Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Superintendent Heath Morrison

Heath Morrison

Pros
  • CMS seems to really be active in restructuring the school district to really change outcomes for students (in 5 reviews)

• You can make a difference in your student's lives (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, challenging students, pressure for high test scores (in 5 reviews)

• They do not give you any recognition or any type of incentive for higher learning although its a school system (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Bus Driver

Bus Driver (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsWas able to enjoy time with my children having the same schedule as they did. Great job for parents while kids are still school age.

ConsA lot of responsibility to place on one person. Too many people to keep happy with no support from school principals, most were indifferent.

Decent place to work to start your career

ProsFlexible schedule (in positions outside of school); various career opportunities within the school district

ConsNot may opportunities for professional development for non-instructional employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more professional development opportunities; continue to offer surveys to hear concerns and suggestions from employees;

If you are not in the administration circle, then administration will be breathing down your back at all times.

Teacher (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe pay, benefits, and retirement was the best thing about this company.

ConsTeachers getting cut after 4 years of employment and having to struggle to find employment elsewhere.Also, getting paid only 10 months is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and don't treat professionals like children. They went to school to learn their craft.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissatisfied

ProsThe hard working teachers and having the summer off (without pay).

ConsThe discipline problems and the class sizes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to the teachers.

Middle School Teacher

Middle Grades Science Teacher (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsJob openings are plentiful. Most people who enter the teaching field find that working with students rewarding, so this is a pro.

ConsNo discipline in CMS schools. There is never any chances of promotion unless one moves to a facilitator or other position. No increased pay for masters level. Heavy workload, long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your teachers. Advocate for pay raises.

Salary has been frozen for 4 years, but work requirements have steadily increased.

Teacher (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe city of Charlotte is great and growing.

ConsThere are a lot of high needs students, but there is no clear plan to meet them where they are. As a result, teachers are blamed for low student performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome with a plan!

Nice place to work

Tutor (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsIt was nice to work at a school, very happy with the experience

ConsSomewhat unorganized by other than that it was fine

The minimal pay coupled with excessive demand keeps moral low.

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsYou meet some nice people, nice families, and sweet children. Some of them you can establish lifetime connections with.

ConsThere are challenging administration teams, petty and catty colleagues, and challenging families and kids. Not to mention long hours and lots of ridiculous requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually follow the advice from surveys instead of sending them, and telling the public that you have teacher input

Teacher

ProsGiving Back To The Community

ConsUnder Paid For All The Responsibilities

Advice to Senior ManagementGive Teachers Pay Raises

It's a toxic place that values its equipment and leadership more then employees or children.

Educator (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsIf you want to live in Charlotte, it's an option and and opportunity. There are a lot of job vacancies, but that speaks to a lot of turnover.

ConsDirection changes with each new leader. Every time someone else is in charge, they come in to reinvent the wheel. It's ridiculous and no one ever listens to anything other than the sound of their own voice. Teacher and staff input is nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. It can't be that hard to realize people are fleeing like a movie theater after someone yells fire.

Worked for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools? Contribute to the Community!