Chartboost

Updated August 4, 2014

4.1

Chartboost Co-Founder & CEO Maria Alegre
Maria Alegre

Awesome company to work for

Pros

Company takes care of its employees and provides opportunity to learn a ton about the industry
    Company lunches and outings are always very fun
    Beautiful new office and culture is great

Cons

Day to day work can get very monotonous and you can feel like you "plateaued" after about a year
    Company seems to be promoting from within in order to retain long-time employees

Keep doing what you're doing! However, try to create a more hierarchical structure in the company in order to promote leadership and continue driving individual growth.

One of the best start-up places to work

Pros

Great work culture.
    Awesome benefits.
    Best work flexibility.
    Nice place to start and grow your career.

Cons

Getting the stuff done is slowed overall and always miss the deadline planned for.
    Organizatiion and team structure a little bit disorganized.
    Need more really smart engineers.

Fast growing but with lots of office politics and inexperienced leadership

Current Employee - Undisclosed  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fast growing, positive culture, nice office, above average pay

Cons

Inexperienced manager, office politics, disconnection between product and sales

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Arrogant people, wrong priority, unskilled managers

Former Employee - Undisclosed  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in San Francisco, CA

Pros

good location (soma office), and the company is profitable. compensation is not awesome but pays bare minimum to live in SF. people hang out pretty well.

Cons

1. cheap, cheap, cheap
    2. people are slightly racists (esp. upper management)
    3. no focus, lacks leadership, management doesn't listen

embrace bad reviews. listen to employees.

Chill culture, lots of room for growth, pretty BS-free

Pros

After coming from a for-profit startup where everyone acted like they were curing cancer for a living, Chartboost was a breath of fresh air – we're proud of our products and passionate about our customers, but the culture is pretty free from the frantic, phony intensity that infects a lot of young tech companies. I think this comes straight from the top, with the C-level folks being smart and driven but also casual, approachable, and unpretentious.

Managers give their reports a nice amount of flexibility in shaping their roles – there are core job responsibilities, of course, but I've been so lucky in being able to put forward ideas about how to do my job better and help improve the team I work on, with those ideas received with respect and serious consideration.

I was also blown away by how willing the company is to let smart people try new things, with even a few cases of transfers into engineering roles and guidance/mentorship afterward.

Cons

Matching 401K would be nice, could be prohibitively expensive, though. Same with daily lunches, but I can't complain too much as we get lunch once a week and dinner every day.

Keep sharing as much as you do about the challenges we face, what we do well and what could be better. It helps me do my job better when I know what the big picture looks like.

Happy employee :)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- amazing company culture- friendly, open, fun, sharp, witty, geeky company culture
    - vision/product- customers love what we do, I have such pride in what we've built and I feel like I've been able to

Cons

- not much, I think I work too much because I believe in the product- I just need to do a better job of personal work/life balance

- keep it up and continue being transparent sharing product roadmap and vision :)

A future so bright, most of our schwag is sunglasses.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Incredibly positive culture. Very friendly, accepting, well informed coworkers. Like seriously, coming from a dumb company before this was a huge improvement. Executive staff are (relatively) transparent. Product has improved vastly in the past few years. We are growing like crazy too, which is immensely exciting.

Cons

The work-life balance could be a little better and I wish we had matching 401Ks :-( There is not much else to complain about though.

Keeping kicking butt and being friendly. Also, get out and enjoy life a bit more, even you need a break occasionally :-)

Pretty nice place to work

Pros

CEO and CTO are really accessible and care a lot about the company.
    People are passionate about the objective of the company, and their work.
    Managers/Mentors are really accessible and always willing to help one out.
    Pay is nice.

Cons

Awkward office culture, people are slightly racist.
    In terms of tech, we are stuck at either doing projects with very little impact and mostly catching up with our competitors, also a lot of time is spent in supporting existing products and burning fires.
     Even though we are a startup the room for upward mobility is bleak.

Fantastic team, great culture, and a ton of momentum.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

This place is on a rocket ship and it's really exciting to be a part of that growth. The developer community we build products for love our work and it's resulted in huge gains for the company. It's rare to find a company at this stage that has figured out how to be a business.
    Great benefits, passionate people, and lots of opportunity to make an impact and grow with the org. The founders and execs are super down-to-earth and are really approachable and transparent with the rest of the organization.

Cons

It's a fast-paced and ever-changing environment, considering it's an evolving industry. I don't consider this a real con, but staff needs to be adaptable and able to roll with changes as our product line grows and industry fluctuates.

Keep being as transparent as you've been with the customers and staff and I think the company is going to do some amazing things.

Young, fast-paced startup with amazing benefits

Pros

Insanely good benefits including fully paid family insurance. Positive people, rapid growth, fun technology. The leadership is very transparent and approachable. You wouldn't even know their job title at a glance.

Cons

They are growing faster than it seems they expected and experiencing growing pains. There can be too much work to do as a result.

Worked for Chartboost? Contribute to the Community!