Charles Schwab

www.schwab.com

Charles Schwab Reviews in San Jose, CA

Charles Schwab President and Chief Executive Officer Walt Bettinger II

Walt Bettinger II

Pros
  • It does allow for a good work/life balance which was very important to me(in 71 reviews)

• good benefits especially Sabbath every five years(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth in Indy unless you want to stay in a call center(in 42 reviews)

• There are very few woman and people of color in middle and senior management(in 23 reviews)

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Just Ok

Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCompany that you are proud to work for.

ConsNot a lot of career choices in the branches.

Advice to Senior ManagementLay off all the high pressure sales enviroment. Go back to the old Schwab.

Vice President-Financial Consultant

Vice President, Financial Consultant (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsEthical financial guidance;
    Reasonable/affordable product pricing;
    Transparency of fees;
    Great brand name;
    Work/life balance;
    Supportive and collaborative work environment;
    Diverse employee base;
    Embracement of new technologies;
    Good benefits;
    Time to volunteer of 8 hours per year;

ConsFew career advancement opportunities or options except growing own practice;
    Employee base is diverse, but management is not;
    Overly cumbersome paperwork and procedures, especially on advice products;
    Frequent changes in executive level leadership result in inconsistent policies;
    Opinions of top producers count, but not the others;
    Favoritism hurts morale;
    Quarterly resets burn out even the best calibers;
    Termination after 2-4 quarters of bottom 20% sales: Financial Consultants are treated like disposables within the company while trying to convince clients they are experienced and trusted advisors and will be there for clients for a long time;

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would like clients to believe they are dealing with a trusted advisory service provider firm, you need to respect and empower your front-line Financial Consultants, especially those with 10+ years of experiences, and allow for bottom-up feedback and participation instead of only top-down dumping of compensation/advice/product policy changes, campaigns and quotas.

Newer hire review

Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI chose Charles Schwab because I was looking for a more recognized company name than my previous employer to help build out my resume. The base salary is about $10K more than what I'd been offered at other companies which was also a plus. Office is relatively laid back and everyone helps each other out when they need it. Management at my branch is great but obviously this can vary between offices. Benefits are comparable to other companies.... medical, dental, vision, 401K with matching, disability, life insurance, etc. are offered. You can choose which you'd like to take part in. You pay for these out of your base salary, so keep this in mind when you are offered your base salary. You can figure your base salary will be about $1200 less once these are deducted assuming you sign up for medical, dental, disability, and vision. 401K is obviously at your discretion. You have choices between the companies you use as well for medical, which I think is nice. Company offers yearly bonuses as well but would depend on your position. Overall, I am satisfied with Schwab.

ConsIt will depend on where you work at Schwab, but one thing I don't really like is that the advice you'll get from a Schwab "financial consultant" will most likely not be as comprehensive as it would be at a more privatized firm, but what do you expect from a discount brokerage firm? So I don't know if this is really a downside or just a personal opinion that I have. But for example, if I was going out to look for comprehensive financial planning, I would not choose Charles Schwab. I've also noticed that being in a branch office and working at the front desk, a lot of customers seem to believe that I am basically a receptionist even though I am licensed exactly the same as a financial consultant/advisor and often speak down to me ... which is a little irritating.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far, no complaints.

Worked for Charles Schwab? Contribute to the Community!