Check Point Software Technologies

Updated October 15, 2014
3.5

Check Point Software Technologies Chairman and CEO Gil Shwed
Gil Shwed

Pros
  • The work environment is great - lots of group outings, always free lunch, breakfasts on Fridays (in 18 reviews)

• I love working with the great people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is extremely cheap in their hiring practices (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance what so ever (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Management could be more humane.

Former Employee - Professional Services
    Former Employee - Professional Services

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the top leaders in the field.
    Great team, complete support from every peers.
    Nice large projects to work on and learn with.

Cons

No respect for your personal life.
    Too pushy management, forcing you to go overboard (that's beyond beyond).
    Managers have a aggressive attitude and will not cover your back when you need.
    Sales rules the place, you will be subject to any "less truthful" said by sales personnel and you are expected to back them up.
    Israel team does not trust US workers.

Learn to lead and not just rule.
    Be aware of your resources, they are all you have!!!
    Be reasonable with your resources, they have a life too and nobody is playing games there.
    Stop the politics, grow by merit and not by stepping on others. Shine and let others shine as well.
    Don't be afraid to say no to clients.

Company invested in improving

Current Employee - Technical Product Marketing in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Product Marketing in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time

Pros

General: Over the past several years I've seen the company go through good and bad with many people coming and going. With new management on board (CMO), the marketing team is in a position to grow and drive an already great and established product portfolio that the company is known for.
    Great strengths of this company are the people. Through hard times, the people made the difference, and with good times ahead these people will welcome more great people to strengthen the teams.
    Compensation: Although the company is known to be not the best paying company (and definitely not the worst either) , it is up to you to negotiate the right level of compensation. You will find that they are willing to pay for talent. Benefits are good, and pay increases happen on a regular basis. Can't beat the free (paid for) lunches!
    Leadership: The new CMO is a strong leader who, in my opinion, will make a difference and will grow this team with excellent marketeers. This is a place that opens up opportunities for the ones that enjoy putting in the effort to market a great product.

Cons

The company has their corporate office in Israel. It can be a challenge for some to learn how to work with people in Israel. Key is to visit them in Israel for face-to-face meetings so they get to know you and you get to know them.
    Promotions: The company is built lean-and-mean, meaning that there are just enough people to do the job. Moving up the ladder can be challenging, not impossible, but if you are looking for a quick growth career you'll find this company not to be the most suited for you.
    Processes: This company still works much like a startup. You will have to find ways to get things done with tools that might not be there. I have found though that it makes you think out of the box. People that need defined processes will not enjoy it here.

Show recognition for people's involvement and achievements a bit more often.

Working Here... is not what they said it would be.

Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Regardless of the cons, it did grow my career, although there wasn't much growth internally to be had.
    - Free lunch. and/or getting to expense basically every time you eat out for lunch.
    - Free alcohol..?
    - Exposure to different technologies.
    - Free certifications (unlimited attempts).
    - For little to no experience, decent starting pay.
    - Hard to lose your job. You really have to try to lose your job..

Cons

- Purely a numbers game when it comes to achievements and stats.
    - An extremely loud beeping sign that never goes away.
    - Office is extremely loud. Lots of yelling.
    - Extreme pressure to the point the of considering quitting almost weekly.
    - Work/Life balance is... okay, but they have little concern for you it seems like most of the time.
    - Every 'promotion' is considered a parallel move, so compensation is rarely given out, except for annual review time, and even then some people still do not get raises!
    - Annual review stats are heavily and clearly skewed so they do not have to give raises. Managers even say this.
    - It takes them months to actually complete anything like transitions, raises, new computers, etc.
    - Very few managers have your back.
    - You basically have to tell them you are quitting before they act like they care about your concerns.
    - Little to no hands on experience, even with training.
    - Limited career options, although they claim otherwise.
    - Compared to other employers, low compensation with slow financial growth. Bonuses are a joke, if they happen.
    - The entire company is on the decline. They are stable for now, but wait a few more years.
    - Their support teams get less skilled, because everyone with a brain leaves.
    - Support team grows smaller and smaller, making work load unmanageable.
    - If you're not in Israel, your resources to development in general knowledge is harder to obtain and limited.

