Charles River Laboratories

Charles River Laboratories Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles River Laboratories Chairman, President, Director and CEO James C. Foster

James C. Foster

Pros
  • Really good benefits- medical/dental, 401k (in 6 reviews)

• Great work-life balance, ability to grow within the company if you don't mind moving to other locations based on job availability (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Meetings were fraught with bad-mouthing corporate and shooting sarcasm at upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of communication between upper management and lower employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Get in, get reimbursed education, transfer internally a lot to build skills/knowledge, then go to Pharma/Biotech company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA good place to learn some of the basics of nonclinical testing. A good place to start building career network if you are just out of college.

ConsIf you stick with one position or one group for a long time, your knowledge will quickly plateau. Career development is very limited. If you want to progress in your career, you need to actively transfer within the company yourself (or leave).

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my experience, fear-based management tactics were used. This is not a sustainable model. Also, if you want employees to stick around for a long time, open up sites in rural areas.

Sinking ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsFor people new to the industry you will get a lot of experience in a short time. Montreal site still carries some respect from CTBR times but that will not last for much longer.

ConsVery poor management.
    Nepotism
    Poor organization.
    Scientific quality is secondary to costs.
    Short termism

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy some real managers with track records, not just friends and yes men.

Focused on Business. Not so much on it's employees and departments

Supervisor (Current Employee) Wilmington, MA

ProsWork Schedule- very relaxed
    co-workers- are great.Many great employees have come, gone and remain with the company. More leave than stay
    Benefits- average and has consistently increased in costs every year

Constoo many senior management rolls and not enough workers.
    low pay compared to local companies
    inconsistent in yearly evaluations and promotions.
    management worries about every other department except it's own

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reno Site - Laid back culture but heavy workloads

Quality Assurance Auditor II (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsIt is nice working in a professional environment that still maintains a casual, laid-back culture. Employees are dedicated to the mission of the company, which is aiding and accelerating drug development through preclinical research. I enjoy having a great deal of autonomy in my position... NEVER micromanaged.

ConsWorkloads within some departments were overwhelming at times. In general, salaries are not commensurate with other CROs and certainly not with large pharm/biotech companies. CRL- Nevada benefits from being the only gig in town for those with a biology/life sciences background. A lot of employees stay because the area is rich in quality outdoor activity, not to mention lower cost of living than the West Coast science hubs. That said, CRL seems to even be falling behind on salaries compared to other companies in the small Reno market.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuggest periodic research/adjustment to ensure that salaries ranges are current and competitive.

Unnecessarily high stress for a job that shouldn't be this hard.

ProsFor the kind of things that we are responsible for, the salary is good. Also, coworkers are great. The vet techs and most PI's are friendly and easy to talk to.

ConsManagement is TERRIBLE. You are stuck between a rock and a hard place constently. People are in constant fear of losing their job or they stop caring for the job. For the work that is done, they hire people that are over qualified to make up for the lack of training provided. They promise that things will get better. However, they are really slow on their promises. Also, there is no opportunity to grow, unless you don't mind moving to different locations. This is a new contract. Therefore, I'm really hoping things will improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because it is a contract, does not mean your employees should be pushed a side to meet the demands of the client. Also, before blaming other people for the mistakes they might have made due to said person feeling overwhelmed, look internally to figure out why all employees are feel this way. Do not just take the clients word for it. Discuss the situation with the employee to make a well rounded informed decision.

Good company with good people working there!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work/life experience with people who value their work at the company. Great to be with groups who have been at the company for many years.

ConsCan be a little slow in growth but if you're willing to take the initiative, the company will definitely help put you on the right path.

Opportunities for career growth was nonexistent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, ability to work from home

ConsManagement has become increasingly lean with very little mentoring

One Company who is still figuring things out

Research Technician III (Former Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsGreat work-life balance, ability to grow within the company if you don't mind moving to other locations based on job availability.

ConsThe leaders in the company have little experience and could take a step back and listen and appreciate the technical staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back to evaluate your technical staff. Get rid of the dead weight and show appreciation to those employees who bend over backwards.

Hard Work Honest Pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent Benefits, You know what the work you have to do is, no tricks with this company.

Conslong periods of time bending over and lifting things can eventually hurt your back and I have seen it happen to people.

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits, work schedule, family oriented company

ConsAbsolutely nothing, I wish they had a location in the country I currently live.

Worked for Charles River Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!