Charter Fitness

Updated November 5, 2014
2.3

Dan Collins
1 Rating

Laid back place to work, management is a joke

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Peoria, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

set own schedule, laid back atmosphere, free membership

Cons

management has no leadership skills, company falsely sets up bonus infrastructure

"Thought it was different, but its not"

Former Employee - Club Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Club Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like the equipment that we could provide the members along with a clean facility.

Cons

Upper management has very limited business sense. They will make rash decisions if they a re in a rush to leave.

Apply to business school!

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Charter Fitness full-time

Pros

You get to work face to face with members and help all types reach healthy goals

Cons

SRM blame,blame,blame. Don't want to help nor upgrade! SRM never comes to club to see what really goes on in the club, but tell everyone that he does! You give all you got and all you get back his negativity. The only good you get is experience to put on resume while you look for another job! Never pay raise. Have never met the owners of the club, they haven't stepped foot in the gym for years!There is no communicating with this company, it always your fault. I do believe they are not out for the best interest of the members. SRM needs to get of his butt and perform in his job for the good of his employees he is suppose to protect, however he is just a "YES" sir man!

Check on your SRM's. If something isn't to your standards or the numbers aren't what you like to see. Don't just go by what the SRM says, call your general managers and find out the truth! Check up on the conditions of your club!!!! Members are your paycheck, you don't take what their concerns are serious, you lose members! This is the case in this club!!! Build it and they will come! Don't maintain and they will leave!

Personal Trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sycamore, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibile schedule, good pay, constantly changing schedule (allows free time)

Cons

Sales job with sales expectations, very routine

Allow successful trainers the opportunity to make more money

A good place to get started

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low barrier to entry. Huge volume of new members to refine your sales process on.

Cons

Hourly employees not motivated. General lack of commitment to the position and facility in general. Clientele can be difficult to work with. Little incentive to go above and beyond.

None of the employees understand the mission of the organization. There are no core values to uphold. You need to lead with a vision.

What a pitiful and HORRID place to work. Pathetic and unbearable.

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not much to say really. I guess one perk would be that you get a membership for free that otherwise costs the general public $10 per month. The only pros that you get are the ones you create for yourself (like working out on the clock for example) because this company does NOTHING to reward their staff.

Cons

This section will be paraphrased because there is literally an endless list when it comes to the negative aspects of this pathetic excuse for a company. First of all, there is absolutely ZERO career path. Just a false sense of one up until you get to General Manager, in which case you are constantly lied to along the way regarding performance reviews and raises. When someone leaves the company or is fired for "poor performance" they literally will promote anyone willing to take the higher title but will them tell them that they will be "reviewed after 90 days" for a potential raise. 100 days later you will send emails and call whoever your "Senior Regional Manager" is relentlessly about your promised review and raise (all of whom are where they're at because of their friendship with ownership) and they will hide from you. When you finally do get them on the phone they will, and painfully obviously, make up an excuse on the fly (low membership sales, low Personal Training sales, etc) why you won't get a raise and then they'll tell you to wait another 90 days where the cycle is simply repeated.

While other gyms are opening up all over the place like Planet, Zip, Orange Theory and Blast, these guys keep closing locations. You're constantly having to be the punching bag for customers that want to know why the gyms are falling apart yet Charter continues to collect $39 annual fees that they want us to tell people that join "we charge this fee in order to make sure we are able to provide you quality service now and in the future." Yeah, real quality service when they've never hired entry level employees at more than minimum wage (unless it was a friend of upper management), they haven't raised the manager hourly salary which is $10/hr, and they haven't given tenured GM's raises in literally years. When I left the company last year my last raise was in 2009. Horrendous decisions made at the Ownership or Senior Regional Manager Level that anyone with a brain can determine that it is BAD for customers. Then they don't want to field the complaints and make the club level employees deal with the fallout while they hide. Pathetic.

I witnessed several cases of sexual harassment by members of management that absolutely NOTHING was done about. General Managers that were habitual sexual harassers were simply transferred to another location in order to sweep it under the rug, so as long as they had a personal connection with ownership or upper management. Others that did not have this connection that were merely suspected of the same infraction were terminated and then the company would go on a comical kick about how sexual harassment is wrong. Total joke. Like watching Keystone Capers.

I could go on but anyone reading this should get the simple, direct point that this place should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. I would rather be homeless than work for this company again. Basically, if you want to work for a "company" that pays horribly, doesn't give health benefits or 401k of any kind, does not give out raises, offers NO career path, makes you deal with disgruntled customer after disgruntled customer, only hear from your incompetent senior regional manager when personal training sales are "too low", be forced to work 45 hours a week, only 9 PTO days with no sick time, horrible gyms that are far behind the competition with aging equipment that is breaking down, and an owner that will tell you to your face after years of hard work that you're "replaceable", then by all means, apply, and good luck to you.

I've got no advice at all because you're never going to understand how to properly treat a workforce and your company seemingly is going down the tubes as a result. Nothing will change because you and ownership don't have the know-how to treat a workforce and customers properly enough to insure success otherwise your company wouldn't be on its heels. I would be ASHAMED if I behaved in a similar manner even for a month, let alone the years it has gone on.

Great experience, learn how to sell PT

Current Employee - Personal Trainer
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer

I have been working at Charter Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cheap training- affordable
    Flexible
    Gym to workout at

Cons

Not enough hours
    No raises
    Low pay

Actually my management is very well put together

More cons then pros

I have been working at Charter Fitness

Pros

Same thing everyday and free membership

Cons

Long hours, low pay, no growth , most efforts are overshadowed , strict on personal training session sales, no rewards

Appreciate your employees better,

Great Starting Place

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Charter Fitness part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent Place to begin your fitness career.
    The prices are dirt cheap and you make at least or more than half of what a client pays.
    Great stepping stone.

Cons

You will never be that trainer making 75 an hour, just remember a good place for experience.
    Nothing a trainer wouldn't experience else where.

Stay connected with employees about more opportunity. It will make employees feel there is room for growth. I have been working at charter for about six months and haven't heard once about growth opportunities.

Extremely dissatisfied, not appreciated, over it

I have been working at Charter Fitness part-time

Pros

Networking, meeting new people, helping members achieve their goals and getting to be apart of that.

Cons

Not appreciated by upper management, extremely low pay for work and hours required. Extremely short shifts and for regular employees not a lot of hours offered.

give those employees who deserve it a raise. Those employees that basically live at the gym and bend over backwards to help you out! You might see an improvement in the work quality. If you're paying an employee who works over 30 hours a week minimum wage, you're probably going to get minimum effort.