Charlotte Russe

Updated July 21, 2014

3.3

Charlotte Russe President, CEO, and Director Jenny J. Ming
Jenny J. Ming

Pros
  • Great discount off of regular and sale merchandise (in 36 reviews)

• 40% discount and we also have employee appreciation when they give us 50% off discount (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours are insufficient, combined with the minimum wage pay (I started with 8 (in 14 reviews)

• Not much room for growth in a smaller store (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Employee for 4 years...

Current Employee - Keyholder  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Glendale, CA

Pros

Great learning environment for retail, great feedback, given small wage raises often, ease in scheduling and requesting time off, and always know what is expected of you.

Cons

No room for growth, no guarantee for hours, short shifts (three hours for some employees), very catty girls (seen at multiple locations), friends are hired over qualified employees

Promote from within

Decent Summer Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

Pros

There was a discount for employees that was quite generous - although in some respects, since I was trying to save money the discount could have also been seen as a 'Con,' since I spent a lot of my paychecks on clothes.

Cons

I was only there for a summer and they never taught me how to use the cash register. Further, the management had a bad attitude to temporary workers and it wasn't a drama-free zone. They hired too many people and gave out little to no hours. Hours that I needed!

It's a good opportunity to gain experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Torrance, CA

Pros

- Friendly co-workers, if you get along with everyone you really don't have any problems. We're all like a family in our store.
    - 40% discount and we also have employee appreciation when they give us 50% off discount
    - Getting dibs on the new shipments, seeing what trends are new
    - Helping a customer picking out an outfit
    - Flexible schedule, if you let the manager know in advance most likely they will give you the day off.
    - Managers are pretty lenient.
    -There will be some nice customers that will thank you for helping them and that is a good encouragement

If you just do your job right and you're a reliable worker most likely you will get treated good. It's important to have good relationships with your co workers because that creates an impact in your performance and dramas lead to unnecessary tension.

I guess it also depends on the management, if your managers are positive and encouraging, that changes the atmosphere of the store. With our old manager, there were a lot of dramas and problems that occured but once we had a new one, there was an improvement.

Over all it's an ideal part time job, but don't expect too much benefits and increase.

Cons

- Inconsistent hours, it could go from 9hrs to almost 20 hrs in a week.
    - Hours are insufficient, combined with the minimum wage pay (I started with 8.10 and got an increase 15 cents after working a year) it really is not enough if this is just your only job.
    -Your work and duties are not comparible to your pay.
    - There are days when Managers sometimes have their attitude. When they're stressed, they take it out on you.
    - I find myself being left alone in the floor working by myself at times. And this depends on the manager you're working with. But this helped me get used to in a fast paced environment and learned to multi task.
    - I can't stress enough when they don't schedule enough workers when it's busy on a weekend. It gets crazy and sometimes 2 associates and a manager is not enough to handle the customers.
    -We're definitely under staffed. Either that or they don't know how to make use of the employees they have.
    - They don't really promote employees from within. They hire outside people for management, and they still have to learn how to work things out.
    -I've known some co workers working for 4-5 years and they barely just get promoted to a keyholder.
    - Their training program isn't enough to prepare you when you're actually working in the floor. They just showed me a video on how to work the register, how to grab a shoe, and you're pretty much on your own learning along the way. This caused a lot of mistakes in my part since I had no idea what was going on.

-Managers need to learn how to schedule employees properly. Know what days are the busiest and assign more workers that day.
    - Promote employees from within. It would be easier since they already know how the store works.
    -Have a better training program
    -Appreciate the sales associates also.
    -Better pay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok for first management job in clothing retail

Current Employee - Co Manager  in  Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Northridge, CA

Pros

Cute clothes, cute accessories and staff.

Cons

Price point can be a little high so its hard to sell.

Make sure to hire the best District Director

A good starting point.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Glendale, CA

Pros

40% employee discount. 50% employee appreciation discount.
    Affordable clothing. Casual work environment. Not much stress on personal sales goals from corporate.

Cons

Limited direction from corporate in terms of career growth. District Managers very disconnected. Harsh payroll guidelines (payroll percent).
    Limited feedback and celebration for professional achievements.

The best way to connect with your employees and business is to BE THERE and BE PRESENT. Having corporate and district managers who have not worked in a retail store setting for some 20+ years does not allow them to understand the current challenges and struggles of today's sales environment.

It's a job in which I accel and pays well.

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Ventura, CA

Pros

Decent Pay, and the associates are fun and motivating.

Cons

No internal promotion oppurtunities. Senior Management does not communicate very well with lower management.

Charlotte

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montebello, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montebello, CA

Pros

It a a place to grow in and get the knowledge needed to move forward and advance with you career.

Cons

Not a very good place for promotion becuase they do not promote from within at all. They hire outside the company for managment,

Like I mentioned before, it is very difficult to advance in this company. I wish they would hire from within but they dont.

Great place for retail experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brea, CA

Pros

Managers and other workers were all friendly.
    You get 40% retail price of clothing.
    Promotions and moving up are not hard to get.

Cons

Cleaning up the store after closing hours is ridiculous, and sometimes getting days off are hard depending on the time schedule.

Charlotte Russe is a great place to work and I do not really have any advice for running the company any different

Working here can be very hectiict at times.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cerritos, CA

Pros

It can be fun at times to help other customers with picking out an outfit for their special occations. What I love most about this job is that you get 40% of mostly everything in the store.

Cons

Managers will sometimes down talk you, and tend to have their favorites. It takes almost 4 years of working their for you to move up and it"s rare that you get recognized for going the extra mile for their company.

If the managers recognized their wrokers hard work more often and down talked their employees a little less, working at Charlotte Russe would be a little more enjoyable.

An Unexciting Job That Isn't Bad If You Like Clothes And Don't Mind Being Bored At Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Laguna Hills, CA

Pros

If you love the fashion industry and enjoy working with people then working as a Sales Associate at Charlotte Russe might be a good match for you. You get excellent discounts on all the clothes and are consistently exposed to the newest trends as you see all the shipments come in.

Cons

Being a Sales Associate for me personally was a very boring job. The pay is abismal (minimum), no benefits are offered, and your duties consist of cleaning up dressing rooms and straightening clothes on the racks, often hfor hours on end when there is a lull and you are trying to look busy for lack of anything else to do. The only fun part about the job is assisting customers who ask fashion advice.

I would suggest emphasizing team building and give Sales Associates greater responsibility.

Worked for Charlotte Russe? Contribute to the Community!