Charles Schwab

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II

Walt Bettinger II

69 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, good pay, long hours

Stock Broker (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

Pros~Good pay, training, benefits, opportunity for advancement and movement within the company

ConsLong hours (10 hour days 4 days a week, which is nice for the 3 day weekend, of course) Difficult customers

Overall an okay company, but I probably wont be here forever.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsExcellent employee services. Seriously, the best I have ever seen. Free access to a Financial Consultant, discounts on trading fees, and a generous Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Honestly, the 401K isn’t bad either. Match up to 5%, good funds to select from, and a discounted managed portfolio for those that want it. Ok pay, ok salary increases (3% in 2014), ok profit sharing bonus.

Large and stable company that you know is going to be around for the long haul.

ConsFrankly, I have to agree with most of the other comments I am seeing on here. Schwab is a very conservative organization that is slow to change and improve. Seriously, I am still using Windows XP and Office 2003.

I also agree with the comments regarding management. It appears to me that the people promoted to directors and VPs aren’t really the best candidates, but have been the ones that stayed around the longest. Most don’t appear to have any new fresh ideas of how to improve the “client experience.” They also aren’t very realistic on their expectations and timelines they set for the executives. I saw one comment about how managers shield the executives from what is really going on and I could not agree more. I will also add that the directors and VPs that really have fresh new ideas tend to get pushed out fairly quickly. I think a lot of the VPs and even the managing directors really set up some of the employees for failure.

I also completely agree with the negative comments regarding the healthcare benefits. I was very frustrated with this change and it has caused me to look for employment elsewhere. I also completely agree with the feedback regarding the possible advancements.

It definitely appears to me that Schwab has implemented several tactics meant to keep employees even those that might want to leave, which I think leads to some of the negative comments about the workforce. For example, Schwab doesn’t contribute to your 401K regularly it’s only once per year in February. Also, the bonus (really more of a profit sharing bonus) is only paid annually in March. The profit sharing bonus I get, but the 401K contributions really bother me.

I would also like to highlight one of the most confusing elements at Schwab. I completely agree with the comments about Schwab being very client focused. Seriously, they will bend over backwards and even provide client experience gestures (money) to people that complain. However, the directors and VPs just don’t seem to even think about ways to improve the client experience in a practical sense. I could list 20 or so things that as a client just drive me nuts that Schwab could fix really easily, but they don’t.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a significant difference between being busy and being productive. All of the directors and VPs I work with appear to be super busy all of the time, but never seem to get anything done.

Also, be realistic about your expectations. Some of the town halls and other presentation I have attend make me think you really expect total loans to just take off by sending out spam emails…really? Is that really realistic?

There is also a significant difference between leaders and managers. Just because someone appears to be really good at their job does not automatically qualify them for management.

Lastly, there is so much more to the "client experience" than how you resolve complaints. Why not make the process just easier for the client from the get go? There are always going to be exceptions and things that just don't work right, but seriously, some of the smallest changes could really make a big improvement.

You are just a cog in a big machine

Senior Staff Technology Solutions (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsCompany is stable, honest and treats customers very well. The business side of the house has the customer service aspect of the industry figured out.

ConsIt is a shame employees don't get the same treatment customers do. You are just a cog in a big machine and unless you have your nose up the right rear end your chances of a promotion are non existent. Forget about being promoted based on merit as all advancement is competitive between internal/external candidates. Trying to move to anther role in a different department is a nearly gargantuan task. Most IT jobs being moved to Texas over time. Highly skilled long-term employees leaving and being replaced with lower skilled workers at less pay. Moral is dropping by the day in IT as people in SF being forced out as company shifts jobs to AZ and TX.

Advice to Senior ManagementKick out most of the leaders on the technology side and replace them as the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Stop letting the company be run by auditors and grow some balls.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

register rep

Registered Representative II (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

Prospeople you work with, met a lot of people

Consred alert, micromanaging, always raising goals, not treated as a licensed professional

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay, look out more for employees, there is a reason people are leaving

Expected more

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsWork with great people, sabbatical

ConsLow pay, ridiculous raises, no career growth mostly lateral moves. Management has no backbone, they don't stand or help their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair across the board

Expect Change

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

Pros-great people within the Denver area
    -401k, benefits and bonus opp
    -challenging

Cons-bureaucratic / relationship driven environment
    -constant change: must be adaptable and willing to perform new jobs
    -poor training program

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees, don't treat them like numbers.

Software Developer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsIt was nice to travel to San Francisco

ConsMost of development is done offshore, outdated technology, long on-call rotations

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

There are worse places to work

Registered Representative (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsIf you need a job and are interested in getting securities licenses, its not a bad place to start. The benefits are okay. The 401k matching is good.

ConsThe micromanagement is taken to extremes. In order to get rated anything other than "meets expectations", you have to walk on water. Management's decisions are so poor, you'll think they are bonused on how many employees they can get to quit each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can make a profit for the shareholders without making life miserable for your employees.

Culture and knowledge

Registered Representative (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsSchwab has a strong culture that rewards and encourages innovation. While engagement differs among teams, on the whole it is evident that Schwab will reward you if you put in the effort.
    Most of management is transparent and willing to share knowledge in order to develop employees.

ConsThere are a lot of lifer employees who are disengaged. This can make it harder to stay positive in the work environment.
    There are bad managers who continue to get promoted.

Above average

Institutional Trading (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat Benefits. Good business model.

ConsOffice politics are a problem, as with any big company.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually pursue employee grievances, not just acknowledge them and file it away.

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charles Schwab reviews and ratings in Denver, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Charles Schwab CEO Walt Bettinger II. All 69 reviews posted anonymously by Charles Schwab employees.