Charter Communications
www.charter.com Saint Louis, MO 5000+ Employees

Charter Communications Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Charter Communications – US – “Charter Communications”

Charter Communications President & CEO Thomas M. Rutledge

Thomas M. Rutledge

Pros:
  • "free cable , some of the techs are great to work with , sub contractor's are cool 4 float days"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good Benefits - Free Cable and other services - Advancement is quick lower in the lower ranks"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management change rules weekly to seemingly make it tougher for outside sales reps to close deals"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Broadband Sales (inbound calls in call center) This position was a complete joke"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unstructured and Strict for no reason. Lack actual managers

Sales Support (Current Employee)
Greenville, SC

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's great for a starter job, co-workers are slightly helpful, the money will be ok, and the trainers are very great. Select supervisors are there for you.

ConsThey lack stability, a sense of direction, and the training sucks. All I knew I taught myself and had to teach/train my co-workers, some of which had been there years before myself. A sales environment with no clear, attainable goals and high turnover rate. Center tries to force people to work even during inclement weather. That should tell you something. Everyone is pretty much out for themselves. No customer service and no care for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe there for your employees to train, teach, guide, and overall support. Listen to them and stop being scared to take a stand. Employees drive the business.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Executives don't have a concern in the world for their employees.

Network Engineer III (Current Employee)
Billings, MT

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLiterally nothing.

Oh wait, free services if in a served market.

ConsI came from Bresnan Communications, the Google of MSO's. So what's really wrong with Charter?

Benefits are very poor. Medical, Dental, Vision, are all worse than Bresnan or Cablevision, by a LOT.

You are a number. Managers care, but their concerns fall on deaf ears. Nothing you do or say can change upper managements mind, even issues where security or profits are concerned.

Morally corrupt, they charge for services that no longer exist or have been deprecated. Unless of course the customer calls in and questions it.

The typical large MSO attitude of profits before reality is strong here. Even if you offer suggestions, with proof no less, that something could easily and cheaply increase revenue or reduce capital costs, they will ignore you and say their way is better.

Investors are getting short changed by more than a few percent due to the idiotic "Well, Comcast/TWC is doing it, we should too!" ideas our leaders seem to think will work well for this organization.

Gosh I don't know, the obvious lack of love for Cable companies, just shy of the hatred for banks, couldn't possibly make executives think "well maybe those Comcast/TWC ideas aren't that great..."

Advice to Senior ManagementYou scare your middle management into complacence and create a barrier of "yes men." Your managers and the actual employees that earn you all that money know far better what will and won't help the companies bottom line. Take a second to actually come down to the "real world" level of your company and see how your short sited actions are truly hurting your potential for success. Stop playing monopoly with your employees lives, man up, and really look at what you are doing and how it will affect your long term performance.

Employees are just a number

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Walker, MI

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPlenty of OT available

ConsOnly mgmt employees are recognized and other office personal not on salary positions are overlooked and not recognized by senior mgmt and corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees know they are valuable and appreciated (mainly office personal). Non salaried office employees are never recognized for the work they do.

The management team is disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Charter Communications

ProsI learned how to interact with customers in a face to face enviroment

ConsThe trainers dont take the time to explain the internal process of the job

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more organized an explanatory in the training process or to let the senior reps train the new employees

Stress not wroth it

Retention Advisor (Former Employee)
Walker, MI

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Prosdecent base pay , and benefits.

ConsSomeone is always touching your commissions,not being payed for 2-3 mo . the job is emotionally draining . and if you are a masters grad this company sucks with choosing qualified people for management . too much micro management

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to listen to your employees .stop playing with commissions because the job your call center reps do is not a walk in the park .

Ugh! 12 wasted years

Front Counter Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Traverse City, MI

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe workers are friendly. If I had to say anything else nice it would be that they used to have nice Xmas parties, but then they stopped, so....

ConsEverything else. Management is clueless on what happens at the customer level. Suggestions and opinions are ignored. Pay is far below average.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop getting someone new every 2 years. Listen to the front line people that deal with the customers.

Charter Review

I have been working at Charter Communications

ProsCapability of working at home sometimes.

ConsUpper management sucks! They do not every offer assistance however expect you to be the fall guy no matter what.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all the directors and VP's. They are the reason the company went bankrupt and I predict will again in the near future if we do not change quickly.

I shut off Charter Communications fro two years and its the best thing I ever did!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Stamford, CT

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has no pros at all

ConsThe HR organization doesn't realize it's the 21st Century.

Advice to Senior ManagementDIVERSITY: It's a great thing! Get rid of the RACISM!

DO NOT WORK HERE

Retention Specialist (Former Employee)
Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Charter Communications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNone, there was nothing good about working here.

ConsThis company does not care about their employees at all. I worked here for 3.5 years, they caused me so much stress that I started having medical issues. They claim they care, but they really don't, they drive you to the bone, and treat you like garbage. I understand they are a business and need to make money, but making your employees come in on their days off, work 10-12 hour days over 5 days a week is not okay. People do have families and lives. I was the happiest I had ever been the day I quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings, have a heart. People have more important things going on than working for Charter. Why do you think you have such a high turn-around rate.

Could be a great place to work and a long term career option, if management wasn't so bad.

Direct Sales (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for less than a year

ProsPotential to make great money and the benefits package is really nice.

ConsPoorly trained managers, micro management, and unreasonable work hours expected. One sales goal for the entire company regardless of territory or competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt cost a lot to hire and train an employee why wouldn't you want to take care of that investment. When you have talented people working for you take advantage of those talents and let them do what they are good at.

Worked for Charter Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charter Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Charter Communications CEO Thomas M. Rutledge. All 301 reviews posted anonymously by Charter Communications employees.