Check Point Software

Be The First To
Add Photos

Check Point Software Chairman and CEO Gil Shwed

Gil Shwed

Pros
  • The work environment is great - lots of group outings, always free lunch, breakfasts on Fridays (in 17 reviews)

• I love working with the great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is extremely cheap in their hiring practices (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance what so ever (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

What an amazing place to make an impact!

Product Marketing (Current Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsThere's a lot of camaraderie and support for each other here. People step in to help you out. The work itself is incredibly interesting and constantly changing. So if you like an environment of new and exciting areas to work on, it's great here. The marketing organization is really rejuvenated since we brought on a new CMO. The work environment is great - lots of group outings, always free lunch, breakfasts on Fridays. You also get to work with some of the brightest and smartest people.

ConsThe company has a culture that strives for excellence so you often have to iterate on the work till you get to that level. The HQ is in Israel so sometimes the hour difference calls for early morning or late night calls. It's a very value driven company for any expense which creates many processes when it involves spending with external vendors. If you don't watch it, you are bound to gain the Check Point 10 pounds!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen a bit more to the ideas. Be ready to try some things even if you aren't guaranteed that they will work.

Just started and already have learned so much. I love the work atmoshpehere

Channel Marketing Manager (Current Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsFor working here for only three months, I have learned more in my current position than any previous job I've held before. I have the best supervisor and with the addition of the new CMO, the marketing department has really whipped up into shape. The people that work here could not be nicer and it has been an absolute pleasure working for Check Point.

ConsFood, food and more food. They love to feed you here!

Varied experience ... they began pushing some of the Endpoint items to Canada and the overall experience changed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people
    Some managers are strong and fair
    Good firewall products
    Overall, until the Canada outsourcing, the environment was good. It is still good, but could be better. They offer lunch for everyone which manages to save some money. Insurance is awesome.

ConsSome people were difficult to work with
    Endpoint team was being outsourced to Canada office
    The endpoint piece is strong from the encryption side, but the anti-malware is not as good as it could be. Also, upon purchasing Liquid Machines, it was no longer offered as a product for sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should take care to be more cognoscente of the contributions of the tech support staff. In some cases,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very little management support

Account Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsRelaxed environment, market leader in the enterprise space

Conspoor treatment of employees, lack of care for employees, lousy tools, horriffic business decisions, products that don't live up to customer expectations, failed opportunities to capitalize on emerging markets, commission plans based on outdated models.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so cheap with your employees, get them good equipment like laptops and other tools to do their job. Get demonstration equipment in the field. Stop making decisions for product based on cost and make them based on satisfying the customer. Check Point is rated as the most profitable data security company and while that is a good statistic, that profit comes at the cost of market growth.

Management could be more humane.

Professional Services (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the top leaders in the field.
    Great team, complete support from every peers.
    Nice large projects to work on and learn with.

ConsNo respect for your personal life.
    Too pushy management, forcing you to go overboard (that's beyond beyond).
    Managers have a aggressive attitude and will not cover your back when you need.
    Sales rules the place, you will be subject to any "less truthful" said by sales personnel and you are expected to back them up.
    Israel team does not trust US workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to lead and not just rule.
    Be aware of your resources, they are all you have!!!
    Be reasonable with your resources, they have a life too and nobody is playing games there.
    Stop the politics, grow by merit and not by stepping on others. Shine and let others shine as well.
    Don't be afraid to say no to clients.

Poised for greatness!

Web Developer (Current Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsI love working with the great people. Check Point has this startup feel, but the financial security of a big company. I'm always learning new things, and we have some freedom to suggest new technologies. There is always something going on that I haven't felt my work mundane after 7+ years here. I feel that I'm really making a difference for the company and this is important for me. Employees are rewarded for good performance every year with bonuses, salary increases, and even RSU! Some say that this company is cheap, but for the company to send all their employees and significant others across the globe to Mexico for a 3 days excursion has got to speak for itself. And, this is not the first time. Plus, team outings, breakfast on Fridays, and the free waiter.com lunches every day is a great plus!

ConsThere are some challenges working with Israel (our headquarter), due to time differences and some language barriers, but this is expected. The company forces you to think out of the box because you don't have an unlimited amount of funding for your projects, so you have to really find the best solution to get what you need. Because we have been without a leader for a while, there have been some turnovers in the company, but our new CMO is aggressively working to hire new talents.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur new CMO, Marie Hattar, is awesome! She brings in a lot of energy, passion, and purpose. This is what the company is missing for a long time now, someone to really lead the Marketing front here in San Carlos, and bring in the Israeli component to make it one company, one voice. I'm really, really excited that Marie is here! She has already made a tremendous effect in the company culture and how we look at things in the short period of time she is here. She is so open and honest about what is going on, and so approachable! A real people-person. We are very lucky to have her and I'm looking forward to only greatness for the company!

