Charter Schools USA

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014

2.5

Jonathan K. Hage

Pros
  • limited district involvement; dedicated teachers (in 3 reviews)

• You will meet some great teachers who you can collaborate with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some district teachers/administrators place blame on subs when teachers leave inadequate lesson plans etc (in 5 reviews)

• Company does not believe in work-life balance, they believe if you are awake you should be working for them (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Unprofessional Environment

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Tamarac, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Tamarac, FL

Pros

The teachers are great! Front office staff is very helpful. The maintenance crew is awesome! Time off, for the most part, is great!

Cons

Everything! Administration - if they are going to play favorites, they should not make it so obvious. If they are going to criticize you for something you have (or haven't) done, they need to make sure that they have not done the same thing. If they are going to have an open door policy, it needs to be open to ALL and not just a select few. If you ask for help with behavior problems, admin should not come in to your room and ask "what have you done to provoke this behavior?" or "why can't you control your students?" And, if they do remove the child from the room, don't bring them to the office and reward them with games, treats or your ipad! When a parent calls because their child received a consequence, don't make the teachers feel as if they need to defend themselves.
    Supplies - especially paper....if you really need it and your parents don't donate it, you need to buy it. Text/workbooks are few and far between.

We are asked to fill out both mid year and end of the year surveys. Share them with the staff and then ask what can be done to make things better. And then, listen to your employees. You have such a great group of talented professionals. When there is a turnover of about 30%, there has to be a reason for this. Open your eyes (and your ears) and take a look around. Instead of micromanaging and putting the emphasis on the "mega binder"and a minute-by-minute agenda, ask the teachers what you can do to assist them.

Not for the weak hearted

Pros

There is leeway to innovate without the normal bureaucratic red tape

Cons

That leeway is stymied by senior management at times

Allow the leaders you selected to lead, stop micromanaging every decision

Overworked and Underpaid

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Saint Cloud, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Saint Cloud, FL

Pros

Company ideals are great. Company seems focused on providing a quality education at the corporate level.

Cons

Schools get less money than public schools so salaries are low. Teacher turnover at my school was very high. About half the staff turned over during the school year. Very little in the way of technology and resources.

Better pay and better resources.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sub

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  North Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in North Lauderdale, FL

Pros

The pay and opportunity to succeed.

Cons

The lack of hours through out the year.

I can not think of anything too critical.

Charter Schools USA is a BUSINESS....profit first! No different than Macy's or McDonald's.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL

Pros

Absolutely no pros working there.

Cons

Charter Schools USA is categorized as a "foreign for-profit corporation"....Teaching make such a low low salary....they start teaching at $34,000, and no compensation for level of education or work experience. They ALWAYS need teachers at Charter Schools USA because of their low wages, no raises, lack of any benefits, and no pension. Every teacher there has a goal and that is to GET OUT. The school's goals are profit and test scores. That's it. It's all about looking good and good PR, but it's really about making money.....sucking it out of school districts and taking it offshore. If you want to work yourself to death and make peanuts, there's a job waiting for you at Charter Schools USA.

Find a real teaching job.

Corporate Office - Incredibly frustrating place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

The talented and down-to-Earth people that I work closely with.

Cons

VPs and above hire directors and managers but then don't let them do their jobs to the best of their ability. Seems as though every decision within the company must get the OK from the Chief Academic Officer even if it's not in her wheelhouse. She must have her hands and nose in every cookie jar.

Employees are promised everything under the sun with no follow through. Proper annual reviews? I've been here 3+ years and have had only one. No raise, either.

It truly seems that the only way you get promoted here is by being a "yes-man" and not by the ability to lead or innovate, or if they just happen to like you because you're one of "them". They make up job titles just to have the ability to promote senior people.

Turnover is incredibly high and both schools and corporate office.

LISTEN, don't just hear your employees from lower levels. Some of the best ideas will come from those "lower ranks".
    SLOW DOWN. You're growing way too fast to sustain. You're going to fall flat on your faces.
    FOLLOW THROUGH. Do what you say you're going to do. Empty promises over and over again don't give good impressions.

Career Suicide

Pros

Not much positive that I can say.

Cons

Poorly run organization. Instead of allowing Directors to lead, they hire VPs who have no corporate or business experience so that the owners can keep control and micromanage every decision made.

Hire real industry leaders instead of puppets hired to just collect six figure salaries.

Up and down, currently trending down.

Pros

Personally able to maintain work/life balance, although not true for other employees

Cons

Upper levels of management not willing to take ownership of problems, instead passing them down to the lowest levels, where the employees are unable to institute change, but are held responsible for problems not being solved.

The high turnover may not be the employees' fault.

Uphill climb, Downhill toss

Pros

Pay was excellent, benefits were excellent. I learned so much, and really enjoyed being part of the education of our future. I still miss the work I did, and the relationships built during my 4 years with them! They have a good thing going, their educational product is great, and I have many times promoted them to parents looking for an alternative to public schools! As with any job, there will be challenges, many of witch I enjoyed. If offered a position, I would consider going back, and that is how much I enjoyed my time with them!

Cons

You have a career one day, and the next, its gone! I agree with other reviews, very disorganized! Any attempts to organize, seem to be viewed as "sitting backwards on the bus". At least in our department, they just wanted to grow grow grow. Open door policy, closed minds behind the door, or, even worse, open the door, and a caged tiger behind the desk. One day, I was the manager of a department I helped build, the next, I was traveling home unemployed with only sub standard severance. I also had to jump through hoops to obtain bonus pay owed. (which they did pay) Always knew I had to cover my behind..no one, even the individuals thought to be "friends" had your back! Yes, work for this company, be part of something great, but, never let your guard down, and keep your home/work life balance in check! They won't care that you have given 3/4 of your life to the cause, when one person discredits you and they let you go! Never think that the people you work with, are your friends...I had many friends, that disappeared instantly in one day!

Fix issues as they arise, listen to all employees, the ones in the field can give the best feedback to help the future of the company! Just this simple suggestion will ease or erase the growing pains!

Not Turning much of anything around except the staff roster

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Students, many teachers who are trying, in spite of the challenges, to make a difference and actually teach

Cons

Socio Economic and Cultural Mismatch from the top down....teachers lasting less than a day, students out of control and angry because they have so little in comparison to their friends at other schools.

STOP the false advertising with the TV Commercials. Are you all serious? Spend money on the students who are there and are suffering, not to recruit other unknowing souls via TV promotion.

Worked for Charter Schools USA? Contribute to the Community!