Chartwell Seniors Housing

www.chartwellreit.ca

Chartwell Seniors Housing Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014
Chartwell Seniors Housing – Mississauga – “Chartwell Head Office”

W. Brent Binions

Accounting Analyst

Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat atmosphere, work life balance!

ConsNot innovative, too much manual work

Use to be the place

ProsSome great people still work there, and do their best to live by great values

ConsWhen this company was born, it was a great place to be employed. They genuinely cared about the team, residents and doing the right thing. With the new CEO and COO there is no hope for any of that. It is bottom line driven, fire people of you cant get the revenue, though all analytics point to other factors of the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive your values and mission instead of making it a frame on the wall. All those great PR driven things you do, do not matter if you cant live by it!

Mission, Vision and Values: Nice Words, Not Reality

(Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsI consider my colleagues friends. Everyone generally tries to help one another at peer level. Many opportunities for office social events.

ConsWith the frequent sudden departures, the mantra of "We value commitment to the Chartwell family is a joke - except no one is laughing. There has been a siege mentality created with all the changes. It is very hard to feel secure or valued. Very stressful place to work. If "Compassion is contagious" why so many good people being let go?

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap your values. Why bother with the charade, everyone knows they are meaningless.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very "clicky" atmosphere!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosget to work in an industry where you can help others

Consonly chance of keeping your job and or getting promoted has nothing to do with work ethic, skills, ect. Your future depends soley on the basis of certain VP's liking you or not.

Advice to Senior Managementrun it more like a business and less like a high school and it will prosper

In theory, a great company but poorly managed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsChartwell has good benefits and starts at three weeks vacation with another week added every 5 years (I assume this maxes out at some point). Some departments run like a well oiled machine and you can tell that the employees there are happy and fulfilled.

ConsThe company has grown rapidly in the past year and hasn't kept up with staffing levels, leaving many departments understaffed. Managers tend to focus on following policies to the letter rather than actually solving problems, even when those policies are clearly outdated or not applicable in a particular situation. In my experience, some managers have a nasty habit of tricking contract employees into accepting lower paying jobs at the end of the contract in order to become permanent while keeping them in the higher demand job they did while on contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the staffing levels to where they should be. You can't expect a company to continually grow and not give the homes/departments the support staff they need.

Disappointing

Cook (Current Employee)

ProsFull time Employees get every second weekend off although they prefer to have more part time staff. Working with seniors is a really nice and rewarding thing.

ConsEmployees get horrible raises, bad benefits and are expected to pull a work load much to heavy for the low pay. The company prefers to hire unqualified workers to look after residents so they don't have to pay them as much.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want good staff you need a good pay incentive and qualified staff.

Constant fear of being fired...not a good way to feel

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are quite good, work balance if excellent, vacation time is adequate.

ConsHead Office just doesn't seem to understand sometimes. Too many examples to state

Advice to Senior ManagementLet property level management do their jobs, stop micro managing everything! You hired us for a reason and it wasn't just to sit there and be your yes men/women!

Horrible place to work! Had I known, would have never started there!

Finance Department (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsGood manager had so rare!

ConsManagement chooses not to listen to their own employees, or fire the ones that try to speak! Beware! People working there are so afraid to say a word, Hours are so long and people have to work evenings and weekends if they should remain in good standing...don't know how much longer we can do this!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should work with their team and allow their team members to speak, I have watched them fire the ones that spoke up! Very low moral in this company. They are forced to smile or get fired!

Not a Place to work

General Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsNot that I can think off except common cafeteria and clean washrooms

ConsThis organization truly misrepresents employees they hire. Management treats contractors like dirt and are very discriminatory and racially biased. Very cheap Senior Management and Human Resources is a joke and does not care about workplace harassment or discrimination. Senior Management run this company like their own private establishment and hire and favour whom they like. It is a very cheap organization to work for and there would never be any career progress. It is a disgrace when you keep seeing they exhibit or talk about corporate values of RESPECT which is a joke. Sick mind and sick people and feel sorry for those who live in their residence

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using corporate values of RESPECT. Get out of your nice offices and wake up to reality

Discriminatory Workplace

Manager (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsCant recollect any positive experience except location in Mississauga which was 5 minutes from home and hence commute was good

ConsThe work environment for contractors is bad and are treated without any respect and it is quiet true for minorities. It is a very discriminatory environment and you are not treated for what you are. Very political and I used to often laugh seeing all those internal emails and surveys repeatedly using the word "RESPECT" when it is not true at all. There is this specific VP and team that has a very discriminatory attitude and behaviour and this organization is known for misrepresentation and unfair hiring practices. Wrose is Human Resources who ignore such discrimination or rather turn a blind eye if you are a minority.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the CEO Lift himself from his seat and wake up to reality to see how his management is treating employees. Sitting and managing through emails or survey would only make you join a senior's home soon

Worked for Chartwell Seniors Housing? Contribute to the Community!