www.charter.com

Updated October 19, 2014
3.1

Charter Communications President & CEO Thomas M. Rutledge
Thomas M. Rutledge

Pros
  • They offer good benefits including free cable and internet services (in 48 reviews)

• Good Benefits - Free Cable and other services - Advancement is quick lower in the lower ranks (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management (with a few reasonable supervisors as an exception) is downright dreadful (in 28 reviews)

• It is a call center so be prepared to embrace everything that goes along with the (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Town and Country, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Town and Country, MO

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent money to be made in sales. They offer good benefits including free cable and internet services. Overtime is freely available most of the time.

Cons

Was unfairly fired for not following "call flow" without warning nor proof of actual violation. I demanded to hear calls of what they were claiming I did wrong (not pitching "triple play gold" on every call) since I know that it wasn't true. They summarily refused and fired me on the spot. I was still in training, in what they call "nesting", and was out performing most of the tenured employees. Was never given a true clear reason why I was really fired.

Consider a more transparent training process

Video repair rep

Former Employee - Video Repair Representative in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Video Repair Representative in Rochester, MN

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, medical,dental, and free cable,internet and home phone services. . Call center is open 24 hours.

Cons

It's a bad company for people with goals. I was there five years and seven months. Never got promoted once. I did everything that was recommended. They stopped allowing employees to work part time, took away all encouraging and fun programs, that made it worth working in a call center. Call centers are one of the top stressful jobs taking those things away caused most harm. I tried over 13 times to move up in the company but management picks favorites not most qualified . Part time is important for those wanting to go back to school. Months after they refuse to work with me so I could go to college I left. And will never go back. You can not pick your own hours. They no longer allow shifts to be traded. They don't care about their employees. They are never happy no matter how good you do they always find something to complain about. When I was meeting all my goals the supervisor complain that I didn't volunteer for unpaid company events. Like I own them. I use to really like charter and now I hate them just as much as I use to like them. Management not on the same page,if you ask three people the same question you will get three different answers. I could go on for hours but I have homework.

Realize your employees are people too. When I worked at charter I asked managers and supervisors many times about having my hours changed so I could go to college but no one answered me I sent emails to the top of the call center and still got no answer. That is disrespectful. Months later I finally was told No charter will not work with your school hours. The school I'm now attending has talked to many ex and current employees and they we told the same thing. Realize that call center jobs are one of the most stressful jobs around. Put some fun back into it and show you care just saying it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Call center environment so you're stuck at your desk.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Video Repair in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You get free cable, internet and phone service. The benefits are pretty good but have changed a lot over the years. Good 401k contributions. Good training program.

Cons

Local management is too "clicky", making it hard to advance. Some of the performance metrics are counter-productive. The company often causes problems with the equipment in customer's homes which cause a huge headache for employees on the front line and in the field. If you try to switch departments, the salary changes and you can't do a lateral move. The last few interviews I had were a huge pay-cut so moving around to gain experience is not economically sensible.

Advice to management would be to lighten up on the scripting of the calls. It's hard enough to talk all day, but to say "Thank you for calling Charter Communications, my name is ___. At the end of this call you will be given the opportunity to provide feedback on my performance. How may I assist you today?" 50 times a day is exhausting! Especially since the robot ALREADY says it before you answer!!

Need fewer Upper level Managers, more frontline employees and better communication

Current Employee - Transport & Capacity Eng I in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Transport & Capacity Eng I in Denver, CO

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company with opportunities to learn the business and move forward on your carrier path if you are willing to apply yourself. Many great individuals on our team and in the company that make it a fun place to work with friendly people.

Cons

Too many VP's and upper management that sometime create a mixed message being sent to the frontline employees from upper management. Very little direction or communication from our VP and Director level. Not sure what is going on with our organization sometimes and do not feel that the work I do is valued by my Director and VP. No recognition when we save the company money or when we complete work on a project ahead of time and on budget that has taken may hours and coordination to complete.