Management knows what they are doing wrong, yet they chose not to change it. I've spoken to various managers about my issues and we are given excuses or simply no answer at all about our concerns. They have been like this for years and I do NOT see them changing anytime in the near future. Without replacing most of the management, there is no fixing this, as it is wasted breath.

Where Careers go to Die.

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Check Point is known as a provider of high end security solutions.
    -Vacation.
    -Meals are provided if working form an office.
    -Can be a good place to start as they hire with little or no experience.

Cons

-Management is poorly supervised and can be abusive including physical abuse.
    -Most employees are cowed by Israeli leadership.
    -A management culture that is condescending and looks down on North American employees exists here.
    -Poor "On-Boarding" process.
    -Travel and Expense process is predatory and painful.
    -Sales quotas are frequently raised and past sales arbitrarily reallocated at EOQ/ EOY.

Any advice to management would likely not be taken to heart, so any attempt to convey any learned wisdom in this venue would be fruitless.

Amazing people work at Check Point

Current Employee - Product Marketing in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in San Carlos, CA

Pros

I really enjoy my co-workers - they're some of the most amazing, talented people i have ever worked with. This is a true engineering company in a very exciting, dynamic industry - so it has that start-up feel without the fear of not making it. We get to travel to meet co-workers, customer, partners and you get to feel a sense of family with all these great people. One time I was traveling in Tel Aviv and hurt myself - my co-workers acted like my mom with their care and help :) and I was really grateful for them.
    We've had amazing company anniversary trips that are super generous and memorable.
    New ideas are always encouraged -you can try just about anything and there is always a ton of opportunity.

Cons

A little behind the times with systems and tools but new management is infusing more modern concepts. People can get heated and a bit controlling - but it's a reflection of their passion and will to succeed. You have to navigate through a fair amount of admin to get what you want, but that's pretty much everywhere.

If you really want to grow into the present and future, you can't hold on to past ways of thinking and doing.

Good company

I have been working at Check Point Software Technologies full-time

Pros

Free food. Fun environment paid lunch travel

Cons

Travel cheap company will not buy anything stressful

K

Great opportunity to learn world class security solutions

Current Employee - Security Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Security Sales Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

Check Point experience is an invaluable skill in any major city or country

Cons

salaries are lower than competition

work harder to keep talent

Sales Candidates Beware

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The technology is great.
    Benefits are good.
    Security Engineers were well received by clients.

Cons

On-boarding consists of 40 hours of pre-recorded webinars -- hardly sufficient for the breadth of job requirements. Very little sales support and encouragement from sales management. I stumbled for months because there was no real-world coaching; no substantial introduction to resources and internal systems; no quote development training; no CRM training - how to input data the Check Point way; an Account Base that changed dramatically after (3) months; rotating Sales Engineers. Customers had better relationships with Channel Partners than with Check Point. direct because of the rotating cast of Account Managers. Senior executives have no real understanding of the competitive landscape. Low Pay.

Sales Managers should support team members; they will throw their team members under the bus very quickly in order to save their own skin. My experience: they only manage upward. Ego-driven environment needs to go.
    On-boarding plan should include an assigned mentor.
    Significant dollars for Marketing are needed -- there is virtualy none, and the competitive landscape has gotten greater over the years.
    Ask the field sales people what's working / what's not -- and listen!

Past worker - its OK

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies

Pros

There was the free food.

Cons

There were the long hours.

Just okay.

I worked at Check Point Software Technologies

Pros

The people you work with are generally nice. The product also, is very well known as being the top in the industry.

Cons

Company is very disorganized, as a whole. Some job descriptions may be a bit misleading when compared to actual job responsibilities.

Check Point Software Technologies Photos