Charter Fitness Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
2.3
Dan Collins

1. Working at Charter Fitness had both its ups and downs but the corporate managers are terrible.

I worked at Charter Fitness

Pros

-Can have a positive influence on people's lives
    -Good ability to network
    -Free gym membership

Cons

-Dealing with customers who expect more than the basic membership they pay for
    -Upper management cares less about the customers and more about getting paid
    -Upper management doesn't stop General Managers from performing shady business tactics

Advice to Management

Care more about your customers and less about trying to make a profit, it'll help in the long run. Keep better tabs on your General Managers who perform shady business tactics because of fear of getting fired.

2. Poor leadership, poor business model, poor customer service practicesand poor business decisions almost on a daily basis

Former Employee - General Manager in Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Literally speaking, NONE. You get a free membership, but truthfully speaking you can be active and exercise regularly without a gym membership. I'm reaching now, but the only other one I can think of is that you have at least 100 members you can tell how disgruntled you are to where at least one of them may offer or recommend you for a better job like that happened to me thankfully.

Cons

Where do I begin? Incompetency from the owners all the down through the senior managers that. The owners continuously make poor decisions that end up hurting reputation with customers. When business plummets, you become the fall guy. The senior level managers are widely known to do absolutely NOTHING. It's only after they get off a tiraded conference call from the owner that they then start making moves to make it look like they really care which they don't. But because they're personal friends with the owners their jobs are safe. Ask for a raise, "prove yourself and we'll talk again in 90 days." When you follow up they avoid you despite the fact that you KNOW they're doing NOTHING. Then when you bump into them by chance 6 months later they tell you "oh I went to bat for you but the owner is being a (insert insult here) and turned it down. If you want to make more money just make sure you hit your personal training sales bonuses." Mind you this is all the while you get NO HEALTH INSURANCE, no benefits of any kind.

Advice to Management

shake up your entire upper management team. NONE of them are competent to be leaders or make basic business decisions. Even then, ownership suffers from the same issues. If you want your workforce in your locations to stop bad mouthing you to members every chance they get look for ways to take better care of them and stop going out of your way looking for new ways to mistreat them. Also, drop the egoism or make SENSIBLE changes to your model. Your product is NOT the best in the fitness industry. Not even close.

3. Laid back place to work, management is a joke

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Peoria, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

set own schedule, laid back atmosphere, free membership

Cons

management has no leadership skills, company falsely sets up bonus infrastructure

5. "Thought it was different, but its not"

Former Employee - Club Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Club Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the equipment that we could provide the members along with a clean facility.

Cons

Upper management has very limited business sense. They will make rash decisions if they a re in a rush to leave.

Advice to Management

Apply to business school!

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Charter Fitness full-time

Pros

You get to work face to face with members and help all types reach healthy goals

Cons

SRM blame,blame,blame. Don't want to help nor upgrade! SRM never comes to club to see what really goes on in the club, but tell everyone that he does! You give all you got and all you get back his negativity. The only good you get is experience to put on resume while you look for another job! Never pay raise. Have never met the owners of the club, they haven't stepped foot in the gym for years!There is no communicating with this company, it always your fault. I do believe they are not out for the best interest of the members. SRM needs to get of his butt and perform in his job for the good of his employees he is suppose to protect, however he is just a "YES" sir man!

Advice to Management

Check on your SRM's. If something isn't to your standards or the numbers aren't what you like to see. Don't just go by what the SRM says, call your general managers and find out the truth! Check up on the conditions of your club!!!! Members are your paycheck, you don't take what their concerns are serious, you lose members! This is the case in this club!!! Build it and they will come! Don't maintain and they will leave!

7. Personal Trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sycamore, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibile schedule, good pay, constantly changing schedule (allows free time)

Cons

Sales job with sales expectations, very routine

Advice to Management

Allow successful trainers the opportunity to make more money

A good place to get started

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Low barrier to entry. Huge volume of new members to refine your sales process on.

