Charles Schwab

Charles Schwab Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II

Walt Bettinger II

Pros:
  • "It does allow for a good work/life balance which was very important to me"
    in 68 reviews
  • "good benefits especially Sabbath every five years"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not much room for growth in Indy unless you want to stay in a call center"
    in 40 reviews
  • "There are very few woman and people of color in middle and senior management"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company and Opportunities

Client Reporting and Security Services (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsValues, Schedules, Pay, Management, Friendly

ConsIntimidating workload and first, but by remaining committed you will get the hang of it.

Great Company

ProsGreat company! Whether as a client or employee, this company treats everyone with respect. The best benefits of any company I have seen especially for a job that hires recent grads. The training is more than just great for the job but also for personal financial knowledge. They are supportive of career goals and are more than willing to assist to get employees to the next level.

ConsI have no cons with this company, This company offers so many different types of jobs, if you do not like one, just put in to move to another within the company,

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good company

Senior Database Developer/Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsCharles Schwab is an excellent company with an impeccable reputation. Despite the very difficult times during the Great Recession (particularly for financial services companies), Charles Schwab has maintained its pristine stature.

Charles Schwab is an important company that provides great service. It can be trusted and will always put its clients above all else.

ConsCharles Schwab has engaged a strategy that involves moving about 1,000 jobs out of the Bay Area. That has impacted morale at its San Francisco location.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Bay Area is probably the best place on Earth for a technologically progressive company of any kind to innovate given the amazing Silicon Valley ecosystem. It is a shame to see Schwab reduce its presence here.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Attitude is Everything

ProsGreat place to work. There are many different routes one could take in their career here. Leadership is more than willing to sit down and share their experiences with you and mentor you. If you are willing to do the footwork to advance your career you'll be happy here.

ConsThere are bad managers at Schwab that contribute to employee disengagement. These managers are throughout the organization.

I worked at Charles Schwab full time.

Anonymous Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people I worked with were very nice people. Charles Schwab is a community oriented company. The hours were standard corporate hours with opportunities for overtime. The training given was also a plus.

ConsInternal politics controlled the office, and it was hard to change things.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoyalty should be rewarded more generously.

Best of the brokerage firms. Great company values.

Investment Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsSchwab offers thorough training that prepares you to perform your duties confidently and professionally. Employees are encouraged/required to get additional certifications. The company is extremely ethical and emphasizes the client's needs.

ConsCompany marketing initiatives and campaigns are constantly changing and rolled out too frequently. The compensation structure is complex and consists of too many variables/inputs. Quarterly targets are often set too high with seemingly little regard for the demographics of the individual branches.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the compensation structure.

Worked there for 7 years

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSalary, benefits, hours, nice people to work with

ConsPolitics, hard to change things, and conservative business

Great company, good pay, long hours

Stock Broker (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

Pros~Good pay, training, benefits, opportunity for advancement and movement within the company

ConsLong hours (10 hour days 4 days a week, which is nice for the 3 day weekend, of course) Difficult customers

Good company for tech and great management

Tech Lead (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsVery good management style, lot to learn, Great Work life balance, Inspiring management, Focus on ethics and customer service.

ConsSlow to move on tech front, Should invest in cutting edge and research, CEO is good.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in cutting edge, More automation needed

Great place to work and spend a lifetime career at!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsWonderful corporate culture, flexible paid time off, mgmt was interested in employee development and advancement.

ConsNONE! This is only a former employee because my husband and I moved to a place where Schwab wasn't. :(

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Open door policies with an emphasis on employee development is what made me love this place.

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charles Schwab reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Charles Schwab CEO Walt Bettinger II. All 802 reviews posted anonymously by Charles Schwab employees.