Chartis Insurance Company
www.chartisinsurance.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Chartis Insurance Company Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Chartis Insurance Company – London – “Sofas in front of meeting rooms”

Chartis Insurance Company CEO Peter D. Hancock

Peter D. Hancock

Pros:
  • "Although some people work from home, there is a sense of community and polite atmosphere around work"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance in certain departments"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management comes down hard on people who do not produce"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Long hours for some with no overtime pay"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

decent place to work

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsPlenty of room for professional advancement and promotion. Many opportunities to move to different departments, functions and geographic locations. Pleasant, helpful and approachable co-workers. Cafeteria on premises is convenient when you don't bring lunch and the weather is bad.

ConsSome managers show blatant favoritism and disrespect which can have very favorable or detrimental impact on job. Can be a brutal place to work if you are not well liked. Heavy workloads.

Great Understanding Management Team

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsThe management team is great and they are really understanding of your social/personal life. Pay is good and the community is tight.

ConsThe only big downside is the fact that people still look down on AIG (Chartis is the renamed property and insurance casualty group of AIG).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are great. You guys are making a huge turnaround for the company. Perhaps an easier way to communicate or meet management would be good.

Most employees--except the new senior leadership--have one foot out the door.

I worked at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsLarge company that offers global opportunities and professional challenges not possible elsewhere. New management trying to create a more professionally managed organization.

ConsNew management is destroying what was unique and good about Chartis and their attempts to restructure the company, improve talent management, diversity, ec. is just window dressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour senior management team aren't leaders and are only looking out for their own careers. You aren't getting a representative view of what is really going on.

Not bad,

Berkeley Heights, NJ

I worked at Chartis Insurance Company

Prosummmmmmmmmmmmmmm......oh, their 401 k is great, when the company is performing well.

Conshealth/dental insurance sucks. NOT an employee friendly enviornment. Good if you're a manager or higher, other than that they treat you like crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Stop being sneaky. Learn to communicate with your employees. Get better operating systems. You should learn to promote people who have experience over people who you "like".

Horrendous

Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsThe salary was decent but that pro is negated with what they require from you.

ConsTerrible Management and Bad politics.

Managers who have no life other than work are on power trips.

If you don't kiss behind you will not get anywhere here. You are treated as a commodity and not a person. They may have changed the name to Chartis from AIG, but they aren't doing anything to help their poor reputation.

This company literally thinks they can own your life. I strongly advise anyone to not seek employment here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave and be replaced!

Great place to learn but pay is fairly low for amount of responsibility expected

Underwriter (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsGreat benefits, 401k plus a pension plan, along with full medical, dental, and vision insurance. Lots of responsibilities are assigned early on. Hours are fairly reasonable.

ConsToo much is expected of the underwriters, who are responsible for everything from major issues down to the most miniscule details. Pay is low for non-managers and non senior staff. Company is top heavy with lots of bureaucracy and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderwriters are the heart and soul of the company and should be treated as such when compensation decisions are made.

Wouldn't recommend

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsOpportunity for promotion, good pay, can work remotely when necessary, travel. Company is attempting to fix its systems.

ConsThe culture is very bitter and not professional, systems are not existent at the moment, processes are not existent. No guidance from leadership, consultants everywhere. Travel. This place is a mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the culture from the top down.

Was Great Before September 2008.

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsGood Compensation and Benefits if you work hard.

ConsToo many managers and not enough workers. People focus on politics more than they care about doing their job. Hard to get time off.

AIG Was great, Chartis is totally unorganized

Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsGood benefits, flexible hours, great employees

ConsPoor management across the board. Management needs to perform their jobs instead of hiring their collegues to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop showing favoritism and let subordinates respect you.

Entreprenurial culture which offers a fantastic environment for career growth.

Vice President (Current Employee)
Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Chartis Insurance Company

ProsEntreprenurial environment with the expectation to run the business as if it were your own. Diverse global network with vast opportunities for career growth.

ConsCulture is not for everyone, not a place for people who need their hands held or constantly praised. It is a place where you need to blaze your own trail.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is on the right track with offering more benefits such as Flexible Work Arrangements and strengthening the performance review process to include a peer review.

Worked for Chartis Insurance Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chartis Insurance Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chartis Insurance Company CEO Peter D. Hancock. All 127 reviews posted anonymously by Chartis Insurance Company employees.