Cons

Hourly employees not motivated. General lack of commitment to the position and facility in general. Clientele can be difficult to work with. Little incentive to go above and beyond.

Advice to Management

None of the employees understand the mission of the organization. There are no core values to uphold. You need to lead with a vision.

What a pitiful and HORRID place to work. Pathetic and unbearable.

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not much to say really. I guess one perk would be that you get a membership for free that otherwise costs the general public $10 per month. The only pros that you get are the ones you create for yourself (like working out on the clock for example) because this company does NOTHING to reward their staff.

Cons

This section will be paraphrased because there is literally an endless list when it comes to the negative aspects of this pathetic excuse for a company. First of all, there is absolutely ZERO career path. Just a false sense of one up until you get to General Manager, in which case you are constantly lied to along the way regarding performance reviews and raises. When someone leaves the company or is fired for "poor performance" they literally will promote anyone willing to take the higher title but will them tell them that they will be "reviewed after 90 days" for a potential raise. 100 days later you will send emails and call whoever your "Senior Regional Manager" is relentlessly about your promised review and raise (all of whom are where they're at because of their friendship with ownership) and they will hide from you. When you finally do get them on the phone they will, and painfully obviously, make up an excuse on the fly (low membership sales, low Personal Training sales, etc) why you won't get a raise and then they'll tell you to wait another 90 days where the cycle is simply repeated.

While other gyms are opening up all over the place like Planet, Zip, Orange Theory and Blast, these guys keep closing locations. You're constantly having to be the punching bag for customers that want to know why the gyms are falling apart yet Charter continues to collect $39 annual fees that they want us to tell people that join "we charge this fee in order to make sure we are able to provide you quality service now and in the future." Yeah, real quality service when they've never hired entry level employees at more than minimum wage (unless it was a friend of upper management), they haven't raised the manager hourly salary which is $10/hr, and they haven't given tenured GM's raises in literally years. When I left the company last year my last raise was in 2009. Horrendous decisions made at the Ownership or Senior Regional Manager Level that anyone with a brain can determine that it is BAD for customers. Then they don't want to field the complaints and make the club level employees deal with the fallout while they hide. Pathetic.

I witnessed several cases of sexual harassment by members of management that absolutely NOTHING was done about. General Managers that were habitual sexual harassers were simply transferred to another location in order to sweep it under the rug, so as long as they had a personal connection with ownership or upper management. Others that did not have this connection that were merely suspected of the same infraction were terminated and then the company would go on a comical kick about how sexual harassment is wrong. Total joke. Like watching Keystone Capers.

I could go on but anyone reading this should get the simple, direct point that this place should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. I would rather be homeless than work for this company again. Basically, if you want to work for a "company" that pays horribly, doesn't give health benefits or 401k of any kind, does not give out raises, offers NO career path, makes you deal with disgruntled customer after disgruntled customer, only hear from your incompetent senior regional manager when personal training sales are "too low", be forced to work 45 hours a week, only 9 PTO days with no sick time, horrible gyms that are far behind the competition with aging equipment that is breaking down, and an owner that will tell you to your face after years of hard work that you're "replaceable", then by all means, apply, and good luck to you.

Advice to Management

I've got no advice at all because you're never going to understand how to properly treat a workforce and your company seemingly is going down the tubes as a result. Nothing will change because you and ownership don't have the know-how to treat a workforce and customers properly enough to insure success otherwise your company wouldn't be on its heels. I would be ASHAMED if I behaved in a similar manner even for a month, let alone the years it has gone on.

10. Great experience, learn how to sell PT

Current Employee - Personal Trainer
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer

I have been working at Charter Fitness part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cheap training- affordable
    Flexible
    Gym to workout at

Cons

Not enough hours
    No raises
    Low pay

Advice to Management

Actually my management is very well put together

More cons then pros

I have been working at Charter Fitness

Pros

Same thing everyday and free membership

Cons

Long hours, low pay, no growth , most efforts are overshadowed , strict on personal training session sales, no rewards

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees better,