Check Point Software Technologies

Updated September 6, 2014
3.4

Check Point Software Technologies Chairman and CEO Gil Shwed
Gil Shwed

Pros
  • The work environment is great - lots of group outings, always free lunch, breakfasts on Fridays (in 17 reviews)

• I love working with the great people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is extremely cheap in their hiring practices (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance what so ever (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales engineer

Former Employee - Security Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Security Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Access to information, tools to do your job.

Cons

None they provide exactly what is promised. This is a great place to work.

Bridge the gap from Israel to US as well as development.

It's a great company with great products that cares about it's people.

Current Employee - Security Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Security Sales Engineer

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work-life balance is outstanding, the pay is acceptable and the products are something you can be proud to be a part of and share with others. Overall, it is a company you want to work hard for and participate in.

Cons

The only real negative is that the quotas over time, if you're successful, become mathematically impossible to achieve. Basically, you have to outperform yourself every year, which is fine if you hit your target or slightly over. The problem is if you hit 130 or 150% a few times then the quota outgrows your territory. It discourages you from hunting large deals because very large deals are hard to replicate each year. A very large deal will be very bad the next year.

Check Point Management is excellent. The only issue is a quota structure that seems to punish success. Everything else is excellent. Unfortunately though, in sales, quota structure is more important than everything else because it is how you're judged and paid. In my experience, aside from one that was promoted, I have watched our best sales people leave being faced with quotas they didn't feel they could hit.

Their TAC is definitely a sweatshop.

Current Employee - Tier III Technical Advisor  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Tier III Technical Advisor in Irving, TX

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you can handle the stress this will get someone with the training but little to know actual experience in the IT Security field.

Free training, free Check Point certification for their products

Cons

Be aware that you will be working doing help desk support in what is basically a call center. With all being a call center implies. US TAC management doesn't like to hear it called as such, but when the employees are reviewed on call times, resolution, number of calls, and customer satisfaction surveys, it's a call center. Anything less that a 10 out of a 10 scale on the customer satisfaction surveys is considered unacceptable to management, since their bonuses are based on the surveys and the other aforementioned metrics. And only a select few hear even get any bonuses at all.

Promotions can happen often, due to the turnover, but don't expect a raise. Promotions are usually lateral and decent raises are only given once a year and only to half of their employees. Raises are done on a ranking system just like being in a graduating class in high school or college. Your raise is based on where you rank with your peers, not with the quality of your work. Even if you've been getting A- on your work, but you're in the lower 50 percent the raises get lower and lower until you get to the bottom and those people get no raises.

Pay is about a third or more less that industry standard. They know that once you get the experience and certs from them, you'll be able to leave getting a job for double the money or more.

Wouldn't do any good, because they wouldnt listen to advice and they don't care.

Advice to potential employees: Get the free training and certifications through them, about a year's worth of experience and then get out. There's a reason employee's there call it " Check Point Academy", The only place to get good training and experience with Check Point products is to work for them because there are no 3rd party training companies or outside publishers printing training manuals or books on how to pass Check Point certifications. Check Point knows this and knows that when their employees eventually leave, they'll make a lot more money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Benefits, Good leadership, challenging Culture

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time

Pros

The foundation for this company is amazing. They are innovative and a solid leader in security. Great benefits

Cons

Yearly true up on compensation/commissions and moving target on sales quotas makes this challenging from a sales perspective. No deal registration is constant recurring gripe from partner community. Marketing efforts are weak for a global company that is a leader in this industry. Pay structure for SE's makes it hard to hire in competitive landscape

Switch to a quarterly bonus model and it may help sales retention. Give to get:Marketing advice. Increase OTE threshold for the right SE talent>it will yield dividends

What an amazing place to make an impact!

Current Employee - Product Marketing  in  San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in San Carlos, CA

Pros

There's a lot of camaraderie and support for each other here. People step in to help you out. The work itself is incredibly interesting and constantly changing. So if you like an environment of new and exciting areas to work on, it's great here. The marketing organization is really rejuvenated since we brought on a new CMO. The work environment is great - lots of group outings, always free lunch, breakfasts on Fridays. You also get to work with some of the brightest and smartest people.