Company invested in improving

Technical Product Marketing (Current Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsGeneral: Over the past several years I've seen the company go through good and bad with many people coming and going. With new management on board (CMO), the marketing team is in a position to grow and drive an already great and established product portfolio that the company is known for.
    Great strengths of this company are the people. Through hard times, the people made the difference, and with good times ahead these people will welcome more great people to strengthen the teams.
    Compensation: Although the company is known to be not the best paying company (and definitely not the worst either) , it is up to you to negotiate the right level of compensation. You will find that they are willing to pay for talent. Benefits are good, and pay increases happen on a regular basis. Can't beat the free (paid for) lunches!
    Leadership: The new CMO is a strong leader who, in my opinion, will make a difference and will grow this team with excellent marketeers. This is a place that opens up opportunities for the ones that enjoy putting in the effort to market a great product.

ConsThe company has their corporate office in Israel. It can be a challenge for some to learn how to work with people in Israel. Key is to visit them in Israel for face-to-face meetings so they get to know you and you get to know them.
    Promotions: The company is built lean-and-mean, meaning that there are just enough people to do the job. Moving up the ladder can be challenging, not impossible, but if you are looking for a quick growth career you'll find this company not to be the most suited for you.
    Processes: This company still works much like a startup. You will have to find ways to get things done with tools that might not be there. I have found though that it makes you think out of the box. People that need defined processes will not enjoy it here.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow recognition for people's involvement and achievements a bit more often.

Working Here... is not what they said it would be.

Technical Advisor (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- Regardless of the cons, it did grow my career, although there wasn't much growth internally to be had.
    - Free lunch. and/or getting to expense basically every time you eat out for lunch.
    - Free alcohol..?
    - Exposure to different technologies.
    - Free certifications (unlimited attempts).
    - For little to no experience, decent starting pay.
    - Hard to lose your job. You really have to try to lose your job..

Cons- Purely a numbers game when it comes to achievements and stats.
    - An extremely loud beeping sign that never goes away.
    - Office is extremely loud. Lots of yelling.
    - Extreme pressure to the point the of considering quitting almost weekly.
    - Work/Life balance is... okay, but they have little concern for you it seems like most of the time.
    - Every 'promotion' is considered a parallel move, so compensation is rarely given out, except for annual review time, and even then some people still do not get raises!
    - Annual review stats are heavily and clearly skewed so they do not have to give raises. Managers even say this.
    - It takes them months to actually complete anything like transitions, raises, new computers, etc.
    - Very few managers have your back.
    - You basically have to tell them you are quitting before they act like they care about your concerns.
    - Little to no hands on experience, even with training.
    - Limited career options, although they claim otherwise.
    - Compared to other employers, low compensation with slow financial growth. Bonuses are a joke, if they happen.
    - The entire company is on the decline. They are stable for now, but wait a few more years.
    - Their support teams get less skilled, because everyone with a brain leaves.
    - Support team grows smaller and smaller, making work load unmanageable.
    - If you're not in Israel, your resources to development in general knowledge is harder to obtain and limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement knows what they are doing wrong, yet they chose not to change it. I've spoken to various managers about my issues and we are given excuses or simply no answer at all about our concerns. They have been like this for years and I do NOT see them changing anytime in the near future. Without replacing most of the management, there is no fixing this, as it is wasted breath.

Where Careers go to Die.

Pros-Check Point is known as a provider of high end security solutions.
    -Vacation.
    -Meals are provided if working form an office.
    -Can be a good place to start as they hire with little or no experience.

Cons-Management is poorly supervised and can be abusive including physical abuse.
    -Most employees are cowed by Israeli leadership.
    -A management culture that is condescending and looks down on North American employees exists here.
    -Poor "On-Boarding" process.
    -Travel and Expense process is predatory and painful.
    -Sales quotas are frequently raised and past sales arbitrarily reallocated at EOQ/ EOY.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny advice to management would likely not be taken to heart, so any attempt to convey any learned wisdom in this venue would be fruitless.

Amazing people work at Check Point

Product Marketing (Current Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsI really enjoy my co-workers - they're some of the most amazing, talented people i have ever worked with. This is a true engineering company in a very exciting, dynamic industry - so it has that start-up feel without the fear of not making it. We get to travel to meet co-workers, customer, partners and you get to feel a sense of family with all these great people. One time I was traveling in Tel Aviv and hurt myself - my co-workers acted like my mom with their care and help :) and I was really grateful for them.
    We've had amazing company anniversary trips that are super generous and memorable.
    New ideas are always encouraged -you can try just about anything and there is always a ton of opportunity.

ConsA little behind the times with systems and tools but new management is infusing more modern concepts. People can get heated and a bit controlling - but it's a reflection of their passion and will to succeed. You have to navigate through a fair amount of admin to get what you want, but that's pretty much everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to grow into the present and future, you can't hold on to past ways of thinking and doing.

Worked for Check Point Software? Contribute to the Community!