Check 'n Go

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014
1.9

Jared A. Davis

Pros
  • Developing customer relationships is the only PRO (in 3 reviews)

• The work schedule was great for me (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management does whatever they want (in 7 reviews)

• That great customer service gets thrown away as you assume the role of a creditor (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for Short Term Employment

I worked at Check 'n Go

Pros

Overtime Hours
    Working Benefits (e.g. discounts)

Cons

Management wasn't consistent
    No competitive pay

Need to pay employees more and ask for less

Nightmare

I worked at Check 'n Go

Pros

none that I can really sell to you

Cons

everything about the company period

Run the other way.

I have been working at Check 'n Go

Pros

I really can't think of any pros to the job.

Cons

The worst part is the hours, super long days. No work-life balance. Really unrealistic expectations of all the work to be accomplished in a day. Also, you have to put out thousands of flyers a week without closing your store to do so. Thousands. This is supposed to build your new customers up to meet the unrealistic goals that upper management sets for you at the same time you must insure all of your other customers pay back on time because they will chop heads for high debt in a store.

Care more about your employees. We see how much money we make for you.

Ok, however it can be dangerous if the store does not have protective glass.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Check 'n Go (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours were pretty good (9-6) monday thru Friday and Sat (9-1).

Cons

It can be dangerous because there is not security or protective glass.

Add protective glass to all stores.

do not recommend

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Manager

I worked at Check 'n Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you will get guaranteed hours. helping customers and building loyal customer relationships.

Cons

safety was not a priority for our regional district. Constantly on the edge to scan every customer walking in. Never provided a partner for bank runs. 90 percent of the time, you are by yourself with a high volume of customers. Underpaid for the stress and work you deal with. manager was hardly there. You are your own manager and store operator. not enough time with your family. lots of pressure.

Regional supervisors should meet one on one with their employees to meet goals, review safety issues, and what can they do to help and improve individual stores. Need to provide raises.

There expectations of employees is unrealistic.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Check 'n Go full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the customer are great, in spite of having to pay an interest rate that is more like a loan shark.

Cons

Management is unrealistic about goals, they never follow through with anything they say. They also have a bad habit of talking at you not to you.

Get district managers that want to help the employees that are in the stores everyday. Show the employees you care more than just about the bottom line. Because you wouldn't be doing business with out us.

CSR

I worked at Check 'n Go

Pros

NONE TO MENTION AS THIS WAS THE WORST JOB OF MY LIFE!

Cons

They never offer you full time ...just short of 37 hrs a week, and this is cool because you will be worked like a slave, except you get a stiffen( very small one) and a slave didn't.. The safety training video is a joke,as it will not help you from getting hurt at all. While doing cashier duties you are expected to clean the lobby and shovel the snow outside. Take out the garbage through the front door and walk around the block to the the alley to dispose of it since ur not allowed to open the back door, due to safety reasons of course.. The managers at the the store are either dumb as a bunch of rocks, or very knowledgeable and underpaid. I year after I left I heard on the news that the manager had gotten robbed while dropping off their bank at the bank next door.....I was always scared of that happening to me as I thought it was a very unsafe procedure. With all the money this business generates, it should have a Armour car pick up at least!.

Treat ur employees better, and pay them what they and the job is worth!

Fired without even a warning or write-up

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Check 'n Go part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the customer interaction. I also gained a lot of experience in three short months because you are expected to do so much.

Cons

The training is a joke. All your training is done on a computer; reading material and taking tests for two weeks straight. Then once you complete your online courses you get hands on training with your manager for 1-2 days and that's it, you're on your own. They focus so much on the 'online courses' that they fail to give you adequate hands on training that I believe is so much more important and beneficial. Also, I was trained by a manager that had only been there three months longer than me!
    Be careful that you do everything exactly right and by the books or you will be fired without notice or reprimand. I was fired at my 90-day review. I worked hard and I was always willing and available to work more hours. I was always filling in for my mgr. and when we did work together she was always on her phone while I took care of all the customers. Despite all my positive attributes, I made one mistake and that cost me my job. You have to make copies of everything - every 30 days! A customer came in and it was time to update her paystub, she told me they had just switched to paperless and that she didn't have it but she could log into her work account and show me her pay stub. I thought that was fine since I did in fact see it for myself. I was wrong. Because there wasn't a paper copy in her file I got fired. The aspect of this company that upsets me the most is that I never got a warning or a write up, they just waited two weeks for my 90-day review to come up and that's when they told me that I was in violation of 'compliance' so they had to let me go. Oh, and by the way, in less than a week my mgr. had gotten a hold of the customer and she faxed her paystub to our office. It was a simple fix yet I still had to pay the price!

I think you need to reconsider how your employees are trained. There needs to be more focus on hands-on training.

The Worst of my Twenty Year career!!!!!!

Current Employee - District Director of Operations in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - District Director of Operations in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Check 'n Go full-time

Pros

You Get paid but as far as bonuses,, No one could ever explain it...?

Cons

I really don't know where to start from to keep this from being too long.
    I have never seen a company who could care less about their employees than this one. As upper management you are expected to hire less than desirable employees for very little pay, work then like slaves and get them to be superstars. only 1 full time employee unless the store has an insane amount of accounts. The company culture as so bad that cringe every day I have to go to work. we have to write up good manager to keep them from getting their bonuses and fire the one that upper management don't like. As DDO's you be made out to look like the bad guy while the regional's smile in the employees faces then tell you to find a way fire them because of they way they look. Most of the Regional's have very little financial Expertise or college and come from places like block buster or a declining retail business. the only thing they can do is follow the their bosses lead as they cannot think for themselves.

I do understand everyone needs a job but just make this a short stopping point and move on. this company does not make you proud to work for it.

I will leave with one stat. They had 60% upper management turnover rate last year. I was in a meeting and The senior vice President said he fired a man because he thought he arrogant, and he said that with HR in the same room, but HR is also a joke.

Listen to the boots on the ground, The district manager pay attention to their employees instead of getting 100 emails a day. stop saying what people are not doing and people to do it better. Build moral and stop writing up people for anything. we lose a lot of good people that makes the job much harder than it has to be.
    Stop the marketing crap, no one comes in because of a flyer on their car. that was in 1990? The bigger companies market like pros, TV, RADIO, BILLBOARDS. we are behind the times!!!

cheap company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Check 'n Go full-time (more than an year)

Pros

lack of supervision and slow work days

Cons

everything else is subpar at best

pay a livable wage and reimburse our gas