Charles Schwab Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014

3.1

Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II
Walt Bettinger II

Pros
  • It does allow for a good work/life balance which was very important to me (in 72 reviews)

• good benefits especially Sabbath every five years (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth in Indy unless you want to stay in a call center (in 43 reviews)

• There are very few woman and people of color in middle and senior management (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Technical Support

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Schwab treats their employees very well, providing many different opportunities to move with in the company. People are very nice and easy to mingle in between the different departments.

Cons

Because so many employees love working for Schwab it does take a little time for movement with in the company. Due to advancement being slow paced it is easy to become comfortable and complacent.

Continue to provide opportunities for advancement for employees.

Great Company and Opportunities

Current Employee - Client Reporting and Security Services  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Client Reporting and Security Services in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Values, Schedules, Pay, Management, Friendly

Cons

Intimidating workload and first, but by remaining committed you will get the hang of it.

Worst company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

thee are no pros, worst company with a very low work morale and balance.

Cons

People are narrow minded, a lot of politics (politically correct - which means shut up and do nothing); executive team are hypocrites. salaries are on the lowest end. Do not work for this company, you are never going to be appreciated there.

think about your people first

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall an okay company, but I probably wont be here forever.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent employee services. Seriously, the best I have ever seen. Free access to a Financial Consultant, discounts on trading fees, and a generous Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Honestly, the 401K isn’t bad either. Match up to 5%, good funds to select from, and a discounted managed portfolio for those that want it. Ok pay, ok salary increases (3% in 2014), ok profit sharing bonus.

Large and stable company that you know is going to be around for the long haul.

Cons

Frankly, I have to agree with most of the other comments I am seeing on here. Schwab is a very conservative organization that is slow to change and improve. Seriously, I am still using Windows XP and Office 2003.

I also agree with the comments regarding management. It appears to me that the people promoted to directors and VPs aren’t really the best candidates, but have been the ones that stayed around the longest. Most don’t appear to have any new fresh ideas of how to improve the “client experience.” They also aren’t very realistic on their expectations and timelines they set for the executives. I saw one comment about how managers shield the executives from what is really going on and I could not agree more. I will also add that the directors and VPs that really have fresh new ideas tend to get pushed out fairly quickly. I think a lot of the VPs and even the managing directors really set up some of the employees for failure.

I also completely agree with the negative comments regarding the healthcare benefits. I was very frustrated with this change and it has caused me to look for employment elsewhere. I also completely agree with the feedback regarding the possible advancements.

It definitely appears to me that Schwab has implemented several tactics meant to keep employees even those that might want to leave, which I think leads to some of the negative comments about the workforce. For example, Schwab doesn’t contribute to your 401K regularly it’s only once per year in February. Also, the bonus (really more of a profit sharing bonus) is only paid annually in March. The profit sharing bonus I get, but the 401K contributions really bother me.

I would also like to highlight one of the most confusing elements at Schwab. I completely agree with the comments about Schwab being very client focused. Seriously, they will bend over backwards and even provide client experience gestures (money) to people that complain. However, the directors and VPs just don’t seem to even think about ways to improve the client experience in a practical sense. I could list 20 or so things that as a client just drive me nuts that Schwab could fix really easily, but they don’t.

There is a significant difference between being busy and being productive. All of the directors and VPs I work with appear to be super busy all of the time, but never seem to get anything done.

Also, be realistic about your expectations. Some of the town halls and other presentation I have attend make me think you really expect total loans to just take off by sending out spam emails…really? Is that really realistic?

There is also a significant difference between leaders and managers. Just because someone appears to be really good at their job does not automatically qualify them for management.

Lastly, there is so much more to the "client experience" than how you resolve complaints. Why not make the process just easier for the client from the get go? There are always going to be exceptions and things that just don't work right, but seriously, some of the smallest changes could really make a big improvement.

Call Center Sweat Shop

Former Employee - Registered Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

they pay you money, under cover parking, they have benefits (but their not good), you learn a lot of what not to do when it comes to investing, colleagues are nice.

