Charles Schwab Reviews in Arizona

Updated September 4, 2014
3.2

Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II
Walt Bettinger II

Pros
  • It does allow for a good work/life balance which was very important to me (in 72 reviews)

• good benefits especially Sabbath every five years (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth in Indy unless you want to stay in a call center (in 43 reviews)

• There are very few woman and people of color in middle and senior management (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

119 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A complete and utter let down from day 1, and it only got worse. Worst place Ive ever worked.

Former Employee - Registered Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good health insurance
    There are some good/genuine people that work there.

Cons

I had such high hopes going to work here. I really thought it would be a great company to work for. I could not of been more wrong. I worked in their Service Center (Phoenix) for a year and a half.
     If you're Series 7 licensed I recommend AVOIDING this position at all costs.

-It's all about the company. Not the employee. Youre just a robot/monkey here.

-Micro-managing at a level I've never seen. So many stats that you have to try to "adhere" to its unbelievable. Including one that requires you to hang up FIRST from every call you're on 80% of the time. If you're lacking in any stats believe me you will be spoken to. You'll feel like you're 12.

-The most unrealistic and quite frankly ridiculous "coaching" from their people that monitor your phone calls. Some of which have never worked a customer service/phone job in their life.

-Every meeting was about something new you were going to have to start doing, or something they were taking away from you....or something the "team" needed to improve. Never was there anything that the company did for the employee during my time there.

-Misleading interviews and training. You're told one thing, then when you get put on the job, you're suddenly notified that there's a whole other aspect you were never informed of (they call them "opportunities" but for the most part it's about bringing in new assets/sales, which you are not rewarded for as you would be at some other firms. They say it affects your bonus, but that's a whole other story.

-Red tape everywhere. Get a bad score from a client that was undeserved? Don't even think about getting it removed from your record. They'll say it has to go to this manager, then that manager, then get approved. It won't. I saw multiple cases.

-Bonuses: I was told they averaged one amount when I interviewed, and that number seemed to get lower during each conversation I had about it from that point on.

-Don't even think of getting a day off work if that days not available. 0 flexibliity...If you call in sick, or you're running a little late, that's a negative and goes against you.

-Negativity is rife. They will pump you up and be positive all through training. Once you get on the floor you realize most of the people there hate their job and gossip abounds everywhere. They'll tell you how lucky you are that you got hired and that they turn a lot of people away, but the reality is they have a job posting out there almost all the time which should tell you what a revolving door position it is....and they will hire just about anyone.

1. Take care of your employees better. Do things for them. Help make their job easier, not harder and more difficult to do.
    2. Tell your Directors (who literally sit 10 feet away) to go out on the floor and introduce themselves to all the hard working employees. Maybe tell them you appreciate the job they do? Do something for them? Other than a silly email that they copy paste and just say's "Great job!"
    3. How about asking your employees "How can we do better? What would make your job better?"
    4. It never fails to amaze me that big companies can't grasp this simple fact: Take care of your employees, and they will take care of you.
    5. Treat your large staff of SC workers with more respect. Treat them as the professionals you hired them as. Not as slave workers.. You're not exactly paying top dollar, but you sure want hold employees to the highest level of performance. There are other things as important as your trillion dollar goals (which everyone's heard enough about)

Employees are nothing special here

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

They follow industry standard procedures and protocols

Cons

Employees are treated as they they are easily replaceable. The employees are more like sheep. Don't expect move up in ranks.

Good place to work if you can handle a call center environment

Current Employee - Registered Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Emphasis on doing the right thing for the client, so no pressure to push clients into the wrong investments to make quotas or incentives.

Cons

Time away from the phones is minimal, so if that kind of work is manageable for you you'll enjoy it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the same company, now cookie cutter just like rest of the call center financial firms in Phoenix.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Their insatiable appetite to make decisions based on the bottom line and low level managers being low level across the board forced me to find myself and find a much better way.

Cons

Too many to list if you have a soul. Any time spent here will certainly compromise anything positive that you believe in.

Get a clue....bunch of clowns....people are not stupid or stuck. Leveraging poor job market scare tactics to have their way and think they can make all the rules. Stop hiring people to post all the positive comments on Glassdoor. I've been on the inside, I know the truth....it's a joke but only funny in hindsight. Very sad for the many people that I know still there.

Participant Services is an awful department to work in at an otherwise great company.

Current Employee - Participant Services Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Participant Services Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits, overall good company to work for.

Cons

Your overall work experience can vary greatly depending upon which department you work within. Participant Services is a very difficult role to work within because you are valued only as a statistic. This being said, morale is very low and most employees within this department are just looking for a way out.

Stop seeing your employees as a statistic.

It's a great company

Current Employee - Financial Broker  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Broker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great teamwork. You'll get a lot of recognition for a job well done. Very good about work/life balance. They empower you to do what's right for the client.

Cons

Low pay; have be on the phones for a while before you can move into another area. A little bit like a sweatshop.

Unfair and biased toward anybody with a "disability" regardless as to how bs it is

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

it pays more than unemployment.
    it's centrally located
    fair vacation/sick time and managers are flexible if you have an appointment

Cons

If you're a hard worker, you will work twice as hard as the lazy coworkers for the same pay. The compensation isn't worth the stress.

Get your head out of your butts. If 20 coworkers are complaining about one coworker, don't fire the hard working employees and keep the one lazy employee that everybody is complaining about.

CS&S

Current Employee - Broker  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Broker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time

Pros

great place, world class training, great management, great upper level management, positive workplace

Cons

none, it is a great place, especially if new to the business

Its a good place to start you need to advance fast or move on.

Former Employee - Registered Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The base pay is in the 30's. Schwab has good business fundamentals. (They do not mislead the clients in to bad products) fairness for men, women and those in between.
    If you work hard and stay ozzing positivity you will advance. On the sales side you can make 80-120k. about the same for managers. Almost 100% of the employees are great people. They execute operations better than any other brokerage! Very efficient!!!!

Cons

If you have a micro manager the job can be a real un-pleasent grind.
    The new CEO Walt is a real penny pincher. He has fired ( found technicalities to lay off) older employees to hire the younger for the cost savings. In Phoenix the labor board filed a law suit for this. Nothing new for a fortune 500 company. It makes me sad (because I used to Love SCHWAB) that the fairness and ethics only apply to the clients and not the employees.

I feel slighted for the other quality senior people that were downsized than myself. People in their 50-60's that may not recover as well. I would like to see a cost effective way for the front line employees to get a fair share of the profits to where if they put in 10 years or so the could retire or mini-retire. Be owners in the business motivated to take care of clients and the business success.

Cell center sweat shop

Former Employee - Broker  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Broker in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the building is clean and has good location in phoenix

Cons

too many things to list, too much negativity that this post would get deleted, don't even bother. No loyalty to loyal employees.

you guys are going to be screwed in 10-15 years but by then you'll be gone so who cares.

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!