Charles Tyrwhitt

Updated Apr 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good Place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt is a solid company that treats their employees well. They offer a great discount for employees. The hours are good and you are home by no later then 9 most nights, which is great for NYC.

ConsSince it is a mens wear company the women's uniform choice is very limited. But a very minor complaint since they give you the uniform for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only comment would be the lack of presence on the sales floor.

Great people, but suffers from lack of benefits (especially fake employee discount) and stagnation.

ProsThe people I work with are really great. The upper management based in the U.K. are very friendly. On their visits, they will have a conversation with even the lowest employee. Even the district manager takes the time out to speak to us individually with the door closed which is actually very refreshing.

ConsLow pay, no commissions on sales, no overtime. Discount for employees is the same actually less than the customers! So essentially, there is no discount at all. P.O.S. is rather glitchy, no advancement opportunities, lack of proper training, we have to lie to customers about where the products are actually made, low quality merchandise sold at a massive markup, delay in corporate decisions because they are all made in the U.K. U.S. warehouse is a mess. Taking customer details to spam them claiming that we are doing it purely to make returns easier.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have none of the benefits that our U.K. counterparts have. We are working full time hours, and yet they refuse to classify us as full-time employers. Instead they opt to claim that we are part-time employees so they can deny us benefits. With a descent salary and benefits, you could have a very dedicated staff, but constantly trying to deny us benefits and a descent wage despite making massive profits speaks to just how highly they value loyalty.

terrible

Prospay, co workers, schedule, free uniform

Consfake senior management in London, favoritism from store managers

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great at first

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDiscount for employees is faked out by the dicount on regular price which the clothing is always on sale and NEVER regular price but it is 75% off the regular price..

ConsThe district manager is high on herself and very sneaky.. Likes micromanaging... She smiles then writes you up.... Very stuffy company... She is the only upper management in the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be to friendly and personable. Go in do your job and go home. Do not make small talk it will bite you later.

Sinister.

CSA (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood location.
    Good staff areas / facilitiies.
    Very pleasant housekeeper.
    Salary is reasonable.
    Many nice colleagues.
    Customers tend to be pleasant to deal with.

ConsUnreasonable and unrealistic expectations re: workload.
    Computer systems / procedures that are illogical and not user friendly.
    Internally cutthroat. Have a constant stream of hiring and firing.
    A stuffy and highbrow culture, pretending to be something they are not.
    Cheap products largely made in China / Philippines / Turkey / Peru etc touted under an air of Britishness.
    An overly pedantic approach to quality monitoring of customer service agents' work.
    Work is repetitive and mind numbingly tedious.
    Favouritism. Culture of faces fitting / not fitting. A high regard for the most servile and ingratiating so long as they have a high productivity level and present themselves in a certain way.
    Some wolves in sheeps' clothing.
    The owner touts an email address that purports to be "for him only." He does not read it - ordinary agents are allocated the task of responding to those emails.
    A grip of iron held over written communications, with agents not given credit for having the intelligence to be able to compose an email.
    No windows in a small, cramped call centre.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake another look at your so-called "standards" and ask yourself if they really count for anything.

good company with good wages

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosgreat pay for a call center
    gives plenty of starting and continuous training and monitoring
    helpful and mainly friendly colleagues
    speak to a wide range of people overseas who love an English accent

Conscan get repetitive with taking orders - but fine if your into that kind of thing
    didnt notice high scopes for progression
    telephone tone training can be a bit strenuous and unnecessary in my opinion.

Advice to Senior Managementencourage call center staff to take ownership of business with perhaps some more incentives

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood employee discount, flexible schedule

ConsLow pay and high expectations, very expensive health benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementChange pay structure for sales assistants

Worked for Charles Tyrwhitt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charles Tyrwhitt reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Charles Tyrwhitt employees.