Charming Charlie

Updated October 23, 2014
2.7

Charming Charlie Founder & CEO Charlie Chanaratsopon
Charlie Chanaratsopon

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent, and the time-off policies are stellar (in 14 reviews)

• 25% discount on regular priced items (which could be a good or bad things depending) (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance for salaried managers negatively effected (in 9 reviews)

• Upper Management does not appreciate lower level management and treat them with respect (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun but frustrating

Current Employee - Charmer
    Current Employee - Charmer

I have been working at Charming Charlie part-time

Pros

If you have great management and coworkers going to work can be blast. Dressing up for work is fun and you are encouraged to be energetic and upbeat. Shifts are flexible and short and the work itself is fun if you care about fashion and making the customers happy.

Cons

Starting out can be stressful, lots of "rules" you don't know right way unless you talk to management in length about what is expected of you. Management "reads your personality" before getting to know you and encourage competition between charmers to impress them. No one is very happy about that and it creates some dissension. Sometimes you have to work early mornings and overnights if you tell them you are available. Pay is low considering how much stuff you want to buy.

Give charmers the opportunity to learn about job before you overwhelm them with expectations. Pay them maybe a dollar more so they don't feel hesitant about buying product that is constantly being updated.

Loved the people I worked with but...

Current Employee - Sales Associate, "Charmer" in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate, "Charmer" in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Charming Charlie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours which is good for college students. New shipment arrives twice a week. Fairly flexible with what you can wear. Each month there are 5 colors that you can wear aside from all black. I loved the other sales associates and we bonded like sisters.
    The discount was okay, 25% off full price merchandise which you cannot combine with markdowns.

Cons

It really depends on who your managers are. I had some wonderful managers who really cared about us and wanted to see the store grow and others who were awful and only cared about looking good to the district managers. Because new shipment comes in so frequently there are 6am shifts to put out new merchandise and after hours shifts to markdown prices.
    Corporate has crazy unrealistic standards and they have no idea what does on in the day to day operations. They forced us to sell magazine subscriptions which customers didn't want and got complaints all the time until eventually there was a lawsuit. They expect us to sign up customers for coupons, sell gift cards, sell fragrances, make sure everyone is spending a certain amount, etc. Our current DM has a "my way or the highway" attitude which stresses everyone out and makes the environment unpleasant.

Have more realistic expectations and understand that the customer is not always right.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Charmer in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Charmer in Novi, MI

I worked at Charming Charlie part-time

Pros

Charming Charlie was a fun place to work.The managers were nice and the co-workers were easy to get along with. The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and every couple months they have an employee appreciation weekend where the employees get 40% off.

Cons

Pay is low and associates receive less than 10 hours a week. Everybody is part time and there is no way you make a living only working there. This is a job for someone in high school.

Provide associates with an acceptable amount of hours a week.

Fun, Friendly and Fabulous

I have been working at Charming Charlie

Pros

- Great place to work at
    - Hard-wroking and dedicated team
    - Supportive management
    - Good pay and great discounts

Cons

- Cons of retail sector in general which is working during weekends and holidays

- Being extremely flexible with customer and giving them advantage when it comes to returns could heart the sales and eventually the business
    - accepting returns of certain accessories like earrings must not be allowed as it is unhygienic

I worked at Charming Charlie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-25% discount
    -friendly people
    -get to do your own displays and get creative
    -customer appreciation!

Cons

-all black dress code
    -scheduling can be confusing at times

Should be allowed to wear patterns if they are both spotlight colors or black.

Great people but bad pay.

Current Employee - Charmer/Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Charmer/Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Charming Charlie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked at Charming Charlie as a sales associate, or 'Charmer', for the past two years and I love everyone that works there. The way that the sales are set up really let us work as a team, as opposed to making sales competitive. The employee discount is decent, and the time-off policies are stellar. I'm a full-time student, and my managers are always very understanding and flexible when it comes to working around my school schedule. For part-time associates the shifts are rarely more than six hours, so I only occasionally feel overworked, depending on how busy we are.

Cons

To put it simply, the pay stinks. After working there for two years and constantly being told how I'm one of the top employees there in terms of sales and work ethic, the yearly raises have added up to a total of 25 cents an hour. This is a fairly new company that doesn't sell high-end merchandise, so I understand that the starting wages aren't going to be eight or nine dollars an hour, but to get a raise of ten cents this past year after the work I've put in seems like a slap in the face.

The store culture is wonderful, but the compensation is making me consider finding a position elsewhere.

Charming Charlie is a great place to work

Former Employee - Charmer/Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Charmer/Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Charming Charlie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, great core values, fabulous product

Cons

recovery of merchandise can be frustrating, closing took a while

Wonderful but demanding job; corporate has genuinely awful policies and underpays

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Charming Charlie

Pros

Helping customers find outfits, merchandising, atmosphere, very trend aware company.

Cons

Asking people to subscribe to lucky and glamour magazines & capturing their emails (and getting hours based solely on that) un addition to selling your butt off

Drop the lucky glam contract. Realize the level of selling ability and half way decent charmer has and pay her for that. Revise your MOS policies, because they make me ill. Prosecute shop lifters. Have a more strict return policy

Great store to shop, awful to work for!

I worked at Charming Charlie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro to working here is getting to look at all the great accessories you get 25% off of but you can't buy anyway because you make minimum wage and only get 10 hours a week.

Cons

Unless you're management you will only work 10-15 hours a week at best with 4 or 5 hour shifts.They give you on call shifts that aren't an option so you can't make plans. You get paid minimum wage and the day drags as you're on your feet all day. They also check your bags after every shift to make sure you're not stealing.

Employ less people and provide more hours if you're going to pay awful. Trust your employees more than to treat them like potential thieves.

Great part-time gig!

Current Employee - Charmer in Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - Charmer in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at Charming Charlie part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount and appreciation days, Charmer of the Week contests, get to see new merchandise and markdowns before all the customers, fun to work on displays, and the music is always amazing!

Cons

Minimum wage, no benefits, and it's retail, so get ready to work every single holiday.

Charming Charlie Photos