Chartis Insurance Company
www.chartisinsurance.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Chartis Insurance Company Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014
Chartis Insurance Company – London – “Sofas in front of meeting rooms”

Chartis Insurance Company CEO Peter D. Hancock

Peter D. Hancock

Pros:
  • "Although some people work from home, there is a sense of community and polite atmosphere around work"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance in certain departments"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management comes down hard on people who do not produce"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Upper management will work their employees to the bone and could not care less about their problems"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I learned alot and got good experence

Claims Assistant (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsThe benfits are good and meeting different people.

ConsYou deal with a lot of different worker clients, medical, atty, ect

Advice to Senior ManagementGood communication and understanding is a plus

Good Place to Work

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat learning environment. People are always helpful, not too much back stabbing.

ConsPolitics. Like any other company politics plays a large part. If you do not play the game well, advancement may be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your staff.

AIG /Chartis Insurace ok place to work

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

ProsHas potential for growth and pays resonabily well

ConsContractors are treated as second class citizens

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair to contractors as well as employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chartis was a good company with good benefits. Room to grow in the company.

Claims Representative (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. Great working system. Flexible hours and dress code. Looks good on the resume.

ConsSalary besides benefits was a bit down from the competition. Morale dipped during the bailout of 2008.

Advice to Senior ManagementExercise better judgment when dealing with matters between the clients and the carrier. The client is always right we know but don't hang us out to dry just for following company directives.

I enjoy working here but am finding that most manager/ upper level associates are old regime and are idiots

Accountant II (Current Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

ProsThe work life balance can sometimes be good and there are many job opportunities with all idiots that work here

ConsPeople you will work with will not want to do any work and will try to get you to complete others projects which have nothing to do with your role. If you show yourself capable they will ask you to do everything

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to think about changing the Management in the entire accounting organization. Everyone has there own goals and know one actually cares about what needs to be done, only that they hit there assigned goals.

Back office systems are not challenging

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPay is good. People are nice, easy to come up to speed with tasks.

ConsNot challenging. Everything is antiquated. I saw people who still used the old accounting calculators with paper receipts, and there were huge volumes of insurance reports from a mainframe wheeled around on chairs every day.

Advice to Senior Managementi don't think the back office matters that much, so I guess it is what it is.

Mixed. There for 10 yrs in different departments

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits. It is a huge company so they have to comply with the law. You might find a great manager to work with and a superb team, but things change. Eventually, you'll end up with wolves. In the olden days, if you came up with a brilliant business plan for a project or product, you could pitch it and they might well fund it and give you latitude to make it work. If it didn't, your division would be dissolved overnight. If it did, you would be golden. An entrepreneurs dream. I don't know if that model is still in place. All about bottom line though.

ConsNo training, and in my division, only tolerate women barely.
    Very poor management style, totally bottom-line driven
    Work you to death
    Early burnout

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust me, they will never listen.

Worst Compensation Department I've ever seen

Compensation Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Compensation and bonus is generous for comparable positions elsewhere

ConsThe compensation department is poorly managed, highly divisive and hostile. There is a vacuum of leadership, mentoring, training or feedback. The tendancy by upper management is to throw newer staff members into impossible administrative positions, and use these lower-level employees as convenient scapegoats. Year-end planning for 60,000-plus employees is managed without the benefit of any dedicated HR compensation software systems - burdening their staff to work through the night managing virtually thousands of employees vis-a-vis MS Excel spreadsheets. Talent is driven away or terminated for failing to accept the simple fact that quality control is at unacceptably low levels and human errors in this environment are inevitable. As a result this vacuum of leadership the organization has run seriously afoul of current Department of Labor laws and FLSA regulations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake personal responsibility for the fact that the administrative environment requires appropriate administrative support services, training and appropriate technology. Provide your staff with support - not hostility and accusations. Too many talented professionals walk away feeling abused and insulted in a work environment that is wholly your responsibility to correct.

Very unstable company during my years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany with history makes it a good place to work while learning to gain experience. Names likes looks good in a resume.

ConsLack of planning.
    Project managers only checked the dates for the different

Over the last three years used and abused.

Claims Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey have me a chance to jump start my career and, for the first 10 or 11 years it was a terrific place to work. Good management that natured its employees, generally speaking,

ConsThe management team that took over in 2009 is interested in one thing and one thing only: cutting its workforce any it can to produce profits for its shareholders. Thousands of good people with 10, 15, 20 years of good service to the company, dismissed, let go, terminated, under the guise of paying back the government for its loan that kept the company afloat and, after that, in the name of profits to shareholders. Work-life balance under the new management team is nonexistent. Compensation? Chartis/AIG is infamous for underpaying its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange all of the above or you will be left with a bunch of "yes" men and woman who simply drink the kool aid and tell you what you want to hears

Worked for Chartis Insurance Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chartis Insurance Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chartis Insurance Company CEO Peter D. Hancock. All 139 reviews posted anonymously by Chartis Insurance Company employees.