Charah Reviews

Charles Price

1. Good, but....

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

I worked at Charah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits and co-workers

Cons

Management above site Supervisor were regular liars.

Advice to Management

Be honest with the employees and realize those who contribute to the company are more valuable than anyone with seniority.

2. Poor Safety Adherence

Former Employee - Silo Operator in Lena, LA
    Former Employee - Silo Operator in Lena, LA

I worked at Charah full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company seems to try to set you up for success as far as financial planning.

Cons

With my experience point blank I felt like I was swept under the rug. They preached about safety but the two issues(fly ash in the lungs, and chemical burns) that I brought up were shunned upon and ultimately led to my termination. When I spoke with upper management about my complaints they attempted to tell me about the mitigation they had in place for the issues at hand, but I was the crew, not just myself brought the fact up prior to my suggestion that the specific mitigation for chemical burns were ineffective. The company also forced individuals to work when lightning was danger close. They changed regulations in their favor to make myself look bad and blatantly disregarded my health. When I attempted to contact Corporate Human Resource I was lied to about getting back with me on my complaint about being wrongfully terminated. The work life balance was a main complaint for the men at my site. I personally brought it up that 1-2 more men would lighten the work load and allow more time off. I was told it was not going to happen.

Advice to Management

Listen to the men and woman doing the work rather then criticizing them for attempting to make their work place safer, especially when you preach safety day in and day out.

3. supervisor

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Belews Creek, NC
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Belews Creek, NC

I have been working at Charah full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is decent but not based on the employees past experience, equipment is in good working order and maintained or repaired by a mechanic in a timely manner or within a few days. They supply water to the employees on hot days.

Cons

The supervisor expects the employee to know proper procedures in all aspects of work and public relations as well as communication when needs arise. As an employee you are not allowed to make any decisions on your own, even when you know it's the best option. Know your place or they will put you in it.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, understand their concerns, don't be quick to judge, be professional yet also be a friend. Correct with kindness, communicate with and appreciate the employee often. Encourage perfection and reward as seen fit. Improve your educational material to include a personal guide booklet for employees with more detail about responsibility.

5. laid off

Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Centertown, KY
    Former Employee - Equipment Operator in Centertown, KY

I worked at Charah (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent wage close to home

Cons

Due to improper management,could not depend on being steady.

6. Very political...... Not a positive work environment with heavy management finger pointing from upper management.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Charah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Anticipate working 50-70 HR/WK in management with some time off after project completion. The so called policies are closely monitored with some training

Cons

The leadership is splintered with the two favorites appointed by the owner creating their own clicks. The office is separated to 3 floors. Accounting is at the lowest level, project management and estimating is on the ground floor with the owner and upper management on the top floor. The culture is not healthy, leadership micromanages, yells, demands result and looks for the sacrificial lamb when things don't go as they want. More of a selfish, childish family dynamic.

Advice to Management

No advice...... The company is ripe with political agendas, backstabbing, dysfunctional.

7. Excellent Power Industry Company

Former Employee - Project Manager in Canton, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Canton, IL

I worked at Charah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well experienced management and engineering support. Good benefits and work environment for all employees. Excellent equipment provided. Very safety committed and trained.

Cons

Most job positions are out of town and hard to move to a closer location near your home. lengthy out of town projects.

Advice to Management

Support your lower management

Not what I expected

I worked at Charah full-time

Pros

Small company, family owned, customer focused

Cons

Small company, family owned, controlling

Advice to Management

take better care of your employees

Mixed emotion

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roxboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roxboro, NC

I worked at Charah full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, plenty of over time

Cons

The mechanic tries to run the whole job. He pushes for his own family to advance and no one else. There is a lot of back stabbing and one of the young leaders there had to be the dumbest kid ever he only has a role because of cousin mechanic.

Advice to Management

Run it the way it used to be.

10. Better Places to Work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Charah full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much....there are intelligent educated individuals to work with on a peer level. Some are quite interesting from their unique background

Cons

Dysfunctional top down management leads to infighting among internal departments. People don’t stay typical work week is 60 plus hours, revolving door of talent. Terminations are abound, with management chumming up to slit your throat. A deceptive place inside perceiving a strong outer shell. Company demands employment confidentiality, non-compete, non-disclosure and solicitation agreement prior to employment that is totally one sided.

Advice to Management

Change your management style

Good company but bad local management

Former Employee - Operator in Roxboro, NC
    Former Employee - Operator in Roxboro, NC

I worked at Charah full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Alot of overtime. Pay is average

Cons

Politics. If you dont suck up enough you will end up on the bad list and you will be gone one way or another. 70 hrs week.

Advice to Management

Change management. Respect the workers

RSS Feed </> Embed