Cheapcaribbean.com
www.cheapcaribbean.com Doylestown, PA 150 to 499 Employees

Cheapcaribbean.com Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Cheapcaribbean.com – Plano – “Beautiful work space”

Josh Paine

Pros:
  • "Company gives back to the community thru days of service and has partnered with Make a Wish foundation"
    in 4 reviews
  • "very pleasant working environment with a laid back feel compared to your average call center"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some of the shifts are not all that desirable, but that comes with a call center"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Very little growth potential unless you are already in upper management"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wolves in Sheep's Clothing - BEWARE False Promises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- High Pay For Salesmen

- Reasonable Hours

- Selling Travel Can Be Fun

ConsA lot of the recent negative reviews here sum it up well.

More than I can count. I'll try to be concise with bullet points and draw from direct examples/personal experience. These are my perspectives from an exhausting several months of employment.

- Terrible Culture: Cheap Caribbean calls itself a "family company". This is true if they mean a dysfunctional family. The call center I worked in was rife with gossip, backstabbing, agents stealing each other's sales, management being unresponsive to workers comments and suggestions and a horribly ineffective HR department that refused to mediate disputes but rather told people to simply stop communicating (this led to many explosive confrontations down the road).

- Questionable Ethics: I frequently spoke with sales agents that would brag about the customers that they tricked by lying about having visited a resort. It was a common thing I heard. There seemed to be no sense of respect for the customer because agents are taught to focus on sales numbers, sales numbers and more sales numbers. Customer service and caring about people is not really emphasized for salespeople.

- The commission plan was so out of whack that near the end of pay periods, salespeople often had to give away their sales because they would LOSE money had they otherwise completed it themselves. It made zero sense and caused all sorts of ridiculous problems. Management just ignored our suggestions to make it better.

- Treating Employees and lower level managers as expendable. Like most call centers this place is a revolving door, which further adds to the rat race like environment. I've seen co-workers fired for very unethical reasons (the company wanted to get rid of them and simply manufactured a reason).

- I had no in house manager for the last 5 months of my job. That meant that I got almost no guidance, but when I made mistakes, I got chastised by 5 different people. Pretty much like the movie office space.

I would advise you stay far away if you want a great CAREER and not a short time grind of a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more genuine compassion and dignity, mediate disputes rather than ignore them, listen to employees and take some of their suggestions, pay team managers what they deserve as you often overwork them.

The CEO did seem to be a very nice, genuine guy. This company can use some serious reform but I figure he is overwhelmed.

Great Company

Director (Current Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsGreat benefits package, caring and dedicated people, room for advancement, and working on better communications. Solid leadership. Just acquired by Apple Leisure Group means additional opportunities. HR department that actually cares about the employees and can be counted on to be an employee advocate. Great addition of a Communications Director, she is very dedicated and also cares deeply about the employees.

ConsNot always a great work life balance. Lot's of self created drama. Communications need to be improved, not always great communications between the sites.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on hiring great people and everyone needs to be held accountable for following the HIKE principles. While our HR team does their best we need a HR person in Plano.

Disappointing

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsOwner, CFO and Executive Team are inspiring. They have a great vision for where they want the company to go.

ConsThe culture. The vision the executive team has does not carry down to the Call center managers, Supervisors and Team Leads. Unprofessional with no accountablility for management, or staff. Total disregard for customer service. Revolving door of sales and service agents as well as supervisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecogonize the talent you have and listen and foster them to create the vision you want. Do not let "doing things the way they have always been done" get in the way of creating the culture and vision you want the company to go.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of Quality Leadership

ProsMany of the employees are genuinely good people that care, they are just frustrated.

ConsManagement treats employees like children as if it were a daycare. Employees and/or Managers that act like children by having tantrums and behavior issues are not only enabled to continue to do so, they are also rewarded. For some reason this must be viewed as they care about the company. Senior Management does nothing to correct this, no consequences. As long as these employees APPEAR to work long hours. That is the most important perception for Management. Quality and of work, completion of work, dedication, talent and professionalism are not important unless you work long hours in the office.

Employees with a good work ethic, willing to take on responsibility and care about what they do are treated with disregard and not respected or heard, and are often Micro-managed to a degrading level. Management does not worry about losing good employees, everyone is replaceable. Except of course, the employees that act like children, which many of them have been with the company for quite some time and actually discourage new talent when they arrive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what kind of employees will make the company successful and work to keep those employees. Respect, fair pay, bonus incentive and work/life balance (flexibility) are the most important things to employees. Empower your employees and promote respect at all levels.

Chaotic, mis-managed, full of unexperience people and management basically blindleading the blind!

ProsEnd of Shift and a paycheck rest is hell

ConsNot enough space to say it all

Advice to Senior Managementlearn about the travel industry and interact with your employees instead of hiding in you office playing manager

Not a place for talented people with fresh ideas

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsUnlimited snacks and soft drinks in the kitchen, flexible hours

ConsUpper management makes decisions based on feeling and unreasonable expectation. Lots of favortism. If you know how to kiss asses, you will have the job for life. Untruthful reporting happens all the time to make the numbers look good.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter recruitment from top to bottom and willing to change. Don't pretend like you care when you truly don't. Be more educated on your fields so when your subordinates told you something, you know exactly what they mean and not asking for basic definition. Have a better vision and obtainable goals for your department based on your team members' input.

Nothing more than a soap opera

(Current Employee)
    Plano, TX

Prossnacks in the kitchen were always stocked and fridge had piles of sodas.

ConsThere is no leadership here - just a bunch of insecure drama queens who enjoys throwing each other and their employees under the bus and gossip about it behind close doors. Don't expect any level of professionalism. Also, nepotism is alive and well and it starts at the top.

Learning and development is completely at your own discretion. Your "training buddy" could care less about getting you up to speed with the work flow because she/he is worried about their own job security. It's likely they've already talked about you behind your back to your manager to reinforce their own level of importance on the food chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice offered to Josh, the management, and HR - they're all very much aware of the lack of integrity, embarrassing "leadership" team, and phony culture, and could care less as long as the numbers says there's still cash flow.

This is the worst company I have eer worked at

ProsFree food is one of the best features

ConsI agree with the "fake" culture. People pretend to be your best pals and then the very next second pretend to not even know you. Everyone will back-stab you and stay away from the ass-kissers, they will get you fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementWipe off the fake smile and be practical.

Good company can become a great company.

Management (Current Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsCompany is growing at a very rapid pace which means there are tons of opportunities. Most of the Executive Team is outstanding, I am not sure if the HR Director is on the Executive Team or not but he is truly made a difference in the culture of CheapCaribbean.com. While I don't always like what he says but I can on him to give me an honest answer. Also, HR is for the most part very responsive to employee needs. I am hoping to see some results from the Cultural Project we are doing.

ConsWork life balance is really off, working way to many hours. I am hoping that we are staffed properly in the future. But the growth has been great. The culture in Plano really needs some work because of a few managers that don't follow the rules. Way too many people are allowed to work from home. HR needs to spend more time in Plano so they can truly understand what is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoving in the right direction, stay the course.

Best Job I Ever Had!!!

Beach Expert (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsSmart leadership team with focus on the future. Very fast pace and growth oriented environment, leads to many growth opportunities. Culture is strong and a huge focus of the Senior Leadership, so it should only get better. Great product offering and friendly culture.

ConsPace can sometimes be overwhelming to some people, but that is expected in a growing company. Some negative employees with unrealistic expectations of the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and don't listen to the complainers!

Worked for Cheapcaribbean.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cheapcaribbean.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cheapcaribbean.com CEO Josh Paine . All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Cheapcaribbean.com employees.