Charter Schools USA

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jonathan K. Hage

Pros:
  • "limited district involvement; dedicated teachers"
    in 3 reviews
  • "You will meet some great teachers who you can collaborate with"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some district teachers/administrators place blame on subs when teachers leave inadequate lesson plans etc"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Pay and work-load for pay received"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sub

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
    North Lauderdale, FL

ProsThe pay and opportunity to succeed.

ConsThe lack of hours through out the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can not think of anything too critical.

Uphill climb, Downhill toss

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay was excellent, benefits were excellent. I learned so much, and really enjoyed being part of the education of our future. I still miss the work I did, and the relationships built during my 4 years with them! They have a good thing going, their educational product is great, and I have many times promoted them to parents looking for an alternative to public schools! As with any job, there will be challenges, many of witch I enjoyed. If offered a position, I would consider going back, and that is how much I enjoyed my time with them!

ConsYou have a career one day, and the next, its gone! I agree with other reviews, very disorganized! Any attempts to organize, seem to be viewed as "sitting backwards on the bus". At least in our department, they just wanted to grow grow grow. Open door policy, closed minds behind the door, or, even worse, open the door, and a caged tiger behind the desk. One day, I was the manager of a department I helped build, the next, I was traveling home unemployed with only sub standard severance. I also had to jump through hoops to obtain bonus pay owed. (which they did pay) Always knew I had to cover my behind..no one, even the individuals thought to be "friends" had your back! Yes, work for this company, be part of something great, but, never let your guard down, and keep your home/work life balance in check! They won't care that you have given 3/4 of your life to the cause, when one person discredits you and they let you go! Never think that the people you work with, are your friends...I had many friends, that disappeared instantly in one day!

Advice to Senior ManagementFix issues as they arise, listen to all employees, the ones in the field can give the best feedback to help the future of the company! Just this simple suggestion will ease or erase the growing pains!

Up and down, currently trending down.

ProsPersonally able to maintain work/life balance, although not true for other employees

ConsUpper levels of management not willing to take ownership of problems, instead passing them down to the lowest levels, where the employees are unable to institute change, but are held responsible for problems not being solved.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe high turnover may not be the employees' fault.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run. Run fast.

Secondary Teacher (Current Employee)
    Bonita Springs, FL

ProsSupportive coworkers in a high-stress, micromanaged environment.

ConsEverything. Class size. Planning time. Corporate priorities. No support for teachers from administration, and they have the wrong priorities for everyone--students, teachers, schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I hope privatized, for-profit education fails miserably.

Frustrating

Elementary Teacher (Former Employee)
    Coral Springs, FL

ProsMost of the people I have worked with on my grade level team and throughout the building are absolutely lovely. There is a base of people who can support you while dealing with the pitfalls CSUSA has to offer.

ConsIf you are a CSUSA employee be prepared to defend yourself at all times as to why not every waking minute of your day isn't spent working. If you are planning on leaving before 4:00 someone will usually make a comment to you on your way out "Really working hard, huh!" Teachers can only earn praise depending how long they spend in the building, rather than being effective educators and support systems for students.

There is hardly any support from administration in regards to curriculum concerns in the classroom. Praise is very rare and generally you are told a number of ways you can do something better rather. School motto should be "document everything solve nothing"

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to make sure your people know they are assets, provide people the chance to grow into their own styles and methods instead of having all teachers operate the same way.

Good

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsLove the teacher professional relationship...the company is students first so parents are pls with the open door policy that exist

ConsN/a the company is structure to try and provide great customer service to parents and it's a charter school smaller management

Run for the Hills!

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Port St Lucie, FL

ProsI do not have a positive review to provide.

ConsTeachers are rude and cowards. Teachers and administrators are disrespectful with no consequences for their behavior.The company is very corrupt when it comes to funds. Teachers have to sign an intention form without annual salary until they figure it out. I work more than 80 hours a week for a salary that is less than 30% of what the local district pays. Students know there will not be any follow through so why should they follow the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is very disorganized and pays extremely low as compared to the district. Because of the treatment I received from not only from the support center but teachers within the school I worked at I will not longer be an educator any capacity. I will be returning to school to obtain my BSN this summer. It is actually sad because I truly loved education and had a true passion.

Go for a School District After your First Year

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThey are open to hire new teachers.

ConsAfter your first year, try...try to get a position at a district. Teachers at charter schools only work there because they can't or don't feel that they can work for a district. Many teachers at charter schools are new. Charter Schools USA minimizes a teachers position when, in fact, the teacher makes a world of difference. I work for Charter Schools USA and my principal is so mean that I feel worried about my teaching position even though I dedicate 40+ hours plus the hours I work to perfect my lesson plans (to their standards). Unfortunately the fear I feel has a VERY negative affect on my creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour principals have too much power and lead by fear. Unfortunately, I work for Charter Schools USA and the principal constantly reminds us that she can fire us on a moments notice. This organization says that they put the students first but when teacher turnover is so high (sometimes four different teachers within a year)
     the students and the parents lack trust within the school.

Awesome!!

Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsBest company I have ever worked for! You can go so far with Charter Schools USA!
    Best people I have ever worked with!

ConsNon ethat I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

One negative experience!

Fort Myers, FL

ProsThere are some nice people that work here.

ConsLittle support, or too little too late. Massive amounts of copying. All inclusive classrooms (ESE,ESOL,etc.), most teachers are not certified to teach in all categories. No behavior support and there is a lot of problem behaviors. Students know that nothing happens (unless it is really bad). Behaviors get worse as the year goes on. On walk-throughs, only the negative seems to be noticed by Principals. Team members will stab you in the back.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not make promises you do not intend to keep. Offer more support for new teachers and do not expect miracles when the support is not in place. Behavior issues are rampant! Do not blame the teachers! Also, look for the positive more than the negative.

Worked for Charter Schools USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Charter Schools USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Charter Schools USA CEO Jonathan K. Hage. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by Charter Schools USA employees.