Charles River Associates

Charles River Associates Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Charles River Associates President Paul Maleh

Paul Maleh

Pros
  • If you want good work-life balance, it's not a bad place to work at(in 8 reviews)

• Learn a lot about large commercial litigation and how to prepare an expert report(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a large enough investment in developing junior staff skills(in 9 reviews)

• Senior management has tried to build team environment but they are as guilty of the bonus driven culture as anyone(in 9 reviews)

Good stepping stone, but little long term-potential for bright undergrads

Associate (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsBuild up quant skills, and billing model allows for flexibility in work-life balance. Good primer for how to work in a professional consulting firm, and decent training in Excel, Powerpoint, SAS. Great connections with faculty at leading business schools.

ConsDriven by billing model (bill as many hours as you can) rather than doing high-value work. Many tasks were encouraged to be done in a tedious manner rather than spending the time to develop a scalable, elegant solution (which earns less for the company).

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to market the satellite offices better, as the talent at other firms is no better yet they have many more relationships.

Very analytical, interesting work, management is not great.

Consulting Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe work is very challenging and interesting, and if you get the right managers you get a lot of responsibility and independence very quickly. Pay is very good.

ConsSome long work weeks, and the management of the company is not great. Economists should not be running the business, business people should! Sometimes frustrating if you are in a non-Boston office since the company is extremely Boston centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to treat people in smaller non-Boston offices more fairly. Provide more opportunities for cross-office collaboration.

Consulting practice, Charles River Associates

Senior Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery bright and talented people
    Great culture - easy to approach partners and senior management
    interesting projects
    Great mix of industry and consulting hires
    Strong in Chemicals and Petroleum

ConsHigh staff turnover since winding down of ME office, and acquisition of Marakon
    Formal training doesn't really match that of its peers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay overall, but depends a lot on office/practice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston (Bolivia)

ProsSmart people, generally flexible hours, mostly great office environment/culture. For junior staff, good place to get some experience before graduate school.

ConsIf you get stuck in a bad practice, your experience will be miserable. Most managers are nice but some are terrible do not respect your abilities or personal time. Despite what they say, strong advancement without a Ph.D. (MBA okay in some practices) is very, very difficult. Senior management does not value junior staff and treats them accordingly.

Good experience, but on it's last legs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood experience, good work/life balance, good people.

ConsPoor management from the US, no strategy.

An Excellent Company

Accountant (Former Employee) Manama (Bahrain)

ProsEncourages Staff Development
    Tution Aid
    Cosmopolitan Staff
    Excellent Management
    Market leader in the consultany industry

ConsDownsizing after the financial crisis in the US
    Job Security is falling

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent Work!

Good brand, great minds at work; senior people have big egos

Consulting Associate (Former Employee)

Pros- Great place to learn an industry, especially when some of the main experts in the world are working there
    - Academic environment, fast learning curve
    - Good brand on resume

Cons- Senior people carry big egos, can be difficult to work with
    - Intra-company politics can be irritating
    - Compensation is benchmarked with the mid-tier consulting firms when they claim to be a top tier consulting firm
    - Review and promotion process is very arbitrary

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some structure in the review and compensation process. Tackle the big egos.

Overall not satisfied

Associate (Former Employee)

Pros- Smart people
    - Diversity of project work
    - Casual atmosphere

Cons- Senior staff does not care enough about junior staff
    - Long hours
    - Compensation

Overall, my experience has been a postive one.

ProsIt's been my experience that employees are very down-to-earth. We have very intelligent folks here who are dedicated, determined and take pride in their work.

ConsLack of growth potential.
    Compensation.

IT Family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat collaboration within IT team. Family like atmosphere. Great work under pressure and maintained superior level of professionalism with users and clients. Can do attitude prevalent with the staff.

ConsWithin IT team not very many cons. Worked in a branch office so had to handle many things on my own. Career advancements would have required working in corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe IT team has always been great. I've learned a lot from my peers and continue my friendships with them beyond my departure.

Worked for Charles River Associates? Contribute to the Community!