Charles Schwab Reviews in Denver, CO

Updated July 28, 2014

3.1

Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II
Walt Bettinger II

Pros
  • It does allow for a good work/life balance which was very important to me (in 72 reviews)

• good benefits especially Sabbath every five years (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth in Indy unless you want to stay in a call center (in 43 reviews)

• There are very few woman and people of color in middle and senior management (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Former Sr. Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager SPC  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager SPC in Denver, CO

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, co-workers are very talented, and life balance.

Cons

Communication to the feild, the bonus structure, and moving goals.

Keep communicating the vision, mission, and strategy to the field, and be fair with the bonus payout.

I learned a lot but company does not give you the time to help clients properly.

Former Employee - Senior Specialist  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work life balance, people, office culture

Cons

micromanaging, hard to be promoted

be more in tune with your employers

Overall an okay company, but I probably wont be here forever.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent employee services. Seriously, the best I have ever seen. Free access to a Financial Consultant, discounts on trading fees, and a generous Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Honestly, the 401K isn’t bad either. Match up to 5%, good funds to select from, and a discounted managed portfolio for those that want it. Ok pay, ok salary increases (3% in 2014), ok profit sharing bonus.

Large and stable company that you know is going to be around for the long haul.

Cons

Frankly, I have to agree with most of the other comments I am seeing on here. Schwab is a very conservative organization that is slow to change and improve. Seriously, I am still using Windows XP and Office 2003.

I also agree with the comments regarding management. It appears to me that the people promoted to directors and VPs aren’t really the best candidates, but have been the ones that stayed around the longest. Most don’t appear to have any new fresh ideas of how to improve the “client experience.” They also aren’t very realistic on their expectations and timelines they set for the executives. I saw one comment about how managers shield the executives from what is really going on and I could not agree more. I will also add that the directors and VPs that really have fresh new ideas tend to get pushed out fairly quickly. I think a lot of the VPs and even the managing directors really set up some of the employees for failure.

I also completely agree with the negative comments regarding the healthcare benefits. I was very frustrated with this change and it has caused me to look for employment elsewhere. I also completely agree with the feedback regarding the possible advancements.

It definitely appears to me that Schwab has implemented several tactics meant to keep employees even those that might want to leave, which I think leads to some of the negative comments about the workforce. For example, Schwab doesn’t contribute to your 401K regularly it’s only once per year in February. Also, the bonus (really more of a profit sharing bonus) is only paid annually in March. The profit sharing bonus I get, but the 401K contributions really bother me.

I would also like to highlight one of the most confusing elements at Schwab. I completely agree with the comments about Schwab being very client focused. Seriously, they will bend over backwards and even provide client experience gestures (money) to people that complain. However, the directors and VPs just don’t seem to even think about ways to improve the client experience in a practical sense. I could list 20 or so things that as a client just drive me nuts that Schwab could fix really easily, but they don’t.

There is a significant difference between being busy and being productive. All of the directors and VPs I work with appear to be super busy all of the time, but never seem to get anything done.

Also, be realistic about your expectations. Some of the town halls and other presentation I have attend make me think you really expect total loans to just take off by sending out spam emails…really? Is that really realistic?

There is also a significant difference between leaders and managers. Just because someone appears to be really good at their job does not automatically qualify them for management.

Lastly, there is so much more to the "client experience" than how you resolve complaints. Why not make the process just easier for the client from the get go? There are always going to be exceptions and things that just don't work right, but seriously, some of the smallest changes could really make a big improvement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, very cheap.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Schwab has a strong culture and initially attracts good talent with their "anti-broker" culture. The firm focuses on their culture greatly and communication is generally pretty good. Management is experienced, yet very conservative.

Cons

Schwab needs to recognize potential in employees and pay for talent. There is quite a bit of turnover from talented people. Their conservative nature focuses on protecting the brand, sometimes forcing them to look past opportunity.

Try something different. Understand that the market is changing and employees are looking to be a part of something, not a cog in the wheel. I don't see that Schwab has a dedication to understanding how employees get engaged, they merely care about the engagement score.

You are just a cog in a big machine

Current Employee - Senior Staff Technology Solutions  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Technology Solutions in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is stable, honest and treats customers very well. The business side of the house has the customer service aspect of the industry figured out.

Cons

It is a shame employees don't get the same treatment customers do. You are just a cog in a big machine and unless you have your nose up the right rear end your chances of a promotion are non existent. Forget about being promoted based on merit as all advancement is competitive between internal/external candidates. Trying to move to anther role in a different department is a nearly gargantuan task. Most IT jobs being moved to Texas over time. Highly skilled long-term employees leaving and being replaced with lower skilled workers at less pay. Moral is dropping by the day in IT as people in SF being forced out as company shifts jobs to AZ and TX.

Kick out most of the leaders on the technology side and replace them as the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Stop letting the company be run by auditors and grow some balls.

register rep

Former Employee - Registered Representative II  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Registered Representative II in Denver, CO

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

people you work with, met a lot of people

Cons

red alert, micromanaging, always raising goals, not treated as a licensed professional

better pay, look out more for employees, there is a reason people are leaving

Great company, good pay, long hours

Former Employee - Stock Broker  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Stock Broker in Denver, CO

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

~Good pay, training, benefits, opportunity for advancement and movement within the company

Cons

Long hours (10 hour days 4 days a week, which is nice for the 3 day weekend, of course) Difficult customers

Expected more

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work with great people, sabbatical

Cons

Low pay, ridiculous raises, no career growth mostly lateral moves. Management has no backbone, they don't stand or help their staff.

Be fair across the board

Expect Change

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-great people within the Denver area
    -401k, benefits and bonus opp
    -challenging

Cons

-bureaucratic / relationship driven environment
    -constant change: must be adaptable and willing to perform new jobs
    -poor training program

Invest in employees, don't treat them like numbers.

There are worse places to work

Current Employee - Registered Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you need a job and are interested in getting securities licenses, its not a bad place to start. The benefits are okay. The 401k matching is good.

Cons

The micromanagement is taken to extremes. In order to get rated anything other than "meets expectations", you have to walk on water. Management's decisions are so poor, you'll think they are bonused on how many employees they can get to quit each year.

You can make a profit for the shareholders without making life miserable for your employees.

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!