Charles River Laboratories

www.criver.com
Profile Unclaimed

Accept a position at CRL with caution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very team-oriented approach to the laboratory work, where you can get help when you need it. You then, are expected to offer your services. Teaches you time management.

Cons

If you are a senior member of the company, with a good salary, be aware you eventually will be targeted for being laid off. The company somehow determines the revenue each site should bring in each quarter. This number is routinely unattainable, and when it is inevitably not reached, high paid employees will be eliminated. The remaining staff then has to absorb the extra work, thus lowering morale ever more. An endless cycle. Management in MA are aware of this problem, but simply put, don't care.

Whatever algorithm is used to determine the numbers.....stop using it. Be concerned that the quality of life for your employees is below sub-par.

Upper management seems clueless

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories

Pros

Small, friendly lab, great co-workers, flexible hours (reason for 2 stars)

Cons

things often reach a 'crisis mode' where our managers get pummeled by upper mgmt; trickle-down effect. data management: methods are sloppy, technology is atrocious and primitive, time-waster. clients seem to be promised more than employees.

Upper mgmt - recognize the value of your "low-level" employees. CARE about your employees. none of us at this lab feel you do.

Employees are really just faceless bodies here.

Former Employee - Report Coordinator
    Former Employee - Report Coordinator

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture (at US and UK sites), benefits, core values.

Cons

No room for advancement unless you are friends with management, team morale extremely low at most sites, lots of political infighting, very poor salaries at Canadian site.

Stop using fear tactics to keep people working at 110% with low morale and burnout. It is well documented that encouragement and advancement opportunities make people want to give their best at work.
    Stop rewarding years of loyal, exceptional service to the company with employee layoffs. The company is known for them and has a relatively negative public image.

Beware, not a good place to work

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of work to keep you busy. You'll never get fired.

Cons

HR and Sr. Management treat employees like crud. You better know how to kiss up and stay on EVERYONE's good side at ALL times or else you are in for a bad time. CRL doesn't seem to believe in firing people which means that no matter how imcompetent your coworkers are, you are stuck with them.

prison like atmosphere

Current Employee - Animal Caretaker in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Animal Caretaker in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none the work is Repetitive and mind numbing

Cons

Always changing rules and standards management is almost totally incompetent, if you last long Enough you will need some type of corrective Surgery

need to replace all management at frederick location, the company needs to look at how each location is managed and put in place a set of standard rules, it is like each location is its own entity inside of charles river

There's Potential, But Needs Some Help

Current Contractor - Lab Tech in Malvern, PA
    Current Contractor - Lab Tech in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Rather laidback work environment. Managers dress business casually and technicians can dress in jeans.
    -Very friendly employees. Made me feel very welcome there the very first day.
    -Flexible schedules, for wage employees at least. You can arrive and leave at just about any time you want as long as you get in your 40 hours.
    -Nice place to get experience.

Cons

-Sometimes a little too laidback. I learned that people can get away with a lot of things that are downright unethical and sometimes dangerous.
    -Apparently incompetency doesn't get one fired.
    -Lack of communication between upper management and lower employees. Several cases of the right hand not knowing with the left hand is doing.
    -Low wages compared to many pharmaceutical companies.
    -Upper management seems unconcerned with employee needs.
    -High turnover rates.

Listen to your employees' concerns and take them seriously, lest you lose a lot of good workers. This has been a common theme during my time there.

High Turnover For a Reason

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Vacation time, pay isn't great but fair considering Reno's cost of living, the abundance of biology majors in this college town, and lack of other biotech companies. They could probably get away with paying less so I do give them credit for not short changing their employees.

Cons

The other reviews are spot on about nepotism and the work environment. Most people are trying to get into nursing school or constantly applying to other jobs. As others have said, they are the only biotech company in town so unless you are willing to move out of the area or change fields.... You are stuck here.

Layoff happy. If you have a mortgage, a family, or are looking for something long term. This isn't the place for you. Sure the economy is on an upswing now but there will be times again in the future when it will do down. I’ve watched as people who have worked there for almost a decade are let go in layoffs.

Terrible work schedule. Have kids? Don't even think about taking this job. Long hours are common and they happen with little or no warning and frequently (at least a couple times a week). I don't see how someone with children could balance this without having a stay at home spouse or an amazing day care that will keep your kids even when they are sick or keep your kids 3 hours later on last minute notice.
    As others have said, only those in higher positions are treated with respect. A lot of managers don't know what actually occurs in their department. Worse yet, there are managers who don't even know what they are doing.

My department had a very, very high turnover rate. I counted, 66% of people in my department have left in the past few years. The remaining 33% are people that replaced them or people who aren't there by choice because they failed at attempts to get out. What those numbers say to me is that they have had to replace our whole department twice in the last few years. To me, that is a very high turnover rate.

Friendly working environment but cheap

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Senneville, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Senneville, QC (Canada)

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly working environment, good benefits

Cons

No compensations, no bonuses, low base salary

Good place for first job and then go somewhere else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place to get experience right out of school and learn the basics of the industry.

Cons

Progression availabilities are very limited. Very bad management. Poor salary and very high workload.

Invest more on their employees to make sure they are satisfied and want to stay.

Stressful time and profit driven company.

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Shrewsbury, MA
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Shrewsbury, MA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work in a GLP environmemt.

Cons

When the company was closing management kept employees guessing as to who would get the axe next. Very shabby treatment.

Act like your employees are valuable.