Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Updated October 9, 2014
2.8

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison
Heath Morrison

Pros
  • CMS seems to really be active in restructuring the school district to really change outcomes for students (in 5 reviews)

• You can make a difference in your student's lives (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, challenging students, pressure for high test scores (in 5 reviews)

• Teachers who resist such unethical practices are harassed by other (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, enjoyed working I ASEP program.

Former Employee - ASEP Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - ASEP Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great managers, HR and co-workers, plenty of advancement.

Cons

They definitely do not like you not taking your on time breaks and no working overtime.

plenty of growth there.

It's a great place to work if you don't have anything else going on in your life.

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time

Pros

There are wonderful teachers, administration, staff members and some of the students at my school. Six weeks off in the summer is nice.

Cons

CMS requires too many administrative duties. Pay is horrible especially when you figure all the time at home working on lesson plans and grades. If I divided my pay per hours spent, I would be much better off working in a job that pays more than $13/hour and it would be less stressful. Teachers don't get as many days off as most people think.

It has been a positive learning experience

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The flexibility to handle personal and professional life situations. The teamwork dedication

Cons

Salary, career advancement for Admins

Listen to staff and community more...realize & recognize that staff is the community. Be consistent across all departments and accountable for errors in judgment....transparency to employees would encourage more trust

Education for everyone!

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Secretary in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Secretary in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to bring a sense of value to the students. Teach them there is more to life, to reach for the stars! That is very gratifying to see!

Cons

Not enough accountability. More team building and unity!

Higher salaries.

I enjoyed working at Charlotte Mecklenburg School.

Current Employee - Lunchroom Monitor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Lunchroom Monitor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the children.

Cons

There was not enough assistance with the position.

Management was great to work with.

Unequal school system

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the students. From elementary to high school. They made up for the low substitute pay and poor administration at some of the schools.

Cons

Poor administration at some of the schools. Some teachers turned their noses up and refused to help answer questions. No school order at most of the high schools. Chaos.

Hire administrators with back bones that are not afraid of the students. Don't be afraid to discipline and remove disruptive students. Some children do come to learn.

Challenging, Straining.

Current Employee - Cafeteria Worker in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cafeteria Worker in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Children, Different choices of school, teamwork.

Cons

Managers, supervisors, changing in the program at last minutes, sever under paid.

Compensate your employees that give you that 100% of work. A kind word goes a long way.

More Concerned with Appearances than with Reality

Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good people in the district--teachers, administrators, and support staff--who are passionate, supportive, and innovative. Working alongside these people encourages professional growth and enthusiasm for helping students.

Cons

The principals and many of the assistant principals I worked with are more concerned about making their school look good than actually taking steps to make it be good. For example, much emphasis is put on decorating classrooms and displaying student achievement data so visitors will be impressed with what they see. Teachers are pressured to inflate grades and "retest" students by essentially giving them the answers to provide the illusion of growth. Teachers who resist such unethical practices are harassed by other teachers and by administrators at their schools. Human resources staff exist to protect the district's image, not the rights of teachers, and they make a sham of providing support when called upon by teachers in conflict with the administration at their schools.

Stop focusing on appearances and instead focus on taking the necessary steps, however difficult, to improve schools at a grassroots level. It's more important to address serious issues such as illiteracy, drug abuse, transience, student advocacy, and employee rights than trying to hide the fact that your school district has these issues.

barely fair

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have very few behavior problems. Children are mostly from a 2 parent, middle class, suburbs home. The majority of parents are supportive and want their children to succeed.

Cons

We have helicopter parents and over-parented children. Teachers have too many meetings and very little freedom to plan schedules.

Allow us to set up our own team meetings. Use e-mail. Use shared google docs. Have parents watch kids during recess.

Not Very Fair

Current Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

Pros

I love interacting and teaching young people.

Cons

Low standards for the students...lowest grade student can get is 50 even if he does not turn in assignment