not, they will do the basics and go! Last thing, people go to a book store to buy a book, cut the overpriced tat, $20 for heart shaped bird feed.....ridiculous!

Never been so disappointed with a job.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Dartmouth, NS (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time for less than a year

Pros- Good discount on books and other items in the store.
- Some of the employees are awesome to be around.

Cons- Poor management. I felt consistently harassed by some of the management team who had no clue how to do anything. Continued to force employees to do embarrass and pushy things towards the customer, which in the end just scared them away.

- I felt frequently left out and alienated at work due to social cliques.

- The hours are inconsistent and was always stuck with the evening shifts nobody wanted.

- Was asked to do things outside of my job description.

- Employees encouraged to tattle on other employees for their own personal gain. To be in favour of management.

- Some managers brought their personal problems to work, taking it out on others.

-So many times I was told to clean up messes and problems a manager would make, making it feel as though I was a slave. Snapping fingers at an employee to do your job is degrading.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who are actually going to put an effort in their work and have knowledge in what they are hired for. Don't hire who ever first applies for the job.

Music Department

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Chapters Indigo part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat workspace. Able to listen and sample all new music. Really able to work independently and take your time with each potential customers with answering questions and providing assistance.

ConsCompensation was minimum wage back in 2009. As well, there were no benefits and it was hard to get full time hours.

Worked for Chapters Indigo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chapters Indigo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chapters Indigo CEO Heather Reisman . All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Chapters Indigo employees.