Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison

Heath Morrison

Pros
  • CMS seems to really be active in restructuring the school district to really change outcomes for students(in 5 reviews)

• You can make a difference in your student's lives(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, challenging students, pressure for high test scores(in 5 reviews)

• They do not give you any recognition or any type of incentive for higher learning although its a school system(in 3 reviews)

Grateful for a job, but too many politics involved

ProsIn my current position, the flexibility is great. You get a chance to come in contact with some great people.

ConsThey do not give you any recognition or any type of incentive for higher learning although its a school system.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all the surveys and really make the changes that need to be made to boost morale.

Teacher (Middle School)

Teacher (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsBetter Pay than you would find in other county districts. They are on the cutting edge of several teaching techniques that are effective.

ConsLack of Admin Support, Students Out of Control and the stress level is very high. The New Evaluation is CRAP. It's just something in place they don't follow. Been there longer- in better shape than those that are new

You are the public's enemy and slave at the same time

Teacher (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsJune, July, and August as well as frequent days off throughout the year; The benefit of knowing misery loves company; Employee discounts;

ConsCompensation (no true raise since 2008); Expensive benefits ($70 copays for state workers - I'll pass); Company values; Long hours (630am - 630pm); Apathetic students; Top heavy structure; Teachers receive the blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong; Currently teachers in Masters' degree programs will no longer receive raises - so now they have ALL that debt and no way to pay it pay. Please, NC keep up the good work!

Advice to Senior ManagementThings have improved with Heath Morrison but we are a diploma mill. Students graduate with a diploma that no longer represents the acquisition and mastery of knowledge but rather an attendance record of seat time. I'm going to have to move somewhere with stricter academic requirements for students because America, we are screwed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Soul-crushing!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsDecent hours. Flexible with family situations if management likes you. New management is in place, for now, improving morale.

ConsThe compensation system is a joke. No merit raises. You can get a time-in-position bump, but only when the budget allows. Inter-departmental politics kept projects in limbo.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the compensation system so good people can be rewarded and talented candidates can be hired.

I enjoy working with the kids in the Afterschool program each day.

Assistant ASEP- Substitute (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe Pros are learning from other associates, teachers, and students in the school.

ConsThe Cons are taking classes and only working 15 hours a week, which we are not given money for mileage.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to check everyone's credentials and make sure you do not put them in a work or job setting.

Good Experience - Left the school System to care for ailing mother.

Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsTo be able to share my knowledge with and hope I made a positive impact of the lives of the students.

ConsWished I could have devoted more time to each student.

Advice to Senior ManagementHard working and dedicated teachers and they should be making much more than they are making.

Substitute Teacher

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsFlexible work days and hours

ConsOn call, may get called the morning of or a weeks out.

A challenging experience staffed with excellent administrators and staff

Special Ed Teacher (Former Employee) Huntersville, NC

ProsThe Principal is a motivational, inspiring leader

ConsThe students bully other students and all staff

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelopment appropriate ways to handle student behaviors

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Poorly run school system that is hurting our community

ProsStudents and staff were wonderful

Cons-Too many meetings-before school, during planning period and after school-leaving no time to adequately plan
    -School district is too big to succeed-each "zone" has individual needs
    -No reward system in place for teachers to want to succeed-I was a coach, involved in extra-curriculars, had great test scores (the best 4) years in a row and our pay was cut and we were expected to do more, more more

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your teachers positive feedback everyone and a while

Great urban school district!

ProsThere were many talented leaders who were genuinely committed to students. The community seemed to be very engaged and concerned about education.

ConsThe turnover was fairly high.

Worked for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools? Contribute to the Community!