Charles Tyrwhitt

Good Place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Charles Tyrwhitt

Pros

It is a solid company that treats their employees well. They offer a great discount for employees. The hours are good and you are home by no later then 9 most nights, which is great for NYC.

Cons

Since it is a mens wear company the women's uniform choice is very limited. But a very minor complaint since they give you the uniform for free.

My only comment would be the lack of presence on the sales floor.

suck

I have been working at Charles Tyrwhitt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

75% off discount thats it

Cons

everything else, management, customers extremely rude

Great people, but suffers from lack of benefits (especially fake employee discount) and stagnation.

I have been working at Charles Tyrwhitt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are really great. The upper management based in the U.K. are very friendly. On their visits, they will have a conversation with even the lowest employee. Even the district manager takes the time out to speak to us individually with the door closed which is actually very refreshing.

Cons

Low pay, no commissions on sales, no overtime. Discount for employees is the same actually less than the customers! So essentially, there is no discount at all. P.O.S. is rather glitchy, no advancement opportunities, lack of proper training, we have to lie to customers about where the products are actually made, low quality merchandise sold at a massive markup, delay in corporate decisions because they are all made in the U.K. U.S. warehouse is a mess. Taking customer details to spam them claiming that we are doing it purely to make returns easier.

We have none of the benefits that our U.K. counterparts have. We are working full time hours, and yet they refuse to classify us as full-time employers. Instead they opt to claim that we are part-time employees so they can deny us benefits. With a descent salary and benefits, you could have a very dedicated staff, but constantly trying to deny us benefits and a descent wage despite making massive profits speaks to just how highly they value loyalty.

terrible

I have been working at Charles Tyrwhitt full-time

Pros

pay, co workers, schedule, free uniform

Cons

fake senior management in London, favoritism from store managers

Great at first

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Charles Tyrwhitt full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount for employees is faked out by the dicount on regular price which the clothing is always on sale and NEVER regular price but it is 75% off the regular price..

Cons

The district manager is high on herself and very sneaky.. Likes micromanaging... She smiles then writes you up.... Very stuffy company... She is the only upper management in the US.

Do not be to friendly and personable. Go in do your job and go home. Do not make small talk it will bite you later.

Really fun company to work for

I have been working at Charles Tyrwhitt

Pros

Growth, opportunities for advancement, passion for product and customer

Cons

If you do not want to work in a fast paced environment then this is not the company for you

Poor management and backstabbers

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Charles Tyrwhitt

Pros

a FEW good honest people in the customer service dept. Nice location

Cons

Management have no clue on how to motivate staff. They all talk behind your back and are not supportive at all. Incentives are so poor. If u do well u can choose a sweet...yes a sweet from a treasure chest. Like last review there is a hire and fire culture and they care more about customers than staff. If you go for a job here or work here already leave before u get sacked for no good reason or use them as a springboard and leave within 6 months

Show that u care about your staff. Have proper incentives. And stop being so up yourselves. stop shouting at staff to pickup calls when theyr already on calls. Disgusting. Stop unrealistic targets.youv lost alot of good people and hired duds. No chance this companys customer service will succeed.

Avoid.

I worked at Charles Tyrwhitt

Pros

Few.
    New head office in London Bridge.
    Fruit Day.
    You can still find some nice colleagues among a bunch of snakes.

Cons

Before I started somebody warned me: that place is sinister. I now know what that means. Management is absolutely clueless. No clear vision. People at top level with top salaries who would not be able to run an ice cream van. HR is absolutely helpless and not supportive at all. Hire and Fire culture. Company has values, but nobody seems to follow them in reality.
    Disorganised, plenty of narcissist types. If they don't like you, you're out.
    No clear instructions, not had an appraisal in 18 months...
    Back stabbing happening on daily basis.
    Desperate people who would do anything to get to the top.
    Talking behind your back happening at all times.
    Fake staff discount.
    Fake customers 50% discount.
    Bullying environment.

You worry more about customers feedback on FEEFO, than your employees comments. Your business will not succeed if your staff is unhappy and constantly leaving.

Sinister.

Current Employee - CSA in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSA in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Charles Tyrwhitt full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location.
    Good staff areas / facilitiies.
    Very pleasant housekeeper.
    Salary is reasonable.
    Many nice colleagues.
    Customers tend to be pleasant to deal with.

Cons

Unreasonable and unrealistic expectations re: workload.
    Computer systems / procedures that are illogical and not user friendly.
    Internally cutthroat. Have a constant stream of hiring and firing.
    A stuffy and highbrow culture, pretending to be something they are not.
    Cheap products largely made in China / Philippines / Turkey / Peru etc touted under an air of Britishness.
    An overly pedantic approach to quality monitoring of customer service agents' work.
    Work is repetitive and mind numbingly tedious.
    Favouritism. Culture of faces fitting / not fitting. A high regard for the most servile and ingratiating so long as they have a high productivity level and present themselves in a certain way.
    Some wolves in sheeps' clothing.
    The owner touts an email address that purports to be "for him only." He does not read it - ordinary agents are allocated the task of responding to those emails.
    A grip of iron held over written communications, with agents not given credit for having the intelligence to be able to compose an email.
    No windows in a small, cramped call centre.

Take another look at your so-called "standards" and ask yourself if they really count for anything.

good company with good wages

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, England (UK)

I worked at Charles Tyrwhitt part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great pay for a call center
    gives plenty of starting and continuous training and monitoring
    helpful and mainly friendly colleagues
    speak to a wide range of people overseas who love an English accent

Cons

can get repetitive with taking orders - but fine if your into that kind of thing
    didnt notice high scopes for progression
    telephone tone training can be a bit strenuous and unnecessary in my opinion.

encourage call center staff to take ownership of business with perhaps some more incentives