Cheapcaribbean.com

Updated February 15, 2015
2.5

Cheapcaribbean.com President Steve Dumaine
Steve Dumaine

Pros
  • Work from home, was really good if the weather was bad, or child care issues (in 5 reviews)

• Good work environment, great employees and great salary (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No recognition for call center employees unless you are upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Very little growth potential unless you are already in upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Job I ever had!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company two years. I have been compensated every step of the way by both the original owners and the new. I have a great employee record and as a result I have never missed a bonus or raise. I also have realistic expectations and give 100% everyday to insure my success and that of the companies. The people I work with are great. I plan on retiring with CC for me it is my dream job and since the merger I just see all the potential this company has for growth. The one thing I like the most is I am not micro managed.

Cons

The company I started with was obviously started by someone not in the travel industry and it was evident by the way it was run and staffed. My hopes is now that the new company has taken over we will see some changes for the better in the way they hire,train and use technology. We are now aligned with an orginazation who does know the travel industry. There is some work ahead, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Training needs to be revamped and technology needs to be updated.

Sad State of Affairs

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time

Pros

The employees for the most part are great people

Cons

The merger with ALG has been painful at best. The total change in exec team has been expected but what wasn't expected was for them to be replaced with incompetent employees and consultants who have no idea how we work (both consultants and incompetent employees). The new CEO has no idea what he has gotten himself into and lost respect almost immediately for putting those incompetent employees on his exec team. There is no direction just long term stretch goals that even in a dream world are unattainable.

Appreciate what you have and show respect to those emotes that are competent and do their jobs, not just those that kiss butt to hide the fact that they are incompetent and have no idea what they are doing on their best day!

Started off great.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Cheapcaribbean.com

Pros

Before the purchase of the company by ALG things were progressing well. The company was experiencing double digit growth YOY. After the buyout things began to deteriorate. The culture began to suffer and the quality of the website began to decline.

Cons

Short on perks. New management is very weak. At times some of the consultants seem quite incompetent.

Fire the consultants and hire people that care about the company.

Management a bunch of Egotistical ......

I worked at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Short and sweet, the people. I absolutely loved my co-workers, and even most managers. Everyone is friendly, helpful, welcoming, and I've maintained friendships with these people after leaving the company. A job is a job, but the people make it enjoyable.

Scheduling is pretty flexible. Easy to get time off, or shifts swapped.

Good travel discounts and benefits.

Cons

Where to start? Management needs to lead by example. Call center supervisor doesn't roll in the office until noon most days. If you ask most managers questions - nothing ever gets done. You get "yes'd" to death. They tell you what you want to hear, but never act on it or help improve. A lot of these issues started after ALG took over, as CheapCaribbean supervisors really don't have any authority to help anymore.

HR is a joke. Anytime you ask for help, information, assistance, paperwork.. it takes days if not weeks for a response.

Unless you are in sales, you can't live off the income. Will need a second income or second job.

Not a lot of employee support. While there are a few managers who will fight for their staff, there are many who won't. Most managers are "out for themselves" and really don't care what their employees need or deserve.

Step up to the plate. Lead by example. Treat your staff better and appreciate them more.

Things are looking up

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com

Pros

Ecommerce is fun and ecommerce selling beach vacations is even more fun. We get great staff special travel packages to wonderful resorts. Whiners should get over themselves and take advantage of this perk. If you hate ties, you don't need one here. They provide sodas and light snacks. Good things are happening and I fully expect more good things coming.

Cons

When I arrived there was definitely a halo of scorn in the place. The Terrible workspaces demonstrated lack of respect for the employees. The place was run by investors who should not have been trying to operate a business. But, that was then, this is now. Many of the bullies have left voluntarily or involuntary. Those changes were good.