Cons

you take call after call after call of abuse from customers, you see a lot of upper management moving around but not the people that actually work hard taking calls from clients.

promote from within, they are your loyal employee. stop promoting from competitors.

NOT GOOD for the seasoned Financial Advisor

Current Employee - Vice President Financial Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a book of business, no "cold calling."
    You might be able to take a sabbatical after 5 years, but it all comes down to whether you are the manager's favorite or not.
    Support from the operations center in Phoenix and Austin are great.

Cons

Low base salary of $40,000 and if you get pegged into a lower level (levels 1 or 2 vs 3 or 4), you will work just as hard as your peers for less.
    Trying to pass Schwab off as "wealth managers" when they lack a private bank, local teams of advisors/support, the ability to show the true capabilities of the Private Client advisory offer
    Management plays favorites in structuring your "level" for compensation and will cut you out of leads and opportunities to grow. Very petty and childish atmosphere.
    Unqualified to barely-qualified "Financial Consultants" and operations personnel

Pay a better salary if you are going to expect your Financial Consultants to be actual Wealth Managers
    Provide the proper tools to do the job
    Add private bank or trust services if you really want to attract ultra high net worth clients
    Quit relying on phone-based teams to handle new clients that are eligible for a branch relationship -- wealthy clients want a team of professionals nearby with whom they can meet and have all their paperwork handled locally, not back and forth over the phone until it gets so messed up they walk into a branch ticked off.

Great company, very cheap.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Schwab has a strong culture and initially attracts good talent with their "anti-broker" culture. The firm focuses on their culture greatly and communication is generally pretty good. Management is experienced, yet very conservative.

Cons

Schwab needs to recognize potential in employees and pay for talent. There is quite a bit of turnover from talented people. Their conservative nature focuses on protecting the brand, sometimes forcing them to look past opportunity.

Try something different. Understand that the market is changing and employees are looking to be a part of something, not a cog in the wheel. I don't see that Schwab has a dedication to understanding how employees get engaged, they merely care about the engagement score.

A changing company

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great products for clients and a solid, ethical client focus.

Cons

Little room for creativity and innovation; institutionalized processes; frequent re-organizations. Lots of managing up required, limiting potential of good managers and lessening the focus of managers on their teams. Not a lot of room for diversity of style.

Continuous re-orgs and lay-offs instill fear-based and conservative culture that limits innovation and forward-thinking.

PC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Charles Schwab full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This was a great place to work sometime ago. As an employee you knew you cared for. Those days are long gone and they are not coming back.

Cons

The only way to get promoted is to put your nose up managements back side. Managers only want to hear how good they are. Never the truth. There is no training for managers, so maybe it is not their fault they are so bad at their job. They work in fear of their positions like everyone else does. Pay is not good, and getting worse. They change the pay and what it takes to get a good bonus every year. Morale is very bad.

Why are we still using windows XP. I can not get to some of the companies own web sites! Train managers how to do their job.

I'm sure there are worse jobs... I haven't had one.

Former Employee - Operations Associate  in  Maitland, FL
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Maitland, FL

I worked at Charles Schwab full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part of this job is it is a true 9-5. You leave it at home after you pass your Series 7. You work a 40 hour workweek for $50k (which is technically more then working 100 hours for $100k). Positive phone training. Decent pay and benefits. Good place to work if you fit in the box they create.

Cons

The culture is not very receptive to upward mobility (albeit the few advancement opportunities are hired within). However, management wants you to "stay in your place" as they have an economic motivation to keep you put (since it's a hard and expensive job to learn with little growth potential). All the while, they are blatantly outsourcing your job function to India. In other words, your loyalty in the form of complacency is not rewarded with loyalty in the form of job security. Worse, they don't develop you for any jobs outside of Schwab.. Poor Management, Poor Office Culture, Lack of Mobility.

Treat your employees better, CEO didn't visit office one time during my stay, Neither did the spokesperson Charles Schwab... highest management level to visit was a VP (so maybe advice would be manage?)...

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!