www.charter.com

Updated February 28, 2015
3.1

Charter Communications President & CEO Thomas M. Rutledge
Thomas M. Rutledge

Pros
  • They offer good benefits including free cable and internet services (in 52 reviews)

• Good Benefits - Free Cable and other services - Advancement is quick lower in the lower ranks (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management (with a few reasonable supervisors as an exception) is downright dreadful (in 28 reviews)

• It is a call center so be prepared to embrace everything that goes along with the (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor management and negative work environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newtown, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Newtown, CT

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discounted cable and internef
    Some nice coworkers

Cons

Negative office environment
    Poor management
    Favoritism

Although I made some good friends at Charter and the pay was good, the management favored some people over others regardless of performance. One girl called out all the time and was best friends with the manager so it was ok and she still got to handle special projects.

terrible company

I worked at Charter Communications

Pros

nothing really positive here sorry

Cons

had no clue how to manage

get better management

Management is awful at both local and district level. Free services is a good benefit.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Technician in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Technician in Hickory, NC

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

free cable and internet services
    free vehicle to take home

Cons

If you complain about dm or hr they will retaliate against you even though the policy says they won't. I have seen people fired for complaining against area and district management. the ones that stand up for what is right will not last long here. a lot of us had hope when new management was hired but they are blind to what is going on and like other management does not want to hear the truth.
    goals are unrealistic and there is a lot of favoritism but if they like you then you can get by with anything. sucking up goes a long way at charter. some supervisors have more than one newer company vehicle and techs get the worn out ones
    medical insurance is very expensive and retirement plan will not be enough to retire onpay is not really that great and from the reviews I read on this site it appears some areas may be better than others so if you can afford to move to one of those in another state you may have better luck

get rid of prejudiced and self serving area and hr management. Send someone new who actually reads those questionnaires that are sent out, who will care and listen and who we can trust - no current local or district management will do. have someone contact those fired and find out the real reason they were fired instead of what hr and dm tell you. find out why some are never punished for breaking the rules and others are. review pay for senior techs and offer better medical plans that employees can afford. offer a better retirement plan. offer customers more affordable services and lower the cost of the hd boxes because customers are canceling their cable because they have to pay for a box for every room, and they don't have to with Dish, UVerse, or Direct TV.

Technical Operations Supervisor

Former Employee - Technical Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Technical Operations Supervisor

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free cable, it's a job but not a career.

Cons

Upper management leads by intimidation. Human Resources does not protect employees. Goals for employees change way too often and employees hardly know what direction to go. Charter talks about customer satisfaction as being number 1 but goals set by management doesn't allow that philosophy.

Set clear goals and take care of front line employees. Intimidation and fear is something of the past.

Good Luck

Former Employee - Billing Advisor
    Former Employee - Billing Advisor

I worked at Charter Communications

Pros

Free Services (because nobody in their right mind should have to pay such an exorbitant amount for shoddy service)

Cons

Too many to list them all but here are the key complaints to focus on.
    1. Truly poor management at all levels.
    2. Confusing and outright Ludacris demands and expectations.
    3. No signs of humanity within the company.
    4. Lie-Confuse-Lie-Pass to retention. Billing call structure makes you look like a liar, act like a liar, and once pushed to the verge of cancellation; pass them off to retention who will have the ability to offer them the pricing/promo that will keep them with you till the next meltdown.

charter communications

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Charter Communications

Pros

nothing, sucks working here. Upper management sucks.

Cons

sucks to work here!!! No origanization. Consistently changing the job responsibilites.

Get more organized

WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR- GREENVILLE

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Greenville, SC

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Only one is free cable/internet and phone

Cons

Where do I begin: 1) poor training 2) supervisor do not know what they are doing 3) sexual harassment from team members and supervisor 4) constantly changing commission structure to make it hard to get it 5) HR not listening and caring 6) firing people just because they do not force customers to get the triple gold package 7) not following through on the action plan set up to help people on the sales floor 8) Have a better sick policy and when someone brings a doctor's not and does not have sick time do not use it against them and write them up.

Listen to your employees and customers. get to know your reps and care about their needs. Managers need to get out on the floor instead of sitting at their desk. Stop blaring loud music and yelling on the sales floor and see that the customers hear this. Make it easier for Reps to move up to management and stop the discrimination and favoritism.

need more teamwork

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great co workers! Nice working environment

Cons

none at this time but we will see how it goes

CBROC

Former Employee - Tss in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Tss in Madison, WI

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good health care benefits, free cable benefits

Cons

Minorities are not allow to work in corporate view, they give a false feeling of belonging if your a minority

practice what your preach, don't be so quick to judge

Was a horrible experience from start to finis.h some depts. may be ok but direct sales was definitely not.

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sorry I can't of one reason to work in direct sales, Hands were tied behind our back. No possible way to makes daily/weekly quotas. there were only a handful in the whole nation and they were fed apt complexes which we were not allowed.

Cons

In my frustration one day, I stated if would be less painful if I was just hit over the head with a hammer. We were hammered every day before we went out on the streets. hammered at the end of the day. When the whole nation is not making commission, there is a problem with management of sales force and how they have assigned out duties.

Charter Communications Photos