Yes, there have been several more leadership changes in a year than you'd expect but it was necessary to root out the negative. The new leadership seems truly devoted to making improvement for the business and the employees. Not every decision is good, but the intent seems genuine. There are some old regime folks who try to pull the wool over his eyes. (Read reference to wolf in sheep's clothing comments in other reviews). He isn't the wolf. The senior leaders who were loyal to the old management are actually masquerading as sheep. Steve showed much character by wearing the wolf in sheep's clothing costume at our Halloween party. If you can't laugh at yourself, you have no sense of humor. The hateful and spiteful comments are most likely from people who wanted to keep the old power structure they built. Excuse me, your bitterness is showing. The only cons at this point are the whiners and remnants of the old order who need to poison the well.

I wish Steve would consult the tried and true loyal employees more than outsiders but understand than he may not feel we are trustworthy.

HARD WORK DOES PAY OFF!

Current Employee - Beach Expert in Doylestown, PA
    Current Employee - Beach Expert in Doylestown, PA

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

. I have seen three management changes. All change can bring anxiety and confusion, that is with any situation. I can honestly say it is the people at our office that make our company strong. Hard workers,kind and fair minded. And yes I did say hard workers, if you work hard you get recognized and rewarded.I thought that was the idea with any paying job?? If you are lazy, want to complain, and gossip- well then I guess this is not the place for you. Our office has a wonderful environment. I do feel as if we operate as a team!

Cons

Our technology needs some overhauling which our current management is well aware of and is addressing. Our Marketing has been weak for third quarter. I am anxious to see what the new branding team will devise as well as the new additions to the Marketing team.

Steve is getting a bum rap in a lot of these reviews. I find his manner to be direct- personally I prefer his style. I am not here to drink the kool- aid so to speak. He is concise in his plan and is willing to listen. He is leading, and I think that is what the issue is in other locations. Leadership is challenging at any time, but especially with the amount of change we have had in the last year. He is forthcoming with information and is sharing our status along the way. Previously we had no idea of our numbers or expectations as far as sales. He is doing his job. My hope is he that he stands strong with the executive team in allowing us to maintain our Cheap Caribbean personality while integrating into the ALG family. .

Fantastic place to work

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can honestly say I really enjoy working for this company. The environment is excellent and the people you work with are great! The compensation for the Travel agents is also an added value!

Cons

Nothing to bring up. Companies have growing pains and policies that need to be tweaked, but nothing that hinders how one should feel about the company.

Keep up the great work! I report to some fantastic leaders.

Good things come to those who work hard...

Current Employee - Beach Expert/Sales in Doylestown, PA
    Current Employee - Beach Expert/Sales in Doylestown, PA

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for CheapCaribbean.com for over 5 years and to be honest, there have been ups and downs, but this is to be expected with any employer. However, with the new management in place, it is looking more up than down as far as the work environment and morale for the company goes. We have reaped the reward of some benefits that we didn't have before like being able to travel very inexpensively and they have recently re instated the work from home privilege, which was something a lot of us had been asking for since starting with the company. This has made a lot of us very happy. Plus, they have been trying to establish a better system for us to make more money. I have found if you work hard and do your job as you are supposed to, they are happy and leave you alone. It's pretty much common sense. The Supervisors and Managers are great people and do go to bat for you when you need help. I love my co workers and my immediate supervisors/managers, they are all fabulous hard working people and will help you when you need it. We all try to look out for each other. I have been very satisfied with my job and it works very well with my family situation, especially now that I can work from home. The job I have is not easy, but as my title states, good things come to those who work hard

Cons

Being a part time employee, the new management has policies in place that took away paid time off and some other benefits. It's not critical or a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have paid time off again.

Best Employees Anywhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CheapCaribbean.com has the best employees anywhere, to all of my friends at CheapCaribbean.com Kathy, Sophia Jazmin, Doreen, Alyssa, Buddy, Marie and I can keep going. Thank you for making this the best experience I have ever had. I have made many life long friends and you guys are great!

Cons

These are the hardest working people in the business, slow down and remember to smell the roses.

Realize the talent at CheapCaribbean.com is world class from PA to TX to AZ.

Short But sweet. I was on Contract.

Former Contractor - Desktop Support in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cheapcaribbean.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, great employees and great salary

Cons

was not a full time postion or a contract to hire possibilities

Cheapcaribbean.com Photos