Charles River Laboratories

Charles River Laboratories Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles River Laboratories Chairman, President, Director and CEO James C. Foster

James C. Foster

Pros:
  • "Really good benefits- medical/dental, 401k"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great work-life balance, ability to grow within the company if you don't mind moving to other locations based on job availability"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Meetings were fraught with bad-mouthing corporate and shooting sarcasm at upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of communication between upper management and lower employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company with good people working there!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work/life experience with people who value their work at the company. Great to be with groups who have been at the company for many years.

ConsCan be a little slow in growth but if you're willing to take the initiative, the company will definitely help put you on the right path.

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, work schedule, family oriented company

ConsAbsolutely nothing, I wish they had a location in the country I currently live.

Focused Professional Life Science Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFully supported staff with space, administrative supplies, made expectations clear, high salary, extras such as coffee and breakfast/ family events. Secure work place. Really good benefits- medical/dental, 401k.

ConsRapid growth and then layoff for some, not family flexible, parking lots issue. Cafeteria food cost too much, and difficult to go off site due to security.Too much overtime. Too many people getting hurt at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the best at what you are good at. Do not become Bausch and Lomb.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Charles River promotes a work-life balance

Director (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, MA

ProsCharles River is a large company with a smaller, family-oriented feel. Employees are challenged to do their jobs well and achieve goals - both related to their own personal development and company objectives. We are also given the flexibility and autonomy to manage our own responsbilities and schedules. This helps promote a positive work-life balance, as does one of the company's great benefits - "summer breeze" (half-day Fridays in the summer).

ConsI suggest bringing your own lunch. There are not many places to eat within a 5-10 minute drive, and the cafeteria could be better.

Great Opportunities and Career Advancements at Charles River

Global Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsPatience does pay-off at Charles River. Great career opportunities and transitions available from scientific / technical to business development and onwards to global marketing. This is a true differentiator of working at CR, they open career paths for you, create a good environment to excel in and let you develop at your own pace.

ConsChallenging past few years in overall CRO market with many difficult decisions taken. Having navigated through this market, it has made our company and employees better prepared for emerging opportunities and ready to capitalize on new innovations.

Charles River: A fulfilling place to work

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, MA

ProsCharles River is a great company and employer. The management team has created a good foundation for positive results in our field and in the community. The amount of mentoring and guidance I have received allows me to excel in my personal and professional life. There is so much room for advancement. Charles River employees are provided with a healthy and encouraging work environment that I had not experienced until I started working here.

Charles River also provides a valuable service to the community through our research and development. By working for Charles River you feel like you are contributing towards a greater goal of helping people through curing diseases, even if you are not a scientist in one of our many labs around the world.

I feel that Charles River is a rewarding place to work and would highly recommend employment at Charles River to friends, relatives and colleagues.

ConsI do not feel that there are cons to working at Charles River. As responsible employees we are encouraged to pave a path towards personal and professional growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the management team would be to continue to help employees strive to be their best. By all of us working towards common goals and objectives we can exceed expectations. I see a bright future for Charles River and appreciate having the chance to contribute towards such a dynamic organization.

Great place to work!

Prosfeeling of inclusiveness and being part of something that has demonstrated an overall improvement to the quality of life

Conslower on the pay scale

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing

Hard Work Honest Pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent Benefits, You know what the work you have to do is, no tricks with this company.

Conslong periods of time bending over and lifting things can eventually hurt your back and I have seen it happen to people.

Strong company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice balance of work/life....in the beginning.

ConsHad new Supervisor oversee my operations and changed the schedule since it did not work well with hers upsetting the balance of life/work.

Great Company to Work For

ProsGood supervisors who listen to suggestions. Yearly awards and nomination recognition.

ConsNot much opportunity for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for advancement by offering trainings

Worked for Charles River Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charles River Laboratories reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Charles River Laboratories CEO James C. Foster. All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Charles River Laboratories employees.