Charter Schools USA

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jonathan K. Hage

Pros
  • limited district involvement; dedicated teachers(in 3 reviews)

• You will meet some great teachers who you can collaborate with(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some district teachers/administrators place blame on subs when teachers leave inadequate lesson plans etc(in 5 reviews)

• Company does not believe in work-life balance, they believe if you are awake you should be working for them(in 3 reviews)

Not for the weak hearted

ProsThere is leeway to innovate without the normal bureaucratic red tape

ConsThat leeway is stymied by senior management at times

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the leaders you selected to lead, stop micromanaging every decision

Sub

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) North Lauderdale, FL

ProsThe pay and opportunity to succeed.

ConsThe lack of hours through out the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can not think of anything too critical.

Overworked and Underpaid

Teacher (Former Employee) Saint Cloud, FL

ProsCompany ideals are great. Company seems focused on providing a quality education at the corporate level.

ConsSchools get less money than public schools so salaries are low. Teacher turnover at my school was very high. About half the staff turned over during the school year. Very little in the way of technology and resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay and better resources.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Up and down, currently trending down.

ProsPersonally able to maintain work/life balance, although not true for other employees

ConsUpper levels of management not willing to take ownership of problems, instead passing them down to the lowest levels, where the employees are unable to institute change, but are held responsible for problems not being solved.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe high turnover may not be the employees' fault.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Uphill climb, Downhill toss

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay was excellent, benefits were excellent. I learned so much, and really enjoyed being part of the education of our future. I still miss the work I did, and the relationships built during my 4 years with them! They have a good thing going, their educational product is great, and I have many times promoted them to parents looking for an alternative to public schools! As with any job, there will be challenges, many of witch I enjoyed. If offered a position, I would consider going back, and that is how much I enjoyed my time with them!

ConsYou have a career one day, and the next, its gone! I agree with other reviews, very disorganized! Any attempts to organize, seem to be viewed as "sitting backwards on the bus". At least in our department, they just wanted to grow grow grow. Open door policy, closed minds behind the door, or, even worse, open the door, and a caged tiger behind the desk. One day, I was the manager of a department I helped build, the next, I was traveling home unemployed with only sub standard severance. I also had to jump through hoops to obtain bonus pay owed. (which they did pay) Always knew I had to cover my behind..no one, even the individuals thought to be "friends" had your back! Yes, work for this company, be part of something great, but, never let your guard down, and keep your home/work life balance in check! They won't care that you have given 3/4 of your life to the cause, when one person discredits you and they let you go! Never think that the people you work with, are your friends...I had many friends, that disappeared instantly in one day!

Advice to Senior ManagementFix issues as they arise, listen to all employees, the ones in the field can give the best feedback to help the future of the company! Just this simple suggestion will ease or erase the growing pains!

Career Suicide

ProsNot much positive that I can say.

ConsPoorly run organization. Instead of allowing Directors to lead, they hire VPs who have no corporate or business experience so that the owners can keep control and micromanage every decision made.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire real industry leaders instead of puppets hired to just collect six figure salaries.

Not Turning much of anything around except the staff roster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsStudents, many teachers who are trying, in spite of the challenges, to make a difference and actually teach

ConsSocio Economic and Cultural Mismatch from the top down....teachers lasting less than a day, students out of control and angry because they have so little in comparison to their friends at other schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP the false advertising with the TV Commercials. Are you all serious? Spend money on the students who are there and are suffering, not to recruit other unknowing souls via TV promotion.

Teacher

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Broward Highlands, FL

ProsTeaching and getting to know students and families. I wish I could say more positive things about this place.

ConsNo innovation. Focus on technology. Lessons are expected to be technology driven. No interaction with some less creative teachers. Competitiveness is encouraged among teachers and grade teams which leads to low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and money on professional development.

Run. Run fast.

Secondary Teacher (Current Employee) Bonita Springs, FL

ProsSupportive coworkers in a high-stress, micromanaged environment.

ConsEverything. Class size. Planning time. Corporate priorities. No support for teachers from administration, and they have the wrong priorities for everyone--students, teachers, schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I hope privatized, for-profit education fails miserably.

Frustrating

Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) Coral Springs, FL

ProsMost of the people I have worked with on my grade level team and throughout the building are absolutely lovely. There is a base of people who can support you while dealing with the pitfalls CSUSA has to offer.

ConsIf you are a CSUSA employee be prepared to defend yourself at all times as to why not every waking minute of your day isn't spent working. If you are planning on leaving before 4:00 someone will usually make a comment to you on your way out "Really working hard, huh!" Teachers can only earn praise depending how long they spend in the building, rather than being effective educators and support systems for students.

There is hardly any support from administration in regards to curriculum concerns in the classroom. Praise is very rare and generally you are told a number of ways you can do something better rather. School motto should be "document everything solve nothing"

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to make sure your people know they are assets, provide people the chance to grow into their own styles and methods instead of having all teachers operate the same way.

Worked for Charter Schools USA? Contribute to the Community!