Charter Fitness

1 Rating

Personal Trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sycamore, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibile schedule, good pay, constantly changing schedule (allows free time)

Cons

Sales job with sales expectations, very routine

Allow successful trainers the opportunity to make more money

A good place to get started

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Low barrier to entry. Huge volume of new members to refine your sales process on.

Cons

Hourly employees not motivated. General lack of commitment to the position and facility in general. Clientele can be difficult to work with. Little incentive to go above and beyond.

None of the employees understand the mission of the organization. There are no core values to uphold. You need to lead with a vision.

What a pitiful and HORRID place to work. Pathetic and unbearable.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not much to say really. I guess one perk would be that you get a membership for free that otherwise costs the general public $10 per month. The only pros that you get are the ones you create for yourself (like working out on the clock for example) because this company does NOTHING to reward their staff.

Cons

This section will be paraphrased because there is literally an endless list when it comes to the negative aspects of this pathetic excuse for a company. First of all, there is absolutely ZERO career path. Just a false sense of one up until you get to General Manager, in which case you are constantly lied to along the way regarding performance reviews and raises. When someone leaves the company or is fired for "poor performance" they literally will promote anyone willing to take the higher title but will them tell them that they will be "reviewed after 90 days" for a potential raise. 100 days later you will send emails and call whoever your "Senior Regional Manager" is relentlessly about your promised review and raise (all of whom are where they're at because of their friendship with ownership) and they will hide from you. When you finally do get them on the phone they will, and painfully obviously, make up an excuse on the fly (low membership sales, low Personal Training sales, etc) why you won't get a raise and then they'll tell you to wait another 90 days where the cycle is simply repeated.

While other gyms are opening up all over the place like Planet, Zip, Orange Theory and Blast, these guys keep closing locations. You're constantly having to be the punching bag for customers that want to know why the gyms are falling apart yet Charter continues to collect $39 annual fees that they want us to tell people that join "we charge this fee in order to make sure we are able to provide you quality service now and in the future." Yeah, real quality service when they've never hired entry level employees at more than minimum wage (unless it was a friend of upper management), they haven't raised the manager hourly salary which is $10/hr, and they haven't given tenured GM's raises in literally years. When I left the company last year my last raise was in 2009. Horrendous decisions made at the Ownership or Senior Regional Manager Level that anyone with a brain can determine that it is BAD for customers. Then they don't want to field the complaints and make the club level employees deal with the fallout while they hide. Pathetic.

I witnessed several cases of sexual harassment by members of management that absolutely NOTHING was done about. General Managers that were habitual sexual harassers were simply transferred to another location in order to sweep it under the rug, so as long as they had a personal connection with ownership or upper management. Others that did not have this connection that were merely suspected of the same infraction were terminated and then the company would go on a comical kick about how sexual harassment is wrong. Total joke. Like watching Keystone Capers.

I could go on but anyone reading this should get the simple, direct point that this place should be AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. I would rather be homeless than work for this company again. Basically, if you want to work for a "company" that pays horribly, doesn't give health benefits or 401k of any kind, does not give out raises, offers NO career path, makes you deal with disgruntled customer after disgruntled customer, only hear from your incompetent senior regional manager when personal training sales are "too low", be forced to work 45 hours a week, only 9 PTO days with no sick time, horrible gyms that are far behind the competition with aging equipment that is breaking down, and an owner that will tell you to your face after years of hard work that you're "replaceable", then by all means, apply, and good luck to you.

I've got no advice at all because you're never going to understand how to properly treat a workforce and your company seemingly is going down the tubes as a result. Nothing will change because you and ownership don't have the know-how to treat a workforce and customers properly enough to insure success otherwise your company wouldn't be on its heels. I would be ASHAMED if I behaved in a similar manner even for a month, let alone the years it has gone on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, learn how to sell PT

Current Employee - Personal Trainer
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer

I have been working at Charter Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Cheap training- affordable
    Flexible
    Gym to workout at

Cons

Not enough hours
    No raises
    Low pay

Actually my management is very well put together

More cons then pros

I have been working at Charter Fitness

Pros

Same thing everyday and free membership

Cons

Long hours, low pay, no growth , most efforts are overshadowed , strict on personal training session sales, no rewards

Appreciate your employees better,

Great Starting Place

Current Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Charter Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Place to begin your fitness career.
    The prices are dirt cheap and you make at least or more than half of what a client pays.
    Great stepping stone.

