CharityUSA.com Reviews

1 Rating

1. Living Up To Its Name

Current Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Editor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at CharityUSA.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CharityUSA operates the GreaterGood network of websites, and they live up to their name by doing incredible ecommerce (retail and wholesale), content aggregation and direct giving efforts. Despite being a nearly 20-year-old company, they still run like a startup with a fairly flat structure. There is only one level of separation between me and the CMO, as well as me and the VP of Technology. Relaxed work environment, lots of different areas to grow.

Cons

The company is very focused on maintaining its current system, and doesn't seem to be willing to lose money in the short term to redefine its identity for more health longterm. They also pay like a 501(c)3 even though they aren't. If they want to attract top talent, pay should be more competitive.

2. Overall, I did enjoy working there.

I worked at CharityUSA.com

Pros

It might have just been my position in the company, but at my lower level I rarely had meetings to deal with or too much bureaucracy crap. I was given lots of freedom to do whatever I needed to get my job done. Lower management did listen to my ideas and I did save the company a lot of money.
    My direct manager was excellent. No micromanagement, odd requests, or any of that usual stuff that we all detest. Do my job, all was good.

Cons

I won't name any names, but I'll just say "upper management".

Advice to Management

Listen to employees ideas like you say you will. Don't get wrong ideas about employees that aren't correct.

Mediocre management

Former Contractor - Director of Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Director of Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at CharityUSA.com as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Feel good product, charity shopping & support

Cons

Management lacks gravitas, site design poor

Advice to Management

Clean up UI design. Market more

Lots of good people trying their hardest, against a tough headwind

I have been working at CharityUSA.com

Pros

the staff members are almost without exception wonderful to work with. there are very few toxic employees. generally, people are friendly and open, and eager to work to find the best solution for the company.

downtown seattle office is nice and centrally located. benefits are good.

Cons

management makes really odd decisions sometimes, and refuses to listen to their staff members. management seems unwilling to learn from others in their field who could help mentor them through running a growing company.

communication between teams needs help sometimes. there is also no org chart, so it's very confusing who is reporting to who. people with more access get their ideas heard, but people without access do not.

Advice to Management

be willing to learn, willing to admit that maybe you were wrong and there was a better way. less arrogance and top-down politics, and you can take better advantage of the wonderful staff of committed and idealistic people who work for you.

it's difficult to take a company from small to medium-large. other people have done it before, so why not learn from people who have been there, instead of making every newbie mistake yourself?

comfy place, weird decisions

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at CharityUSA.com

Pros

small company
    excellent location
    competitive salary
    friendly staff

Cons

lack of development plan
    sticking to status quo
    no support for innovation initiatives
    very top-bottom management style

Advice to Management

Trust your people, communicate plans and decision, accept or at least discuss employee initiatives

Giving back doesn't have to suck

I have been working at CharityUSA.com

Pros

Great, friendly atmosphere where talking is encouraged. Everyone has their thing to do and at the same time will give input on what can be done in other areas without coming off like a know it all.

Cons

Small, growing company so possibility of promotion hard to tell.

Advice to Management

Continue what your doing and realize that as we are growing we need to change our ways and update somethings.

Hardworking employees, bad management

I worked at CharityUSA.com full-time

Pros

Really great benefits.
    Casual office environment.
    Great coworkers, hardworking people.
    Friendly office environment, overall.
    Office is in a great location.
    The stated mission of the company is wonderful.

Cons

For most positions (especially assistants and entry level employees), pay is well below what it should be for the jobs.
    Men make more than women, in most roles.
    Top-down management style. One level never/rarely knows what the other is doing, making it very hard for those under management to know what to do.
    Lots of favoritism, office politics, and scapegoating. It really depends on which team you work for; some of the managers are really great and some are very difficult to work for. There is really no middle ground.
    Management will not listen to the ideas of those in lower positions or concede that you may have knowledge or experience that could help if them. They ask you to come up with ideas but won't listen to anything you do come up with.
    There is a very low morale in the company overall because of the backbiting and scapegoating, mainly.

Advice to Management

In a professional environment, everyone should be treated with a basic level of human decency, regardless of your personal feelings for that person. Turnover would be lower, and thereby output and productivity higher, if there wasn't so much confusion caused by secrecy of upper management. Also, taking responsibility. If you tell someone under you to do a task, don't lay the blame on them when its not met with the results you wanted.

RSS Feed </> Embed