Cons

The company has a culture that strives for excellence so you often have to iterate on the work till you get to that level. The HQ is in Israel so sometimes the hour difference calls for early morning or late night calls. It's a very value driven company for any expense which creates many processes when it involves spending with external vendors. If you don't watch it, you are bound to gain the Check Point 10 pounds!

Listen a bit more to the ideas. Be ready to try some things even if you aren't guaranteed that they will work.

Just started and already have learned so much. I love the work atmoshpehere

Current Employee - Channel Marketing Manager  in  San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

For working here for only three months, I have learned more in my current position than any previous job I've held before. I have the best supervisor and with the addition of the new CMO, the marketing department has really whipped up into shape. The people that work here could not be nicer and it has been an absolute pleasure working for Check Point.

Cons

Food, food and more food. They love to feed you here!

Poised for greatness!

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Carlos, CA

Pros

I love working with the great people. Check Point has this startup feel, but the financial security of a big company. I'm always learning new things, and we have some freedom to suggest new technologies. There is always something going on that I haven't felt my work mundane after 7+ years here. I feel that I'm really making a difference for the company and this is important for me. Employees are rewarded for good performance every year with bonuses, salary increases, and even RSU! Some say that this company is cheap, but for the company to send all their employees and significant others across the globe to Mexico for a 3 days excursion has got to speak for itself. And, this is not the first time. Plus, team outings, breakfast on Fridays, and the free waiter.com lunches every day is a great plus!

Cons

There are some challenges working with Israel (our headquarter), due to time differences and some language barriers, but this is expected. The company forces you to think out of the box because you don't have an unlimited amount of funding for your projects, so you have to really find the best solution to get what you need. Because we have been without a leader for a while, there have been some turnovers in the company, but our new CMO is aggressively working to hire new talents.

Our new CMO, Marie Hattar, is awesome! She brings in a lot of energy, passion, and purpose. This is what the company is missing for a long time now, someone to really lead the Marketing front here in San Carlos, and bring in the Israeli component to make it one company, one voice. I'm really, really excited that Marie is here! She has already made a tremendous effect in the company culture and how we look at things in the short period of time she is here. She is so open and honest about what is going on, and so approachable! A real people-person. We are very lucky to have her and I'm looking forward to only greatness for the company!

Varied experience ... they began pushing some of the Endpoint items to Canada and the overall experience changed.

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time

Pros

Good people
    Some managers are strong and fair
    Good firewall products
    Overall, until the Canada outsourcing, the environment was good. It is still good, but could be better. They offer lunch for everyone which manages to save some money. Insurance is awesome.

Cons

Some people were difficult to work with
    Endpoint team was being outsourced to Canada office
    The endpoint piece is strong from the encryption side, but the anti-malware is not as good as it could be. Also, upon purchasing Liquid Machines, it was no longer offered as a product for sale.

Management should take care to be more cognoscente of the contributions of the tech support staff. In some cases,

Very little management support

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Relaxed environment, market leader in the enterprise space

Cons

poor treatment of employees, lack of care for employees, lousy tools, horriffic business decisions, products that don't live up to customer expectations, failed opportunities to capitalize on emerging markets, commission plans based on outdated models.

Stop being so cheap with your employees, get them good equipment like laptops and other tools to do their job. Get demonstration equipment in the field. Stop making decisions for product based on cost and make them based on satisfying the customer. Check Point is rated as the most profitable data security company and while that is a good statistic, that profit comes at the cost of market growth.

Management could be more humane.

Former Employee - Professional Services
    Former Employee - Professional Services

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of the top leaders in the field.
    Great team, complete support from every peers.
    Nice large projects to work on and learn with.

Cons

No respect for your personal life.
    Too pushy management, forcing you to go overboard (that's beyond beyond).
    Managers have a aggressive attitude and will not cover your back when you need.
    Sales rules the place, you will be subject to any "less truthful" said by sales personnel and you are expected to back them up.
    Israel team does not trust US workers.

Learn to lead and not just rule.
    Be aware of your resources, they are all you have!!!
    Be reasonable with your resources, they have a life too and nobody is playing games there.
    Stop the politics, grow by merit and not by stepping on others. Shine and let others shine as well.
    Don't be afraid to say no to clients.

Worked for Check Point Software Technologies? Contribute to the Community!