Chartwells

www.eatlearnlive.com
Profile Unclaimed

Chartwells at Texas A&M was the worst experience I have suffered in 30 years of work in the food & beverage industry.

Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in College Station, TX

I worked at Chartwells full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pro of working there was getting to know the students at Texas A&M. Helping the students was very rewarding.

Cons

Bad upper level management. The upper level managers do not get along with each other, They argue and call each other ugly names in front of the staff and the students. They do not agree on anything. They do no care about providing a good product to the students.

Replace all of the upper level managers on the Texas A&M campus. They are destroying the reputation of the company. They are also destroying the morale of the hard working employees there.

It is a good company to work for. They work around your school which is great.

I have been working at Chartwells

Pros

Good people.
    Good environment
    Good food

Cons

Nothing really else left to say

Overall Good

I have been working at Chartwells

Pros

Nice to work. Great work enviroment

Cons

Hot Kitchen, Low raise in salary, Need more space for offices.

My experience has been pleasant

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Reno, NV

I have been working at Chartwells full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company offers yearly raises as well as health and dental insurance. Many employees have been working here for over 20 years, and others are part time college students.

Cons

It is nearly impossible to get a raise because they give a 3% yearly raise.

I would obviously like more compensation for the amount and quality of work that I do.

great experience

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Chartwells full-time (more than a year)

Pros

raises are given every year

Cons

most employees are laid off for summer break

Great experience!

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in New York, NY

I have been working at Chartwells full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits. Some flexibility, especially if you have seniority. Raises every year.

Cons

A lot of time off due to the academic year. However, unemployment may be collected.

Sucks

I have been working at Chartwells

Pros

None none none off summer

Cons

They screw their employees out of their insurance

I would be looking over my back

Overall, it was a well paying job and had decent hours. There was just a lot of disorganization.

Current Contractor - Marketing Specialist in Anderson, IN
    Current Contractor - Marketing Specialist in Anderson, IN

I have been working at Chartwells as a contractor

Pros

Decent pay, friendly interactions, considerable hours, integrity, and worked as a team

Cons

Disorganized, sometimes there was unfair treatment to some of the other employees

Listen to what the other employees have to say. Try to give their words and actions some recognition.

Many of the people I met were excellent, but my boss was not.

I have been working at Chartwells full-time

Pros

You have the ability to move all over the world working for this company. There were some excellent people working with this group.

Cons

I was promised training and a reasonable work schedule, but neither of these came to be. They pretended to be a family-oriented company. From my experience, this was not the case.

Work on communicating what you want in a more specific way rather than expressing a vague idea.

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chartwells full-time (more than a year)

Pros

***Please keep in mind this is a review of just one account within the company*******
    University calendar provides ups and downs in peak business times (recovery time)
    Closed and paid for holiday shutdowns
    Complimentary meals and coffee
    Opportunity to be mobile and transfer to different units/accounts or companies within Compass Group- if you last long enough
    RVP is awesome
    Learn a lot very quickly if you want to be successful, but little to no direction.

Cons

Positions don't pay what they are worth
    Most accounts are union and unions don't belong in the customer service industry
    Upper management lets the union and union stewards run their lives at work
    Most of senior management are not worthy of their titles, nor do they know or care to know the basics of running their operation
    Minimal to zero formal training
    Salaried managers work a minimum of 55 hours a week if they care about their unit/account
    Strong emphasis on numbers, but minimal emphasis on quality and training and development to drive the numbers
    High turnover
    Constant Consistency and Quality issues in non franchise units i.e. dining halls and catering
    Sr. management team has poor (borderline disrespectful) communication skills and does not appreciate front line managers
    No onsite HR manager for 180+ union employees

Work. Earn your position and title. Spend more time on the floor showing appreciation to front line employees, supervisors and managers. Get to know your customers and take action on their feedback. Take a business communication course. Take issues and confrontations seriously, address them and teach associates ways to prevent them in the future. Show your employees that you care about them. Be leaders, not managers.

Chartwells Photos