Charter Schools USA

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.3

Jonathan K. Hage

Pros
  • Great Teachers, Good Learning environment, good location for a school (in 6 reviews)

• Dedicated teachers, loving students, nice buildings (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some district teachers/administrators place blame on subs when teachers leave inadequate lesson plans etc (in 6 reviews)

• Excessive meetings, ridiculous amount of work, terrible pay (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Experience Ever!

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

CSUSA gives great PTO time. You will definitely need it working in this environment.

Cons

Most people are rude and the rudeness trickles from the top down. Unless your at the top apparently you're invisible. This is also an environment where the many managers are not qualified to manage, have little to no work experience and due to their lack of knowledge and experience hire subordinates who's work they steal and pass along as their own. Speaking rudely to subordinates seems to be the norm in this company along with lying.

Management talks a good game to get you motivated to continue to work for their slave wages, but all they care about is lining their own pockets not about you are teaching children. They give minimal salaries (no OT) and expect you to put in 60-80 hour weeks.

Stop hiring your friends and hire qualified people. Also raise your wages for those who really put in the work. People that work full time for you should not be qualified for government assistance programs.

Awful

Former Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None, None, None, None, None,

Cons

Cons the Administration. I have been a teacher for 6 years and have never been involved with an organization as screwed up as this school system. You literally have no time to teach the students because they micro manage every detail of your day filling out forms and recording measurements. Along with having to tutor your students on your days off. I regret the day I took this job.

Let us TEACH and stop the bureaucratic nonsense.

Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Teaching staff is great. Most of the students are good kids. Technology is big but overdone.

Cons

This company expects so much! Agenda boards, 9 pages of lesson plans that take a whole day from your weekend to complete, and so much more! I am totally exhausted. If I wanted to work 12 hour days I would be a nurse and only work 3 days. This company makes EVERYTHING difficult

The company itself is the problem. Treat your staff with respect and realize we have families that time is being taken from due to all your demands!

Blindsided and Brainwashed!

I have been working at Charter Schools USA

Pros

Excellent co-workers and beautiful students!

Cons

I was blindsided on my interview and took a paid cut by accepting offer.
    Then reality cave in a week deep into the new employee training on the "non/negotiables" that are NOT necessary for me to teach and see my students progress! Then BRAINWASHED at the Summit!!!
    HEEELLLPPPPP!!

Get with the latest on education reform!! It is about the students and not about 30 Quest Visits to keep tabs on the teachers!!!

Not for the weak hearted

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is leeway to innovate without the normal bureaucratic red tape

Cons

That leeway is stymied by senior management at times

Allow the leaders you selected to lead, stop micromanaging every decision

Charter Schools USA is a BUSINESS....profit first! No different than Macy's or McDonald's.

Current Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely no pros working there.

Cons

Charter Schools USA is categorized as a "foreign for-profit corporation"....Teaching make such a low low salary....they start teaching at $34,000, and no compensation for level of education or work experience. They ALWAYS need teachers at Charter Schools USA because of their low wages, no raises, lack of any benefits, and no pension. Every teacher there has a goal and that is to GET OUT. The school's goals are profit and test scores. That's it. It's all about looking good and good PR, but it's really about making money.....sucking it out of school districts and taking it offshore. If you want to work yourself to death and make peanuts, there's a job waiting for you at Charter Schools USA.

Find a real teaching job.

Corporate Office - Incredibly frustrating place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The talented and down-to-Earth people that I work closely with.

Cons

VPs and above hire directors and managers but then don't let them do their jobs to the best of their ability. Seems as though every decision within the company must get the OK from the Chief Academic Officer even if it's not in her wheelhouse. She must have her hands and nose in every cookie jar.

Employees are promised everything under the sun with no follow through. Proper annual reviews? I've been here 3+ years and have had only one. No raise, either.

It truly seems that the only way you get promoted here is by being a "yes-man" and not by the ability to lead or innovate, or if they just happen to like you because you're one of "them". They make up job titles just to have the ability to promote senior people.

Turnover is incredibly high and both schools and corporate office.

LISTEN, don't just hear your employees from lower levels. Some of the best ideas will come from those "lower ranks".
    SLOW DOWN. You're growing way too fast to sustain. You're going to fall flat on your faces.
    FOLLOW THROUGH. Do what you say you're going to do. Empty promises over and over again don't give good impressions.

Sub

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in North Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in North Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Charter Schools USA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and opportunity to succeed.

Cons

The lack of hours through out the year.

I can not think of anything too critical.

Overworked and Underpaid

Former Employee - Teacher in Saint Cloud, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Saint Cloud, FL

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company ideals are great. Company seems focused on providing a quality education at the corporate level.

Cons

Schools get less money than public schools so salaries are low. Teacher turnover at my school was very high. About half the staff turned over during the school year. Very little in the way of technology and resources.

Better pay and better resources.

Uphill climb, Downhill toss

I worked at Charter Schools USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was excellent, benefits were excellent. I learned so much, and really enjoyed being part of the education of our future. I still miss the work I did, and the relationships built during my 4 years with them! They have a good thing going, their educational product is great, and I have many times promoted them to parents looking for an alternative to public schools! As with any job, there will be challenges, many of witch I enjoyed. If offered a position, I would consider going back, and that is how much I enjoyed my time with them!

Cons

You have a career one day, and the next, its gone! I agree with other reviews, very disorganized! Any attempts to organize, seem to be viewed as "sitting backwards on the bus". At least in our department, they just wanted to grow grow grow. Open door policy, closed minds behind the door, or, even worse, open the door, and a caged tiger behind the desk. One day, I was the manager of a department I helped build, the next, I was traveling home unemployed with only sub standard severance. I also had to jump through hoops to obtain bonus pay owed. (which they did pay) Always knew I had to cover my behind..no one, even the individuals thought to be "friends" had your back! Yes, work for this company, be part of something great, but, never let your guard down, and keep your home/work life balance in check! They won't care that you have given 3/4 of your life to the cause, when one person discredits you and they let you go! Never think that the people you work with, are your friends...I had many friends, that disappeared instantly in one day!

Fix issues as they arise, listen to all employees, the ones in the field can give the best feedback to help the future of the company! Just this simple suggestion will ease or erase the growing pains!