Charter Communications

Updated September 28, 2014
3.1

Charter Communications President & CEO Thomas M. Rutledge
Thomas M. Rutledge

Pros
  • They offer good benefits including free cable and internet services (in 46 reviews)

• Good Benefits - Free Cable and other services - Advancement is quick lower in the lower ranks (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management (with a few reasonable supervisors as an exception) is downright dreadful (in 28 reviews)

• It is a call center so be prepared to embrace everything that goes along with the (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

"Let them eat cake"

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay very well for my job level. I've made some great friends, too.

Cons

To start, most people are treated as hired help; their input, ideas, and anything other contributions they try to make - except for narrowly defined operational tasks - are duly rebuffed. There is no sense of entrepreneurship, pride, or thinking outside the box because these qualities are frowned upon. So, I have spent the past year and four months literally running reports and turning them in. Rinse and repeat.

The benefits are a joke. I pay out the wazoo in insurance premiums, yet I have a $1,600 deductible I have to satisfy before insurance covers anything. We get 10 DAYS of vacation PER YEAR, plus 4 "floating holidays", and then only the bare minimum of bank holidays off - excluding MLK Day. Yes, one of the largest cable companies in the US does not observe MLK Day. They also REQUIRE you to come in during inclement weather - working from home is forbidden, even though we sell internet - and if you cannot come in for "personal reasons" (i.e. your road isn't plowed, the interstate is closed, and the Governor has declared a state of emergency) you have to use your paltry vacation time. Even if you do go "rogue" and work from home anyway to avoid a vacation day, they will still make you use one and not give it back to you.

The ironic thing is my manager gave me a song and dance about work-life balance and how it important it is when I was interviewing. But, I have never worked for a place that is so extreme on the "work" side of the balance. The upper management who did come over from St. Louis mostly do not have families or left them there. They are in at 7 AM, leave at 8 PM and expect us all to do the same. If they had been up front about how important the optics of being in your seat for 13 hours are, I certainly wouldn't have come here. For the record, I have never been spoken to about this; it's just apparent that this is the dynamic. Some of the upper managers who made the move are incompetent, yet have immunity because they're from the "Old Guard". They have made tremendous mistakes with serious financial consequences, yet are still here. Meanwhile, people hired locally are essentially on an indefinite probationary period where they can be let go for any error. It's "Let them eat cake" for the 21st Century.

You're paying people a tremendous amount of money, yet don't let them use their brains. Leverage the human capital you have. Also, embrace the changing times and develop a marketing strategy that focuses on winning more, not losing less.

Needless to say, there are no opportunities for personal growth - unless you made the move from St. Louis. To stay on the nepotism track, hire and fire based on merit. There are incredibly incompetent people making incredibly bad decisions and you will lose good people. You're losing me as of Friday.

i love working for charter they are a great company to work for with good benefits

Current Employee - Broadband Technician Senior  in  Albertville, AL
    Current Employee - Broadband Technician Senior in Albertville, AL

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

they respect their employees hard work and reward you for trying

Cons

sometimes need better communications between employees

i appreciate the way you acknowledge your employees hard work a great group of management to work for

Terrible Senior Management

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Once you are 5 years in, you accrue vacation faster. Frontline and mid-level employees are great to work with.

Cons

The current senior management that migrated the headquarters to Stamford CT are terribly top heavy. I have never seen so many VPs and SVPs and that feel they are above actual work. Instead of looking at the work previous management has done to progress the company, they utilize the PDOOMA method for everything. Every decision is manic and executed without ANY data to support it's success. When the decision fails to fruit any result, they like to blame others for not executing it correctly even tho those in those roles expressed serious concern from the onset. The have eroded a team building environment that once progressed the company to a toxic individualized one that pits teams that once worked together against each other for reasons that are beyond me. This set of senior management that were imported from another Northeast cable company to cash in like bandits on stock options are ruining a once great place to work. Training is non existent, the health insurance they offer is the biggest waste of money I have ever seen. Regardless of the "stock price and performance" which seems just to pad the pockets of imported senior staff, the place is a house of cards.

There is no advice I can provide because they will not listen anyway. It's their way or the highway and I hope to be on the highway, be my own choosing, soon.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going Down Hill Fast

I have been working at Charter Communications

Pros

The best thing about working for Charter is the full time pay with benefits that include free cable services

Cons

The culture has definitely taken a change for the worst...Unrealistic expectations when it comes to the sales goals set to judge your performance....My pay has dropped every since I have been with the company

Outside Sales

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

You make your own schedule. No micro-managing. Great paying when everything works properly.

Cons

This company is very unorganized and behind the times when it comes to technology and efficiency. The techs are always screwing up installs and there's no way for you to know unless you call every customer to make sure your sale went through. They lie and tell you that you have a 5 day work week when you get hired but they try to force you to work every Saturday.

If you don't like working in extreme weather conditions do not apply.

Don't do it

Current Employee - Sales  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Sales in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Free cable & internet services. Medical plan is comparable to most companies.

Cons

Your job is threatened daily, unfriendly supervisors who don't even speak. High turn over & this call center is on a high school level.

A revolving door with a legally documented history of extreme expectations

I worked at Charter Communications full-time

Pros

Easy to get in if respect
    Change maybe is coming

Cons

Their culture suffers lawsuits one reaching $18 million in time unpaid for the "employees could not complete the required number of job tasks per day without being disciplined." As with all places repeated discipline infractions loses you your job. Stress is extreme bad here.

Best programmers are always searching the job sites. At my corporate office replacements came in small department a couple workers every month. Good contractor told me would not take job he has spine and a life. People who are not able to be making it elsewhere stay and are eventually boss. HR is so busy emails going but never appear.

Floorplan is great but Google does more. Rating of managers by their peers and their workers. Use data, for finding office politics and bad turnover.

Stepping stones

I have been working at Charter Communications for more than 3 years

Pros

Telecom is a must for many people. Therefore, the products tend to sell themselves. Relatively competitive pricing. Decent commission plan. Free service (I.e., TV, Internet and phone).

Cons

Management team is insufficient. This is not to say that there are not enough of them but rather that the effort put forth is lacking.

Sales/ Sales Support

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time

Pros

Money, health care benefits and commssions

Cons

Morale, Changing environment and management

Bad work environment

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Charter Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None- except the training program was decent.

Cons

Poor management, strange schedule changes and uneven pay increases.

Run.

Charter Communications Photos

Charter Communications
Charter Call Center

+ Add Photo

Worked for Charter Communications? Contribute to the Community!