Reduce the number of upper management between the CEO and Frontline employees. Open lines of communication and ensure the frontline employees know where the business is headed so that we have more focus on company goals and objectives.

Was a decent company

I worked at Charter Communications

Pros

Commission was okay,. base wage was decent.. People i worked with were great

Cons

some people in leadership let it go to their head

Best time of my life, sweeping the system for ingress and chasing noise.

Former Employee - Spectrum Sweep Tech in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Spectrum Sweep Tech in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Charter Communications as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Working with the System Techs. The Teamwork they show off and on the field is extraordinary. They love what they do and are the best.

Cons

Not enough hours in a day, lol. Anything can be fixed and it does get fixed but sometimes the hour rolls over past 12am and the customers go nuts. Everybody loves their cable TV. ;)

HR is not synced so to say with actual field knowledge and the roadblock they cause during the hiring of new candidates is a heavy burden and pricey at that, for the company and the individuals who are denied what could be the best opportunity in their lives.

WORST COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Greenville, SC

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free services if you live in a Charter area

Cons

They do not care about their employees and place high expectations. There management are two faced and look for the bad in people then praising the good. I was harassed by a employee and supervisor and they did not care. I truly believe that the high expectations on the sales floor was their way to not have to pay high commission each month. Calls from customers or people that lived in a non-serviceabe area where count against us as were calls for customers that were past due on their accts. There was more supervisors that did not want to assist you and if you asked for help they would be rude. I would send emails that where sales for me and they never would do anything to help me to close them. The turn over is high with people either being fired or living.

Start listening to your employees and care about their well being. Realize that there would be no Charter if their employees weren't there. They also need to realize that they need to stop forcing their employees to push the Triple Gold (most expensive package) on every person that calls in and let the reps sale what the customer wants!!!!!!!

Excellent Opportunity for motivated sales people

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Plattsburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Plattsburgh, NY

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation plan provides reward for efforts, flexible schedule

Cons

6 days a week is expected, inaccurate reporting limits sales opportunities

More flexibility on the sales, change promotions to prevent repetitive presentations.

STAY AWAY

Former Employee - Billing Representative in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Billing Representative in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They pay a living wage and have wonderful discounts on services if they service your area.

Cons

I was hired on in the Vancouver, WA facility as a billing representative. The interview process was great, informed me of everything I needed to know about what kind of schedule I would be working.

In my last week of training (we had already been on the phone for 2 weeks), I received a phone call that my father had been rushed to the hospital and that he didn't have much longer. Since he had no other family, it was up to me alone to make any medical decisions.

I informed Human Resources of my situation. Said I loved my job and that I did not want to do anything to jeopardize it. They told me "You are doing a great job, you're learning quickly. Just keep us informed of what is going on and we can work with you." When I expressed concern again about losing my job due to having to deal with what was going on with my father I was told by 2 separate supervisors that a couple people had missed a full week of work and all they did was keep her in training an extra week. So my worries eased.

Then, on October 3rd, the day before my "graduation", I was informed that I needed to sign paperwork and move my father into Hospice. I missed half a day to do so, but not without informing management that I would be. Again, I was told, that they would work with me as long as I kept them updated.

The next day, when I returned to work, I was promptly fired. The reason given: "It's just not working out." I asked for a more detailed explanation, but was given the same answer, "It's just not working out."

When I tried to file for unemployment, they reasons they gave were: inappropriate behavior, insubordination, and missing time.

My father passed away 9 days later.

The company is a horrible company to work for is you have or care about your family. STAY AWAY!!

Hire human beings to manage, not robots!

broadband installer

Former Employee - Broadband Installer in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Broadband Installer in Carson City, NV

I worked at Charter Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

technical work and great benefits

Cons

I failed to qualify for pole climbing

training was good in hands on crimping, safety and liked the computer training.

Charter Communications Photos