Cheapcaribbean.com

www.cheapcaribbean.com
Profile Unclaimed

Lots Of Growth Potential Here

Current Employee - Management in Plano, TX

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm surprised at a lot of these negative reviews, but CheapCaribbean is actually in a great spot for growth potential right now. There's many positions starting to open up and upper management is beginning to see the areas were we are significantly short of people in. The people who work here, especially in Plano, are great people who strive to help others. The Consultants are great, for the most part, in the efforts to assist us to find areas that we need to work on to become a better company and areas that may not need any work,

Cons

The negatively from people does have the tendency to bring others down. The rumors, the negative comments, and negative actions done by employees is a major issue that lowers morale. Lack of communication all around is a major issue - it would be nice to know what's going on.

Technology isn't as bad within the company as the previous review makes it seems. Yes, it's bad, but they're working on it getting better. They have a new consultant that's supposed to be running the technology show in CheapCaribbean now. He's trying to make technology stronger. However, there's a strong lack of UNIX (it's stlll the two guys from the last review doing it) and even strong Windows knowledge within the technology consultant's domain. I don't think that's going to help technology at at..

Talk to your people, make sure they know to weather this storm, get people thinking positive again. Make sure that negative comments, rumors, and whatnot are stopped and addressed.

And there ain't no nothin' we can't love each other through

Current Employee - Team Leader in Doylestown, PA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Doylestown, PA

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During my time at CheapCaribbean I've learned that making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot. The world don’t move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you may not be right for some. I mean look at what happened to me. I can’t believe it myself. Suddenly I’m up on top of the world and it should have been somebody else. Here we are, face to face, a couple of silver spoons. Hoping to find, we’re two of a kind, making a go, making it grow together.

Cons

You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have the facts of life. It takes, Different Strokes to move the world. Everybody's got a special kind of story, everybody finds a way to shine, It don't matter that you got not a lot so what, they'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine. And together we'll be fine.

Sometimes the world looks perfect, nothing to rearrange. Sometimes you just get a feeling like you need some kind of change. There is a time for love and a time for living so take a chance and face the wind. An open road and a road that’s hidden… a brand new life around the bend.

Who knows how long my adventure here will ultimately be but there may come a day when my CheapCaribbean journey may come to an end. I just ask that you don’t worry because baby, if you've ever wondered, wondered whatever became of me. I’m living on the air in Cincinnati, Cincinnati WKRP.

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Doylestown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Doylestown, PA

I worked at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was good. Work was plentiful. Hours were nice. Good benefits.

Cons

The drama in the office was horrid and a lot of people revolved around it. If you weren't in the "cool crowd" forget it!

Started going downhill long before the buyout

I worked at Cheapcaribbean.com

Pros

Fun product, great ideas, a lot of good people. CEO was great but couldn't control direct reports. He left now.

Cons

The wrong element came into marketing and hurt the company. Divided it into cliques and groups, haves and have-nots. Very sad. Then the ALG buyout came.

Get back to the roots of this company. There's a reason it was successful. The product has real potential.

In a Den of Thieves

Former Employee - Management in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Management in Plano, TX

I worked at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some fine people work there, but overall, a bad melange of opportunistic halfwits.

Cons

Culture of mistrust & exploitation. Nepotism, cronyism and lies. Managers that belittle their employees with impunity. Hostile work environment that trickles down from the top. I watched employees doing the bare minimum thing for fear of drawing attention of mentally unbalanced managers who might be threatened by their initiative.

Fire incompetent "C" level employees & create an environment of respect, or continue to watch your market position sink. When you let senior people belittle their direct reports on a daily basis you will never have the respect of the rank and file. THIS IS WHY YOU FAIL.

Senior Sales Agent

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work. Great Atmosphere. Great Pay. Very Flexible.

Cons

Call center hours (expected) Slow season

The absolute worst work experience of my life.

I worked at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They did improve the working conditions for employees by renovating the office and getting employees out of the caves they were literally piled into.

Cons

There is a complete lack of competent leadership. The big complaint from employees for 2 years was the lack of leadership presence. Absolutely everyone in management has left the company like rats deserting a sinking ship. Employees were hopeful things would improve with the new President, however things are worse. Why ALG would hire someone with no previous C level experience and zero people skills remains a huge mystery to all.

The new President has certainly been given the money and opportunity to hire competent management with top leadership skills but has chosen instead to hire numerous expensive consultants (the “Bob’s) that breeze in and out, rarely being there to support the employees who need direction the most. It is apparent he does not know what he is doing; trying to implement management styles he obviously learned from a book that has no relation to reality. His thinking that moving from his corner office into a cubical makes him “one of the Boys”, is flawed reasoning for a person in his position.

If you value you self-esteem I suggest you look elsewhere for a job. This is certainly not a place that will make you feel good about yourself.

They need to replace the President immediately and hire quality managers; although there is probably not much of a change of this happening since Cheapcaribben.com has the worst reputation throughout the traval industry.

Run fast because this company is falling apart

Current Employee - Dev in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Dev in Plano, TX

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You don't even have to show up to get a paycheck. There was a high level executive who took advantage of the generous work from home policy the Plano Office has and was never in the office until he quit the job after being with the company for four months. Very liberal work from home policies and very liberal what is considered work policies.

