Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Updated December 22, 2014
2.7

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison
Heath Morrison

Pros
  • CMS seems to really be active in restructuring the school district to really change outcomes for students (in 5 reviews)

• You can make a difference in your student's lives (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, challenging students, pressure for high test scores (in 5 reviews)

• They do not give you any recognition or any type of incentive for higher learning although its a school system (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to build grow with.

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Pros

Very professional co workers, great benefits.

Cons

I wish parents participated with children more often.

"Just a job..."

Former Employee - Transportation in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Transportation in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Pros

You are working for a government entity.

Cons

Extremely "relaxed" employees that rarely work more than they play.
    Management turns a blind eye due to racism and ability to gain back employment even after being fired.
    Pay is below average for virtually all positions.
    Employees have no initiative to improve tasks, relationships, etc.
    If you are not African-American you can forget this being anything other than a temporary paycheck.
    Cliques with management get 2 hours lunches, regular employees get 30 mins.
    Uncomfortable conversations that include endless racist discussions along with abuse of welfare funds are daily.
    I am sure the Superintendent left once he figured out these issues are impossible to fix.

Have the gusto to approach and penalize workers who purposely break the handbook rules. When you have management that constantly makes questionable and downright illegal decisions take the appropriate action. Look for and promote employees that are willing to work hard (or at least as needed) and give them options to improve their work environment. Management is generally nonexistent and money is wasted at an alarming rate.

Salary is better than most but conditions are worse

Current Employee - Secondary Teacher
    Current Employee - Secondary Teacher

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is higher than surrounding areas and you can gain valuable experience with a diverse student population. There are also many opportunities to supplement your income with after extracurricular and credit recovery programs.

Cons

Many of the challenges with CMS are the same you face anywhere else, the difference is the amount of support you receive from administration. There is a lack of disciplinary enforcement which makes classroom instruction more difficult. There is a cult of fear surrounding suspension of problem students. Apathy among teachers is growing and students are increasingly difficult to instruct. Due to the vast credit recovery efforts students expect to pass simply because they show up. Student accountability is decreasing at a rapid rate and it is being promoted by district policies.

Enforce policies. Maintain consistent policies. Increase student accountability. Allow teachers to teach and remove problem students from classroom.s

Love the students. High level admin and board does not understand needs of schools.

Current Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Students, diversity, pay compared to other parts of NC and SC.

Cons

Administration. They have unrealistic expectations for paperwork and outside of teaching duties.

Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Pineville, NC
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Pineville, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Highest district supplement
    Great collaborating teachers
    I cannot think of much else. Many people are not happy. Really depends on the school and principal but no matter where you are, your pay will stay the same and the pressure and responsibilities will increase.

Cons

No balance.
    Way too many responsibilities
    Work load is out of control especially for the pay
    Leaders change constantly
    The kids are not well disciplined
    Teachers are not recognized for the thousands of jobs they are responsible for.

Get it together. Other districts have happy employees, there must be a way to do it.

Not good!

Current Employee - Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I truly cannot think of any.

Cons

Every department, from HR to Payroll is highly unorganized.

Treat people as if they are human, look for the good. Don't just pick the same people tp be "part of a group." Learn to embrace everyone, no matter the ethnicity.

First Grade Teacher

I have been working at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Pros

Largest supplement in the state

Cons

Testing, managed like a large corporation, not a school system.

Keep fighting hard for our teachers, don't fight from within!

Great company, enjoyed working I ASEP program.

Former Employee - ASEP Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - ASEP Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great managers, HR and co-workers, plenty of advancement.

Cons

They definitely do not like you not taking your on time breaks and no working overtime.

plenty of growth there.

It's a great place to work if you don't have anything else going on in your life.

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time

Pros

There are wonderful teachers, administration, staff members and some of the students at my school. Six weeks off in the summer is nice.

Cons

CMS requires too many administrative duties. Pay is horrible especially when you figure all the time at home working on lesson plans and grades. If I divided my pay per hours spent, I would be much better off working in a job that pays more than $13/hour and it would be less stressful. Teachers don't get as many days off as most people think.

More Concerned with Appearances than with Reality

Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Secondary Teacher in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good people in the district--teachers, administrators, and support staff--who are passionate, supportive, and innovative. Working alongside these people encourages professional growth and enthusiasm for helping students.

Cons

The principals and many of the assistant principals I worked with are more concerned about making their school look good than actually taking steps to make it be good. For example, much emphasis is put on decorating classrooms and displaying student achievement data so visitors will be impressed with what they see. Teachers are pressured to inflate grades and "retest" students by essentially giving them the answers to provide the illusion of growth. Teachers who resist such unethical practices are harassed by other teachers and by administrators at their schools. Human resources staff exist to protect the district's image, not the rights of teachers, and they make a sham of providing support when called upon by teachers in conflict with the administration at their schools.

Stop focusing on appearances and instead focus on taking the necessary steps, however difficult, to improve schools at a grassroots level. It's more important to address serious issues such as illiteracy, drug abuse, transience, student advocacy, and employee rights than trying to hide the fact that your school district has these issues.