Check 'n Go

Add Photos

Jared A. Davis

Stressful

El Cerrito, CA

ProsCo Workers, most of the regular customers

ConsThe training was minimal. I came in as a Store Manager and the manager that trained me wasn't even doing her job correctly. I had to learn most things on my own. The district managers kept changing. I was there for 1 year 4 months and I had to deal with 4 different district managers and they all functioned differently. When my associate quit I was left to work Monday through Saturday with no one to help me. Then they expected me to make tons of calls three times a day, everyday. Then after emailing and emailing I finally got candidates for interviews and out of all of the candidates I said yes to they hired the one that could only work like 2 hrs on certain days...and that person kept calling in. The rules changed constantly. They constantly added more and more work and most stores only had 1 employee (our district was always short staffed). I was overjoyed when another company finally contacted me and offered me a position with pay that I shouldve been making there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you request so much of your employees, how about you actually try to do all the tasks that yourself in one day. If you manage to get everything done the way you expect your employees to, then you should give actual coaching on how you achieved all of the tasks requested.

Was a great place to work until the management was changed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent customers, great location, pay was not terrible.

ConsEvery quarter they would reorganize the districts and it was like playing a game of Russian Roulette. You never knew when you were going to get a bad District Manager or a good one. Micromanaged to the extreme although not as bad as other companies. All in all if they stop the merry go round of changing districts every other day would be a decent place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the revolving door of district reorganization

The office was convenient for me.

Fenton, MO

ProsDecent wages and hours. Build strong relationships with other store managers, Company provided good benefits.

ConsGoals became unrealistic for the economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional directors worked for were unprofessional.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pro's and Cons

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsHours of operation are nice, easy to learn

Conscompany does not do much for security of employees even when brought to their attention numerous times. Pay for Store manager salary is approximately 30,000 a year in Michigan. however they put you on a "flucuating salary". This is a scam to get out of paying you time and a half for all of the overtime hours they require you to work.

100% Performance Based Don't be fooled by Smoke and Mirrors

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are very few pro's that come to mind when speaking about CNG.

-Closed on Sundays.

Is about the only positive thing going for Check N Go.

ConsI will try to provide some enlightenment a little different from some of the other con's because by now, if you are reading this review, you are either considering a position with the company, or currently employed and want to see what is being said about CNG.

One of the first things I can not stress enough to anyone who is thinking about coming to Check N Go is to determine what is important to you that you get out of an employer.

CNG does not spend time or resources into developing employees, either you know someone higher than you or you are capable of being able to manipulate numbers to give yourself the appearance that you are actually doing a good job.

CNG rarely promotes people out of performance, their hiring model is more reactive, they try to give the impression that they are pro-active, but the open stores say another things, running on skeleton hours to increase the bonus potential for District Directors.

Performance is measured at who knows, there is ZERO consistenicy when they try to forecast numbers, and staff are held accountable for areas which they can not control. Although I am not going to get into specifics, a store is only as strong as the #'s in which it produces for that current month.

Bonus structure has changed more than 8 times in the last 16 months, and rarely do managers ever see a bonus, because they are put on corrective actions, which eliminates you from receiving a bonus, this is the new ploy from CNG Field Leadership to lower the bonus paid to managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut down the laptop, look away from the excel spread sheets and listen to managers who are in the trenches day in and day out to run the business for you. Instead they try to do what needs to be done but actually creates additional stress, more work.

Check N Go not the ideal place to work over worked underpaid

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsPeople I worked with were nice. My store manager was nice. Customers were nice too!

Consno glass windows, and handling lots of cash, vulnerable to robbery.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate is a piece of work.Expect too much and nothing in return for the hard work

Tough Work

San Antonio, TX

ProsFace to face interaction with customers. You really get to know the people coming into the store.

ConsIf those customers default on a loan, you become a collector. That great customer service gets thrown away as you assume the role of a creditor.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

RUN now...

DFW, TX

Prosthis is a work place from hell

Consout dated computer, stressful work place, csr only work 19 hours, they do not care about your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your computer and get some actual DDO who know the business

Stay away and save yourself the trouble

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsI Never worked Sundays and you didn't work after 7pm. As with any job you would find some quality people.

ConsWorked there for alittle over 6 months. Worked like a dog and thats okay except it was never enough. Unsafe environment due to nothing between you and a robber. Think about this because you only have one life and this company doesn't consider your life worth a bullet proof glass. They like to use intimidation ( threaten to fire you) and or hand out crappy reviews after you bust your butt for them. Even the best managers I knew just busted their butts for this company and were graded low or very low in job performance. Their expectations were unrealistic and they knew it. I guess their little tactics helps to keep the company rich and the employees 1. Worried if they would have a job 2. On the verge of a nervous breakdown 3. A excuse to screw them out of due raises. The smart ones figure it out and walk away from the mess and don't look back. I did and not a moment went by that I didn't thank god I did. There is another thing to consider and please do if you are considering this line of work. It really began to bother me that I was absolutely ripping these people off on interest. The best way I can explain it is it felt like "legalized loan sharking".I found I just wasn't cut out to assist a company in what I felt was exploitation of people in this way. But then people need to find other ways to borrow (friend or family) when they have a urgent need rather than turn to this type of business. In most cases this was people who couldn't afford to be taken advantage of but found themselves trapped. Taking 90% of their bi-weekly pay to pay the 500.00 loan and charged 75.00 for using that for 2 weeks. They had to reloan in order to pay their rent. This went round and round and round and round. Trapped. Right now the government hasn't put a stop to them but something needs to be done. I was ashamed to work for this place after seeing what I saw. They encouraged their employees and expected their employees to get these people deeper in debt at every opportunity. I felt like a loan shark after awhile. I washed my hand clean and walked out after having busted my butt and getting a stupid unfair review from a boss that Constantly came up short, long, short, long day in and day out while I maintain a precise accounting after my first mistake. I ended up being reviewed by someone that day and day came up long or short. It was a joke. I just pray the state or federal government find time to introduce law that protect people for "companies" that profit from outrageous interest rates. O well you been warned. I was paid $10 a hour but believe me it wasn't enough to put up with their antics and crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementSure look into a more moral way to do business with your customers.

Job overview

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNot micro managed, freedom of own space

Consunrealistic goals that mgmt wants you to meet

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Check 'n Go? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Check 'n Go reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Check 'n Go CEO Jared A. Davis. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Check 'n Go employees.