Cons

The President is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He came in promising change for the better but things have only gotten worse. All of the decent management has quit or been let go. He brought in this consulting company which is his friends from Travelocity, Sabre, and Orbitz, and these are the guys that those companies let go and they're here to help us get better? Does that even make sense? Consultants that were fired from other travel companies are here to make us better? So they made us in Development stop our project and restart for the forth time so we can do things their way which is supposed to be better. They managed to improve things within the development and quality assurance teams at least cause the 1st floor reflects the true culture of the company cause were chill we work and we play. We totally nerf it out and have fun with the job when we can. But you have people that don't like that that come for the 4th floor and ruin it for everyone.

Technology is killing everyone. Need a server to test your code? Don't ask for one because there's not one available, well there is, but it's in use by someone else, what if you need one? Well, they're busy, put in a ticket that won't get answered or it will months for now. Oh and you probably will use the wrong ticketing system because you have to use a jira ticket for one thing and a helpdesk ticket if your mouse is broken or something stupid like that. The whole technology and IT setup at Cheapcaribbean is falling apart and completely broken. They. Need. To. Fix. It. Or. Else. Wait don't we have consultants here that are IT consultants to fix the technology? That's right they've got a plan to fix it Steve. Keep it in their hands. Even though it seems to be getting worse but that's how it goes we all throw the weight behind the consultants because they have the plan which hasn't come out yet even though they've been here for months now. Meanwhile we still have major issues with technology and they wont give us more servers to compile and test code run jobs etc. We would all each like our personal server so we can get this done faster isn't that what cloud computing is supposed to give us? There was big talk of some type this and you are done.

Culture issues plague the Plano office. The 1st floor has it under control. The 4th floor is a kill or be killed organization. Whenever someone from the 1st floor comes upstairs they treat us like we're strangers or aliens from another planet or just act like we're gross. I guess the beautiful people upstairs don't want us making them look ugly! The 4th floor has issues with our nerf gun battles. The 4th floor is home to marketing, user experience team, financial, the technology group, oh and the good President Steve Dumaine. There's no HR in the Plano office and it shows because the 4th floor is a hotbed of sexism, homophobia, racism, and anti-muslim veterans who need to me heavily medicated just to remain mentally stable in the office. Complaints have been made but nothing has been done to prevent the hotbed of sexism, homophobia, racism, and anti-muslim behavior that has been plaguing the 4th floor and its quite offensive. You also have people that bring concealed handguns to work which is scary and should be illegal and we know from science that guns increase the risk of being shot. I don't trust anyone with a gun yet I heard a talk about it and people were cool with it which is disgusting and just makes me uncomfortable. You also have no drug testing in place there was this one incident where a guy smelled heavily of marijuana and came right in and started working and also another incident when someone was complaining about stuff being down a person responded "Your mom goes down" and yet he wasn't punished. HIKE was thrown out the window it doesn't even get mentioned anymore.

Oh and why does marketing and user experience have the ability to put stop orders in our coding and demoing process? Marketing and User Experience shouldn't have that ability and that needs to stop.

Implement drug testing because that would get rid of a lot of the culture problem people in my opinion and you need HR in the Plano office to stop the behavior that's going on on the 4th floor so we can fix the culture so maybe it'll chill out a little not be so kill or be killed up there. Maybe come downstairs for a bit.

Mass Confusion

Current Employee - Management in Plano, TX

I have been working at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CheapCaribbean.com now has the full backing of the resources of Bain Capital. Benefit costs did not go up last year, it seems like they will be okay again this year.

Cons

Change, seems the only thing we can count on is change ALG is trying to roll out a culture before they even have rolled out a handbook. In my opinion it makes no sense. Corporate comes down and does a presentation and we bring up the same concerns we have brought up numerous times before. It is a joke I have no reason to believe they will be addressed now.

It's not lost on us that most of the key CheapCaribbean.com leaders are gone and nothing has been done to keep the good ones. A big deal was made about the promotion of CC employee to ALG by the ALG CEO and he is leaving and not even an announcement was sent out and nobody really understands why he is leaving which means people will draw their own conclusions. All that is left is a bunch of expensive consultants and a Call Center Director that in my opinion is in way over her head and gets no direction. There is no leadership in PA or PHX. It is sad to watch this come apart at the seems. The CFO should stop telling people that he is the last CC leader left standing and he will be gone shortly. Doesn't help instill confidence in the masses. Frankly, we are getting tired of hearing it.

Run as Fast as You Can!

I worked at Cheapcaribbean.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros: Not working at this place anymore!

Cons

Cons: Everything about this place. The worst run company I have ever worked for.

BAIN / ALG: When. Will. You. Fire. This. New President? He's a wolf in sheep's clothing. He's a fraud. He doesn't know what he's doing, but he sure has a huge ego to think that he does. He. Is. Horrible! He is ruining what's left of this company. Big mistake hiring him.

Cheapcaribbean.com Response

Oct 16, 2014Sr. Director, Corporate Human Resources

It is simply amazing to me that Glassdoor.com allows a disgruntled employee's opinion to be posted as fact, The person who wrote this review and Glassdoor.com should be both be embarrassed. Employees ... More

Cheapcaribbean.com Photos