Charles River Laboratories

Charles River Laboratories Reviews

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
2.8

Charles River Laboratories Chairman, President, Director and CEO James C. Foster
James C. Foster

Pros
  • They also have good benefits like vacation time (in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn some of the basics of nonclinical testing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between upper management with employees (in 8 reviews)

• Horrible work environment in the internal audit department (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

One Charles River

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Even though Charles River is a global organization, there is a lot of emphasis on team work from site to site. Many of my colleagues that I interact with on a daily basis are all over the world (Canada, Europe, Asia, in the US but outside of Massachusetts) but we still work well as a team and support each other to achieve our goals. As a member of the marketing department, I have the pleasure of working with a variety of different groups within the company including operations, sales and the scientific staff. There is also a lot of room for growth within the company. I have seen a lot of my colleagues grow and move between departments when opportunities arise. The company does a great job of retaining employees.

Cons

It can be difficult at times to find a work life balance as the company expects more from its employees without increasing resources. However, this is not unique to Charles River, but a trend across industries and corporations.

Continue to encourage employees with positive reinforcement when deserved. It can really boost moral and create increaseed productivity.

Charles River Laboratories is Unfair and Unethical

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingston, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kingston, NY

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you can deal with the poor and unfair treatment and bite your tongue, it's a good job with good benefits in a very depressed area of Ulster County, NY.

Cons

On Thursday, October 18, 2012, Charles River had a major layoff. Only to have several of those employees return to work again the following Monday (?). Raises were given all over the plant after the lay-offs and some supervisors were demoted, only to be able to work loads of overtime and get paid even more money than usual working for hours instead of salary. Here we all thought that money was tight and Jim Foster was cutting his budget due to the economy. On top of that, those of us that were let go were told we couldn't bad mouth the company or anyone at the plant by name or our pitilly little severence pay would have to be returned. Sounds a little like blackmail. I believe there are lawyers out there that only practice constiutional law, and they do it for a reason, if you get my drift!!? It wouldn't have been so bad if the lay off was performanced based instead of senority based (which is just completely wrong, unfair and makes no sense). Good workers, hard workers, dependable workers were let go while lousy slacker call outs got to keep their jobs. I only hope this company continues to operate in this fashion and eventually goes belly up or PETA or some form of ANIMAL WELFARE shut it down. Animals are suffering as a result of the type of workers that have remained employed. I've seen it!

Management needs a refresher course in what it's like to work in those rooms following their own SOP's. They could also stand to take a class a business ethics and constiutional freedoms and cruelity to animals.

Good entry level but no growth opportunities.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Over-time was limited so good work balance.

Cons

No professional growth opportunities, inexperienced management, departments don't work well together.

Good company in an unstable industry

Former Employee - Manager in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very structured, provides continuous training and support to employees. Lots of really nice people in the company with long tenure.

Cons

Too many Directors, VPs, so confusing.
    Company is too big, hard to get noticed for the extra efforts
    Not much room for growth if you don't have an an advanced degree

Bring back the old culture that CRL onced had. A lot of good employees left due to change in management especially when the company started laying off people from different business segments.

Management is nothing more than a few high school graduates who've put in their decades with the company.

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Kingston, NY
    Former Employee - Animal Care Technician I in Kingston, NY

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can stick it out (years), you will eventually end up making a good paycheck and they offer good benefits. The women in the front office are very kind and helpful. It was always a pleasure to see and speak with them. There are also a few good supervisors at this company but they are truly few and far between.

Cons

The job is very physical and demanding. Most people at the plant are just horrible to each other and go out of their way to be difficult and hurtful to one another. Most supervisiors look the other way, or, they are the worst offenders of them all when it comes to bad behavior. I've known workers, both men and women, who have been brought to tears because of the Bully in charge. Good work reviews are given to lousy workers because some supervisors are whimps, and in turn that hurts the team (but they don't care). SOP's are ignored and so is the humane treatment of the animals. If you tell anyone about it (which you're supposed to do) it is ignored as well. Charles River Labs is a company that says it will not tolerate harassment of any kind. Yet harassment runs rampant there, starting at the top within management and trickling down to the lowly peons. If management has an issue with you, they will go out of their way to give you a hard time at every bend in the road. The opposite is true if management likes you, well then, you're the golden child. Favoritism runs the show and brown nosing takes a close 2nd.

Put in your resignations and let some real professionals have a chance to run this company the right way. It's time to start at the top and get rid of the dead wood, then work your way down the ladder. That's how you cut your budget Mr. Foster.

Charles River promotes a work-life balance

Current Employee - Director in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Charles River is a large company with a smaller, family-oriented feel. Employees are challenged to do their jobs well and achieve goals - both related to their own personal development and company objectives. We are also given the flexibility and autonomy to manage our own responsbilities and schedules. This helps promote a positive work-life balance, as does one of the company's great benefits - "summer breeze" (half-day Fridays in the summer).

Cons

I suggest bringing your own lunch. There are not many places to eat within a 5-10 minute drive, and the cafeteria could be better.

Stressful time and profit driven company.

Former Employee - Research Specialist in Shrewsbury, MA
    Former Employee - Research Specialist in Shrewsbury, MA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to work in a GLP environmemt.

Cons

When the company was closing management kept employees guessing as to who would get the axe next. Very shabby treatment.

Act like your employees are valuable.

Charles River Labs

Current Employee - Research Technician III in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Research Technician III in Horsham, PA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You learn a lot of techniques and you learn them well

Cons

Lots of OT is available..well forced is more like it. Immature, almost like being back at highschool

Charles River: A fulfilling place to work

Current Employee - Marketing in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Charles River is a great company and employer. The management team has created a good foundation for positive results in our field and in the community. The amount of mentoring and guidance I have received allows me to excel in my personal and professional life. There is so much room for advancement. Charles River employees are provided with a healthy and encouraging work environment that I had not experienced until I started working here.

Charles River also provides a valuable service to the community through our research and development. By working for Charles River you feel like you are contributing towards a greater goal of helping people through curing diseases, even if you are not a scientist in one of our many labs around the world.

I feel that Charles River is a rewarding place to work and would highly recommend employment at Charles River to friends, relatives and colleagues.

Cons

I do not feel that there are cons to working at Charles River. As responsible employees we are encouraged to pave a path towards personal and professional growth.

My advice to the management team would be to continue to help employees strive to be their best. By all of us working towards common goals and objectives we can exceed expectations. I see a bright future for Charles River and appreciate having the chance to contribute towards such a dynamic organization.

Positive experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Charles River Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very encouraging and positive environment. Got to know other employees well and felt team spirit. Immeadiate supervisor appreciated my efforts and treatedly me fairly.

Cons

As long as everything is going great, no worries. But when things started to slide, the team disappeared. Felt abandoned at the end.

Take time to figure why problems are there and work to address them if you value keeping employees.