Charfen Institute Reviews

2.9
Alex Charfen

great place to work

I worked at Charfen Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great atmosphere, great energy, very enthusiastic individuals willing to help you in every way possible. Definitely consider working at this place. Great ownership as well. the people are great to work with and management is very helpful. they also do alot of community charity work and they are very "austin" They like to have alot of fun

Cons

since its a start up there are alot of changes that usually dont make much sense. dont expect pay to be great and expect over the top high energy stuff that will get on your nerves some of the time. still a good place to work though.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I have been working at Charfen Institute full-time

Pros

Some of the best relationships that I have built have been at this company. There are incredibly talented, intelligent, and genuine people that work here. They will continually support you and provide relief to the daily painful grind that you are subjected to during your employment here.

Cons

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

I would liken it to 'the winter of despair.'

If you are a sucker for punishment, constant criticism, paranoia, and enjoy tolerating toddler-like temper tantrums–than this company is a perfect fit for you.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

You lead by example, which is a frightful thing if people are actually following your example. Maybe one day you will wake up from this sickening matrix that you have created...But then again, that is only a dream isn't it? Which unfortunately I think will float away to the same place your conscience disappeared to.

Employment

I worked at Charfen Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Alex Charfen at best is a misongynist.
    Truly should be sued and put out of business requesting his employees to post on line for good reviews. Turnover is 400%

Cons

If your looking for short term employment this is the place...
    The only reason he is in business is because its Texas which sides with employers on most unemployment cases...
    I know most will read this and say oh they are angry, the reality is I am not angry make a wise decision and move onto another job before working here..

Stop lying to the public driving your Maserati. Selling a bill of goods and ruining individuals by selling them a piece of goods that is a lie...

low wages bad attitude by fellow employees not what I called a good job

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Charfen Institute

Pros

you may learn a little about the real estate business

Cons

if there was at hiring push it was only for their convention being over they will let people go there's no need for their products the Consulting is a joke there's no room to grow it's dying on the vine

sell this company and do something else

An Amazing Experience

Former Employee - Business Solutions Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Solutions Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Charfen Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

“You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” - Charlie “Tremendous” Jones
    I know that’s a cheesy quote but it’s true for me. The Charfen Institute is only one of two companies that have impacted me professionally and personally. I’ve been in sales for 13 years and this is the first time where I truly felt that what I was selling made a difference in peoples lives. I sold our bread and butter (CDPE), but I really came to life when I sold our business-coaching program. The coaches are amazing and they provide real value to make a profound impact for our members. The pay was promising as I didn’t have quotas and I received residual income, which is rare these days. Twice a year the company has a personal goal setting session. I remember putting one daunting goal down thinking it would never manifest, but it did! I never would’ve gone for it if Alex didn’t challenge me. I also had the opportunity to work with people who had the same values and mindset, which is rare as well. I personally learned a lot from Alex Charfen.

Cons

I’ve read most of the negative reviews and I disagree with most of them. The pay is low – it’s a startup! Not a lot of structure – I like that AND it’s a startup! Leadership doesn’t know what they are doing – please, no one has a crystal ball, they thought CDPE would carry them and they didn’t anticipate well – this happens to the best of businesses so get over it! Leadership keeps changing directions – guess what, that’s what startups do! They had to layoff people – duh, it’s a startup! Alex Charfen is manipulative – I ‘ve never seen that in 1.5 years I’ve worked there. “The company is run by a guy who was bankrupt in 2008, that should give you an idea of how good he is at running a business.” “Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.” Are you kidding me? Alex Charfen ran several businesses including a mortgage company and his wife sold 100 homes in a year. The last thing I will say is that yes, it is ideal if leadership embodies the core values all the time, but they’re human too. They acknowledge their mistakes and try to learn from them just like us. I can say I left a better person than when I joined 1.5 years ago.

Keep focused on what you guys are about and do a better job of selecting the right people and not ones who just "don't get it".

Don't buy into it

I worked at Charfen Institute

Pros

*crickets* *crickets* *bullfrog* *crickets* *one last cricket*

Cons

This is the most manipulative company I've ever worked for. The owner/CEO/whatever he wants to call himself is a joke who has no clue what he's doing running a business. He's not innovative, so when the market turns on his product, he goes nuts and tries to destroy everything around him. They're about to begin a big hiring push, if they haven't already, but do not fall for it. They will turn around and let you go as soon as they're done with you for their "big rush". There's nothing wrong with this, if it's said up front that it is a temporary position, but they'll tell you how much they want you in their "family" and how you'll get all these great benefits, etc. It's a joke.

The people you work with will all be easily led, non-thinking drones who feel that they are really doing some good for people by bilking them out of money, sometimes without the poor members knowing it. Ever had to tell a woman she won't get her $100 back and it doesn't matter that she can't afford her own rent this month? Good times. What SIDES does that fall under?

Close the doors and cut your losses. Not doing anybody any good.

If you don't wake up every day wanting to achieve something more than yesterday, then you probably won't like it here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Charfen Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love this team and I love the leadership. Every morning I am surrounded by people who are driven to be better people and better professionals, and that drives me to be better. We set goals, encourage each other and cheer each other on when we achieve.

Cons

This isn't a company for everyone. Our CEO is intensely hands-on with everyone who works here, and he pushes us to want more for ourselves. If you are uncomfortable with personal development, or satisfied with what you are today, or if you like to hide your goals away from the world and wish for them to happen, don't apply here. We polarize on purpose and I'm proud to be one of the few who can handle it.

Keep doing what you do.

Don't believe the hype

I worked at Charfen Institute

Pros

You will learn how to be taken advantage of. You may have the opportunity to help others quit.

Cons

The CEO is most likely bipolar and can swing from extremely motivational to becoming extremely scared and destroying everything (including his own company) that scares him.

I'd like to know the lies you tell yourself so you can sleep at night.

Meh.

I worked at Charfen Institute

Pros

My old supervisor was really nice. But he's gone now. Of course. I also liked the catered Jason's Deli lunches on Fridays. I got a brand new Macbook Pro while I worked there.

Cons

If you really love working 12+ hour days, getting guilted for leaving work "early" (at 5), aren't interested in "praying to the universe" every morning, and doing it all for a pilfering salary, then I don't recommend working here.

Don't count on It

I worked at Charfen Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work experience if you're young or haven't worked much yet because they will hire anyone. A lot of transparency into the way the company is run. Also, this place used to be full of really interesting people.

Cons

The rate of turning over was always over 70% during 2 years I was with the company. 70%!
    This is a very high stress work environment and employees are paid very low salaries. Most employees make less than $17 an hour.
    There is no incentive or reward for staying with this company long term. Loyal employees are regularly thrown out based on the whims of the mercurial owners and they're usually tricked into signing away their right to get unemployment.

Those who can, do.