Charlotte Russe

Charlotte Russe Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Charlotte Russe President, CEO, and Director Jenny J. Ming

Jenny J. Ming

Pros
  • Great discount off of regular and sale merchandise (in 36 reviews)

• 40% discount and we also have employee appreciation when they give us 50% off discount (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours are insufficient, combined with the minimum wage pay (I started with 8 (in 14 reviews)

• Not much room for growth in a smaller store (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Employee for 4 years...

Keyholder (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat learning environment for retail, great feedback, given small wage raises often, ease in scheduling and requesting time off, and always know what is expected of you.

ConsNo room for growth, no guarantee for hours, short shifts (three hours for some employees), very catty girls (seen at multiple locations), friends are hired over qualified employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within

Decent Summer Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsThere was a discount for employees that was quite generous - although in some respects, since I was trying to save money the discount could have also been seen as a 'Con,' since I spent a lot of my paychecks on clothes.

ConsI was only there for a summer and they never taught me how to use the cash register. Further, the management had a bad attitude to temporary workers and it wasn't a drama-free zone. They hired too many people and gave out little to no hours. Hours that I needed!

It's a good opportunity to gain experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Torrance, CA

Pros- Friendly co-workers, if you get along with everyone you really don't have any problems. We're all like a family in our store.
    - 40% discount and we also have employee appreciation when they give us 50% off discount
    - Getting dibs on the new shipments, seeing what trends are new
    - Helping a customer picking out an outfit
    - Flexible schedule, if you let the manager know in advance most likely they will give you the day off.
    - Managers are pretty lenient.
    -There will be some nice customers that will thank you for helping them and that is a good encouragement

If you just do your job right and you're a reliable worker most likely you will get treated good. It's important to have good relationships with your co workers because that creates an impact in your performance and dramas lead to unnecessary tension.

I guess it also depends on the management, if your managers are positive and encouraging, that changes the atmosphere of the store. With our old manager, there were a lot of dramas and problems that occured but once we had a new one, there was an improvement.

Over all it's an ideal part time job, but don't expect too much benefits and increase.

Cons- Inconsistent hours, it could go from 9hrs to almost 20 hrs in a week.
    - Hours are insufficient, combined with the minimum wage pay (I started with 8.10 and got an increase 15 cents after working a year) it really is not enough if this is just your only job.
    -Your work and duties are not comparible to your pay.
    - There are days when Managers sometimes have their attitude. When they're stressed, they take it out on you.
    - I find myself being left alone in the floor working by myself at times. And this depends on the manager you're working with. But this helped me get used to in a fast paced environment and learned to multi task.
    - I can't stress enough when they don't schedule enough workers when it's busy on a weekend. It gets crazy and sometimes 2 associates and a manager is not enough to handle the customers.
    -We're definitely under staffed. Either that or they don't know how to make use of the employees they have.
    - They don't really promote employees from within. They hire outside people for management, and they still have to learn how to work things out.
    -I've known some co workers working for 4-5 years and they barely just get promoted to a keyholder.
    - Their training program isn't enough to prepare you when you're actually working in the floor. They just showed me a video on how to work the register, how to grab a shoe, and you're pretty much on your own learning along the way. This caused a lot of mistakes in my part since I had no idea what was going on.

Advice to Senior Management-Managers need to learn how to schedule employees properly. Know what days are the busiest and assign more workers that day.
    - Promote employees from within. It would be easier since they already know how the store works.
    -Have a better training program
    -Appreciate the sales associates also.
    -Better pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok for first management job in clothing retail

Co Manager (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsCute clothes, cute accessories and staff.

ConsPrice point can be a little high so its hard to sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to hire the best District Director

A good starting point.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

Pros40% employee discount. 50% employee appreciation discount.
    Affordable clothing. Casual work environment. Not much stress on personal sales goals from corporate.

ConsLimited direction from corporate in terms of career growth. District Managers very disconnected. Harsh payroll guidelines (payroll percent).
    Limited feedback and celebration for professional achievements.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best way to connect with your employees and business is to BE THERE and BE PRESENT. Having corporate and district managers who have not worked in a retail store setting for some 20+ years does not allow them to understand the current challenges and struggles of today's sales environment.

It's a job in which I accel and pays well.

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Ventura, CA

ProsDecent Pay, and the associates are fun and motivating.

ConsNo internal promotion oppurtunities. Senior Management does not communicate very well with lower management.

Charlotte

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montebello, CA

ProsIt a a place to grow in and get the knowledge needed to move forward and advance with you career.

ConsNot a very good place for promotion becuase they do not promote from within at all. They hire outside the company for managment,

Advice to Senior ManagementLike I mentioned before, it is very difficult to advance in this company. I wish they would hire from within but they dont.

Great place for retail experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Brea, CA

ProsManagers and other workers were all friendly.
    You get 40% retail price of clothing.
    Promotions and moving up are not hard to get.

ConsCleaning up the store after closing hours is ridiculous, and sometimes getting days off are hard depending on the time schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementCharlotte Russe is a great place to work and I do not really have any advice for running the company any different

Working here can be very hectiict at times.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Cerritos, CA

ProsIt can be fun at times to help other customers with picking out an outfit for their special occations. What I love most about this job is that you get 40% of mostly everything in the store.

ConsManagers will sometimes down talk you, and tend to have their favorites. It takes almost 4 years of working their for you to move up and it"s rare that you get recognized for going the extra mile for their company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the managers recognized their wrokers hard work more often and down talked their employees a little less, working at Charlotte Russe would be a little more enjoyable.

An Unexciting Job That Isn't Bad If You Like Clothes And Don't Mind Being Bored At Work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Laguna Hills, CA

ProsIf you love the fashion industry and enjoy working with people then working as a Sales Associate at Charlotte Russe might be a good match for you. You get excellent discounts on all the clothes and are consistently exposed to the newest trends as you see all the shipments come in.

ConsBeing a Sales Associate for me personally was a very boring job. The pay is abismal (minimum), no benefits are offered, and your duties consist of cleaning up dressing rooms and straightening clothes on the racks, often hfor hours on end when there is a lull and you are trying to look busy for lack of anything else to do. The only fun part about the job is assisting customers who ask fashion advice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest emphasizing team building and give Sales Associates greater responsibility.

Worked for Charlotte Russe? Contribute to the Community!