Cons

You will never be that trainer making 75 an hour, just remember a good place for experience.
    Nothing a trainer wouldn't experience else where.

Stay connected with employees about more opportunity. It will make employees feel there is room for growth. I have been working at charter for about six months and haven't heard once about growth opportunities.

Extremely dissatisfied, not appreciated, over it

I have been working at Charter Fitness part-time

Pros

Networking, meeting new people, helping members achieve their goals and getting to be apart of that.

Cons

Not appreciated by upper management, extremely low pay for work and hours required. Extremely short shifts and for regular employees not a lot of hours offered.

give those employees who deserve it a raise. Those employees that basically live at the gym and bend over backwards to help you out! You might see an improvement in the work quality. If you're paying an employee who works over 30 hours a week minimum wage, you're probably going to get minimum effort.

A company built on lies, cover-ups, and overall bad people

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Charter Fitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was able to be a GM for over 4 years and probably only worked about 20 hours a week. I clocked myself in, left the facility, and came back hours later to clock out. The reason you can do this, is bc your SRMs are stupid, don't care, and really won't speak to you unless there is a problem. I was able to do my school work any day of the week, work out during my shifts, search for other jobs, and go to job interviews all while on the clock. The job is a joke, and I treated it like such.

Cons

There are many cover ups. I reported sexual harrassment and nothing happened bc my boss and the culprit were BFF. I was promised pay raises, and then not given them, even when I would show the email in which i was told I would receive one. The PTO or lack there of is a joke. You only get 40 hours a year, and if you are sick, then you must use one of those days. There is no insurance, no benefits, and no retirement. I would say that this company could best be describd as a Stalinist socialist ran company. I would never allow any of my family members to work there, and if my kids ever work at a place such as this, I will pay them to not work there while they look for another job. I ended up finding another job, I left without burning bridges, and kept my mouth shut, but if I was able to do a news report and show the inner workings of the business, I would be an award-winning journalist that would rival any live to catch a predator, undercover boss, etc shows.

How do you go to sleep at night? How do you have any pride in what you do, or what you are a part of? I guess when I truely look at it, eventually the company will be no more, or your jobs will be no more, and when you are required to apply for jobs that were not handed to you simply bc you were buddies with the scum bag owner, you will see that your work ethic and morals will have made you unhireable in a real world job.

It is a great place to work while in school.

Current Employee - Part Time Manager  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Part Time Manager in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Charter Fitness

Pros

It is not too difficult of a job to have while you're in school. It is a very clean facility and the employees there are very fun and welcoming. The crowd of members is a little bit older which makes it a little bit more comforting to work around there.

Cons

It is hard to get a day off of work, there aren't any vacation days or days were you can call of sick. You always need to find someone to trade a shift for you or even cover for you.

Management is very laid back there, they train you and expect you to follow protocol. Which you should, because it is not a very difficult job role there. So just do your job and everything will go fine.

I learned a little but not as much as I would have liked to. Disappointed in the leadership.

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Warren, MI

I worked at Charter Fitness

Pros

Dealing with and helping people. Learned about exercise equipment and how to operate a gym. Helped me build a resume and get a job that offered better pay and benefits.

Cons

Too much stuff happens on the fly. Would constantly get in trouble by reps at the office for making mistakes that I had no idea were mistakes until it was too late because you get next to no training. My "regional manager" was a nice guy but when he DID visit the gym he was more concerned with enjoying the "scenery" (including some of his own workers) and treating the gym like it was a rest home rather than trying to help his "managers" understand the gym industry better. Needless to say, I didn't really learn much at all. I got the impression that the gym was not doing very good business wise because they sell cheap memberships with very little money down so the learning curve was rather slow. I assume this would also explain why the pay wasn't great but health insurance would have been nice at least.

You will never keep people that want to make this their career if you don't offer to help them learn the skills they need. Part of that is making sure that the people that are supposebly there to help you are able to do that or at least show an interest in doing so.

Worked for Charter Fitness? Contribute to the Community!