Charter Schools USA

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.3

Jonathan K. Hage

Pros
  • Great Teachers, Good Learning environment, good location for a school (in 6 reviews)

• Dedicated teachers, loving students, nice buildings (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some district teachers/administrators place blame on subs when teachers leave inadequate lesson plans etc (in 6 reviews)

• Excessive meetings, ridiculous amount of work, terrible pay (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic network of support!!

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined the CSUSA after many years in the public school sector. I can truly say that this organization puts students first. Being a part of the larger CSUSA team that is spread out over 7 states is phenomenal. There is always a person or a team there to provide support when you need it. The professional development opportunities are fantastic as well as the opportunities for growth within the company!

Cons

I don't have any Cons for my experiences with CSUSA.

Good Experience

I worked at Charter Schools USA

Pros

Work atmosphere was conducive to learning

Cons

Too many regulations to follow

Listen to your employees.

Great team united behind putting students first!

Current Employee - Principal in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Principal in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The education model is second to none, researchbased best practices are in place, support is provided for staff, resources are excellent, and the professional development is outstanding. I have been an educator for 20 years and worked for one of the largest, top performing, districts in the country. I have never worked for a disttict or organization that is as well functioning, mission driven, and professional as CSUSA. For some people the high level of expectations may be a paradigm shift because most public school districts lack any level of accountability or cohesion. I for one love to be challeged, enjoy the high expectation, and appreciate the personal and professional rewards of being associated with this organization.

Cons

I do work very long hours and often on the weekend, however I now much of this is because of the school being new. It takes at least 3 years to get a school up and established, so I came into this knowing that it would be challenging.

Cutting edge company willing to invest in positive, hardworking people

Current Employee - School Leadership in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - School Leadership in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every day is a new day. We get to invest in the education of children and make huge impacts in kids' lives now that will carry through their futures.

Cons

It's not about "easy.". If you don't like to work, this is not the place for you.

Keep up the support and don't be afraid to challenge the ways you do things.

Great Company to work for!

I have been working at Charter Schools USA

Pros

Supportive team with opportunities to grow.They have created a nice balance of professionalism and culture. It is warm, friendly, and very professional with an emphasis on team and greatness.

Cons

I have no cons for this company

A nightmare

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Cape Coral, FL
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Cape Coral, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA

Pros

Teachers are caring and hard working. Technology is fun to use in the classroom.

Cons

No work life balance. Ridiculous expectations on teachers and students that have nothing to do with learning. Most "successful" teachers put in 10-13 hour days and are looking for work else where. This is a corporation don't kid yourself. They care about the bottom line... not student or teacher growth. This is NOT a fun place to work. .

Stop worrying about making money and start making this a fun place to learn. The money will follow. Have fast follow-through on troubled students so that they may be placed in appropriate class/school. Stop cheating ESOL, gifted, and ESE students out of pull out classes.

Run

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They give you a livable wage. Job security is almost guaranteed as long as you don't have brain damage. Once they train you, they do their best to keep you along for the ride.

Cons

There is no time to live with the wage they give you. If you like having nightmares about deadlines and still getting asked to do more, this is the place to be. Pay scales are not appropriate across departments. You get what you demand and have the ammo bargain for, not what your incredible workload might dictate. Everyone is given a laptop so that if something doesn't get done on time, they can ask why you didn't work from home, which is what I've been doing on a daily basis. It's caused massive problems outside of work, with family and friends constantly noting the change in my presence and attitude. Family talks while I stare into space thinking about the mountain of work to do. I rush through meals and can barely eat in the first place from the stress. Coworkers are toxic and unskilled. Due to the lack of proper staff, it's dog eat dog. People will press your face in the dirt to maintain their ego and superiority in the eyes of their boss. Toxic employees are kept around because they're typically the cornerstones of the department. They have few skills or natural aptitude, no people skills, but just because they haven't been able to find another job in half a decade (any surprise there?) they are leaned on and given way too much deference. They also tout that everything is about the students, which is patently false. I noticed early on that the school ops department is one of the smallest in the building. Some of the largest? Business development, finance, strategy. A clear indicator that their focus is more about opening more schools to line their pockets than caring for ones that already exist.

Learn what your employees do, and how opening 10 schools a year affects their workload. This is roughly a 15-20% direct increase in work for those actually caring for opened schools. There is no 15-20% increase in pay or department size per year so... what exactly is the long-term plan, other than collect state enrollment money until everything goes down the tubes?

School Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic Staff. Family and Team oriented. Students and Parents come first.

Cons

Long hours, but just like any other job.

Offer better 401K so people will stay on longer

This place is a nightmare

I have been working at Charter Schools USA

Pros

Great teachers to work with. Dedicated to helping kids

Cons

The Company will wear you out. They never have a nice thing to say about or do for the teachers. They didn't tell most schools until late October early November what returning teachers would be making for the year. Then the raises were a joke - barely livable wage. The owners care only about making their next dollar and next photo op within the political community.

Stop with the lip service. Try showing your teachers you care. It's not about the kids, the teachers, or the staff for you guys...it's about the money and that's it...

Sad.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It started out great with beautiful classrooms, "friendly" administration and office staff, uniforms, tons of homework.... I worked for a company and had my child at a school that I thought was too good to be true....turns out that it is

Cons

Teachers constantly look over their shoulder to see if self-appointed "professional" administrators are around. This company is all about looks and pandering to the public. The child's head is money going directly into the CEO's pockets.

I started out thinking that this is the future of education; now I am taking my child out, and we are running back to our zoned district school.

The problem kids are continually kept in the school and exceptions are made for them, while the good kids have to suffer the constant distractions of disruptive behavior. How is this right to anyone??? The teacher, the students, parents, and the taxpayers (you and me)??? Kids that have physically harmed other students and teachers are still there.... With open arms from management....

I have found myself questioning so many things, and it's only November. Plus, the turnover for teachers has been ridiculous. They get a new one, and the teacher will put in a resignation but the administration always "asks for resignation" to the staff when it comes to light that the teacher is leaving.....

I have no advice. You can't change the corrupt elite that have a new way to siphon money from the public. I find myself wanting to say to the administrators and looking them dead in the eye: " you know that this is wrong".