Charter Schools USA Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Jonathan K. Hage

Pros
  • We have some great teachers on our staff (in 6 reviews)

• limited district involvement; dedicated teachers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some district teachers/administrators place blame on subs when teachers leave inadequate lesson plans etc (in 6 reviews)

• Excessive meetings, ridiculous amount of work, terrible pay (in 3 reviews)

Good People, needs some help

Current Employee - Support Center Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Support Center Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are welcoming and friendly, management is good and there appears to be opportunity for advancement.

Cons

No real performance reviews or bonuses. Benefits aren't great. Managers not allowed to manage their direct reports properly because everything must go to their boss.

Advice to Management

Focus on the larger picture, especially the employees that want to learn and make positive changes for the future.

2. Co Teacher

Current Employee - Co-Teacher in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Co-Teacher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive environment, good relationships between co workers

Cons

None for now. Everything looks really fine at the time

3. Pay is terrible..

Pros

You can focus on each kid for a longer time since the school is smaller unit than public schools. Overall, I enjoy the relationship with students and staff. One thing I love about the school is that it's multi-cultural.

Cons

If you are an experienced educator, I am not sure if this pay is fair. It is WAYYYYY below than what I expected and deserve. I started as a part-time sub. teacher as they needed and then they told me I could become a full-time. I thought it would change my pay to salary base. But they still pay me $10 an hour and this is ridiculous and no negotiable. I teach because I love teaching but if I think about the pay rate, I would have quit a long ago.

5. All about the students

Pros

This network is all about student success and that really is refreshing nowadays. The students come first and the staff come second which is nice.

Cons

Unfortunately, they pay under county. However, this keeps you out of the county where at least in South Florida you are not valued.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and try to pay your teachers what the county your school resides in is paid. Otherwise you are sending a message that us as teachers are not as valuable as the next county teacher.

Teacher

Pros

Very organized. Clean buildings. Great school spirit and it's nice to see a school do so well. Lots of motivation

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of overworked staff. The pay is an insult to experienced educators trying to instill a Love of learning. Cold, heartless administrators with very little lines of communication. The pay should be illegal. Lack of union explains it all

Advice to Management

It's OK to empathize with folks. It won't kill you. Open your mouths and stand up for what is right and don't forget everyone is an individual and not a clone

okay

Current Employee - Analyst in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Miami, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA (Less than a year)

Pros

very nice people work there

Cons

no training, disorganization overall in all departments

Advice to Management

more training

OKay but you'll work a lot more than teachers in Public Schools

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

Pros

Our school had a nice culture .It is run like a business. Run well.Everything works.Teachers care about the kids welfare and are nice to the students.

Cons

Corporate tells the Principals to keep innovating which means every year there is yet "another" program to implement.Teachers go to a multitude of meetings, work way longer hours than they should because of these special "programs".Teachers must come in during summer vacation without pay.Don't know if this is legal but they have cut our summer vacation short without extra pay for 4 or 5 years now.

Advice to Management

Stop the horrible kick off meeting that everyone hates.Especially the stupid mandatory cheering. Makes the teachers feel like idiots.Match more with the 401K.At least give raises that meet what the next year's health care is going to cost. Get a better substitute system.Very hard on teachers to find subs for themselves.Stop trying to push the schools to be everything.Relax if the school is doing well.Stop micromanaging with site visits.

9. superior culture

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time

Pros

there is great support for teachers

Cons

high expectations, really high standards

Advice to Management

great company to work for

CSUSA

Current Employee - Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

belief in student education, great advancement opportunity

Cons

No loyalty (is corporate), benefits are terrible

Advice to Management

Support your teachers and admin to get continuity in your schools.

Loyal to their own

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very loyal to their own. Once you are in their good graces, the company does everything they can to help you.

Cons

Very loyal to their own. Unfortunately, the company does not look at the talent of the individual until you have proven you are loyal for at least 5 years with the company. Advancement is very difficult and the pay is way below the average in the county. Payroll is never correct, and may incompetent people maintain positions of leadership that should not be.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping the talented and effective staff that you currently have, and avoid keeping or advancing those that are not as effective just because they have been with the company. Not everything in education can be learned from on-the-job experience.

RSS Feed </> Embed